If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 8, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #7,141 of 19,251
  Care to share how many years? Seeing these IEM's are 18 years old, so far the record has been 7.

1991 is the year when ER4 was released, so it is a bit older than 18yrs.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #7,142 of 19,251
  Original transducers too?! I would imagine the cable would need servicing since then but if the transducers are 1st run that is amazing! How low are the SerNos?

One driver replaced a few years after I bought them. Fell asleep on an aircraft and snapped the connector. That is why the rears are epoxied now. Original Cable

Sorry for the bad pic. Late here and cheapo phonecam will have to do.
Yes that is a 4 digit number 2114 on the left The right is 18937. Quite literally I bought UHF magazine and read the review, called the number and basically said gimme, here's my credit card number. They had not shipped anything but demos to Canadian reviewers at the time, so I was told so they really had no idea on shipping. We got it done, cost was just a whisker over 650 bucks CDN at the time and worth every damn cent of it so far.
When I called to RMA the broken driver, some years later. The kind woman on the phone made me read the numbers back to her twice. She could not believe the low number and had no idea they had made it to Canada.

1991 is the year when ER4 was released, so it is a bit older than 18yrs.

The ER4S was a little later. I know these are over 20 years old but of course do not have any kind of reciept for them any longer. 94 or 95 comes to mind, but hey, it has been a while so memory may not be so good.

Oddly, as stiff and unloved as the original twisty licorice cable is, you would be hard pressed to see any aging whatsoever on it were I to hand these to you at a meet. It has endured much better than some other exotiques that I could care to name:)

And yeah. ETY,if you are out there. They still are the reference by which all other IEM's that come my way are judged. And still nothing has beat the overall package yet. Caveat here is, I have never found them to be lacking in bass as have so many who review them. I may just have the right hearing for the ER4s
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #7,144 of 19,251
Finally I got my 75 ohm adapter from Bocur Audio which sounds amazing compared to the original Etymotic 75 ohm cable. :beerchug:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BOCUR-AUDIO-PURE-COPPER-99-99-75OHM-ADAPTER-CABLE-FREE-SHIPPING-TO-WORLDWIDE-/331798876094?nav=SEARCH

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #7,145 of 19,251
I have never found them to be lacking in bass as have so many who review them. I may just have the right hearing for the ER4s
biggrin.gif

There is bass in the ER-4 , but you have to consciously feel for it, not just listen for it, especially if you've come from other earphones - particularly dynamic driver ones where the bass is presented to you and pumping air through your nasal canals 

Once you have gotten used to the differences they have compared to your previous earphones, the sensation can only be described as sweet and beautiful - you discover that things like direct bit-copy and resampling on computer audio arent just myths, they do make a difference in the sound

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #7,146 of 19,251
It really depends on synergy with your source as well as how comfortable you are with eq. Also has to do with what headphones you are coming from prior to hearing the er4s. If you've had bassier multi armature Iems, you may feel like something is lacking.

I'm cool with proper bass eq or boost from an amp. In fact, I recommend it. The kind that doesn't interfere with mids. For acoustic bass, the er4s seem to be more than enough.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #7,147 of 19,251
Hey Folks.. who makes the 'quietest' cables for awwan's adapter. Leaning towards the 2pin version for reliability. They probably all have to go over the ears like the stock cables, thought it'd be nice if they were acceptable without doing so if my sitting still in a chair!  Thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #7,148 of 19,251
Hey Folks.. who makes the 'quietest' cables for awwan's adapter. Leaning towards the 2pin version for reliability. They probably all have to go over the ears like the stock cables, thought it'd be nice if they were acceptable without doing so if my sitting still in a chair!  Thanks for your thoughts.

Linum Bax.

Mar 12, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #7,149 of 19,251

Linum Bax.

Agreed - see previous post

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #7,150 of 19,251
Thanks guys.  Considering expense (cables plus adapters) I might wait till my originals fail/falter.  
Edit>>took a lot of reading, but noticed some complaints about the length of cable from the Y to the IEM's.. I think I saw 11" quoted.  My stock 4P's are over 13.5. Sadly (on many levels!) I have a Big head AND I'm fat (so fairly double-chinned!).  Think will be an issue if over ear. Understand 'low' micro-yada-yada's if not over ear, but do appreciate Silent backgrounds.
Anyone know if the 'Music' version is any longer in the  head area?

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #7,151 of 19,251
Sorry for the shameless plug here - one of the guy who ordered the ER4P cable doesn't want to pay and now I have one extra up fro grab. Check here for detail. SOLD

Also, I received a few request to build more cable after the original 3 batch, so I am considering reopening a new for sale thread for more built. Most likely it will be around the end of this month, and I will announce it here as well.

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #7,153 of 19,251
I have a question for those who use the Comply T100/TX100 tips, since the tips fit so deep in the ear canal does that mean I should run a size smaller than I would normally use with a shallow fit IEM? While I understand that they sell kits with S/M/L, I would prefer to buy a single size since in one purchase I would have enough tips to last me a year. I used my last set of IEMs with Comply tips for 4 months before the foam started to show indication of needing replacement. 

I am going to rescrub this thread to find others suggestions for tips because although I can get a good seal with both the gray and frosted tri-flange 'my virgin ears' wonder if I could find something with a bit more comfort.....

I was absolutely blown away by the bass performance upon my initial listen today. Makes me skeptical of those who say that the ER4 has no bass. There are graphs showing sub bass roll off, EQ settings to elevate <50hz, filter changes, etc etc but what any prospective buyer should know is that these BA (balanced armature, but one could argue BAD *****) IEMs can produce bass and keep up with most genres of music for a pleasurable listening experience. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #7,154 of 19,251
Originally Posted by GreatestUnKnown /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a question for those who use the Comply T100/TX100 tips, since the tips fit so deep in the ear canal does that mean I should run a size smaller than I would normally use with a shallow fit IEM? While I understand that they sell kits with S/M/L, I would prefer to buy a single size since in one purchase I would have enough tips to last me a year. I used my last set of IEMs with Comply tips for 4 months before the foam started to show indication of needing replacement. 

I am going to rescrub this thread to find others suggestions for tips because although I can get a good seal with both the gray and frosted tri-flange 'my virgin ears' wonder if I could find something with a bit more comfort.....

I was absolutely blown away by the bass performance upon my initial listen today. Makes me skeptical of those who say that the ER4 has no bass. There are graphs showing sub bass roll off, EQ settings to elevate <50hz, filter changes, etc etc but what any prospective buyer should know is that these BA (balanced armature, but one could argue BAD *****) IEMs can produce bass and keep up with most genres of music for a pleasurable listening experience. 

I think go for smaller size than your normal size and give a chance to Shure Olives.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #7,155 of 19,251

I have always found the Ety gliders to be the best for comfort, but there is no way they will last 4 months. Then again, I'm sure I couldn't make any foam tip last that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back