If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 1, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #7,861 of 19,246
  I've had a pair for about ten years, and they work just fine.  So probably not.

First year of production here and barring physical abuse, they still seem to my ears to be as good as new.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #7,863 of 19,246
Hi, i bought my ER-4P a couple years ago, not knowing what they could offer and whit no headfi experience. I think i only used it a couple of times when the urge to buy grados and stax took my focus away from them.

Today i have owned Almost every Grado, Some Stax's, AKG, Ultrasone, etc. and today i own Audeze LCD-2 2.2 pre-fazor coupled whit Schiit Lyr amp.

To much money have been spent on the hunt for pure sound, and countless hours listening to different headphones etc. A quite depressing time really, thinking about all the wasted money. 

Well, I began to take whit me my ER-4P and my old iPod Classic 160gb out for a walk,  and noticed that they sounded pretty clean and crisp, and i kinda liked the way sound was presented to me, the bass and kick sounded tight and precise, with details i've never heard before, it was like having my favorite band or musician between my ears, flowing along whit my thoughts and my "inner self" (wow, i nearly got lost there for a moment! i have had som really deep thinking lately, Hehe) 

I was baffled about all the money i have spent to fint the perfect sound, when the reality is that i have had my favorite IEM lying in my drawer all these years without even knowing. 

I have now decided to sell my Audeze cans and Schiit amp.

But there is one thing i want to ask you guys, my ER-4P have no red spot on the Right plug, and also have a smaller 90deg connector that other ER-4 i have come over.

When did they start using read dot on right plug? and which model have bigger 90deg connector? and i have also seen some ER-4 whit blue outer housing on left and red on right.

I'm trying to figure out what production year my ER-4P are.

Thanks in advance.

I decided to add a picture of my ER-4P

Sorry if my writing is bad, i'm a Scandinavian :wink:

PS. First post after 5 years away from Head-Fi. Damn, time goes fast!

Also you could probably email Etymotic with the serial numbers from the drivers and they could tell you when it was produced.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #7,865 of 19,246
@Hutnicks For sure one of my best audio purchases. Absolutely zero regrets and they hold up to new multidriver (Noble 5) and hybrid releases (Klipsch X20i), for me.

I wouldnt be surprised.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #7,868 of 19,246
  Can anybody comment on sound quality when the filters are taken out?

It becomes sibilant and peaky and also extremely bright.

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #7,870 of 19,246
Can anybody comment on sound quality when the filters are taken out?

You also can't expect the earphones to last long working like that in your ears... :blink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 1, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #7,872 of 19,246
I've noticed an issue. The DP-X1 case is quite thin and I imagine not very impact resistant. Oh why isn't there an otterbox for this exquisite DAP? Oh I know why. Because Otterbox caters to the average consumer. Not an audio enthusiast. :mad:

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #7,873 of 19,246
I've noticed an issue. The DP-X1 case is quite thin and I imagine not very impact resistant. Oh why isn't there an otterbox for this exquisite DAP? Oh I know why. Because Otterbox caters to the average consumer. Not an audio enthusiast.
mad.gif

Having just gone through the gamut of cases from S3 to S4, lifeforce, knock offs. etc etc etc. The Ottercrotch rules. I will never again stray from the one true case:) Perhaps if enough folk expressed interest the good people at Otter would whip one up for your DP. Costs nothing to send an email.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #7,874 of 19,246
Having just gone through the gamut of cases from S3 to S4, lifeforce, knock offs. etc etc etc. The Ottercrotch rules. I will never again stray from the one true case:) Perhaps if enough folk expressed interest the good people at Otter would whip one up for your DP. Costs nothing to send an email.

Good idea. Only it would have to take more than one email for that to happen lol. It'll just be easier for me to modify the existing case to something more protective. I don't know how I'll do it but I'll try.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #7,875 of 19,246
Good idea. Only it would have to take more than one email for that to happen lol. It'll just be easier for me to modify the existing case to something more protective. I don't know how I'll do it but I'll try.

Well, Otter are pretty good at jumping into a market. One email may set the minds to exploring the possibilities.:0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back