If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 14, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #7,156 of 19,254

I have always found the Ety gliders to be the best for comfort, but there is no way they will last 4 months. Then again, I'm sure I couldn't make any foam tip last that long.

Try Shure olive (black foam). The fitting will be a bit tight, but that thing lasts forever.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #7,157 of 19,254
I received ClieOS replacement cables for my ER4S yesterday. Not only it screams "quality" written all over, it definitely reduced microphonics which I didn't expect it to be but nonetheless nice surprise. So far I tried S cable and it sounds smoother than the original cable. I had my ER4S for a very long time and very familiar with its sound signature and this cable sounds different than the original, I couldn't be happier. Thanks ClieOS for doing this service to this community.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #7,158 of 19,254
Glad you like it
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #7,160 of 19,254
LOOKING FOR A CABLE
Has anyone seen something like this: a 75ohm P>S 'extension' cable: 1/4" male (with the resistors), a few feet of light cable, then 3.5mm female (light as possible).  I'd like to use my headset at my desk with my Oppo HA-1, and have some extra cable to get up and safely stretch my legs.
Maybe someone around here makes something like this? Thanks folks!!

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #7,161 of 19,254
  LOOKING FOR A CABLE
Has anyone seen something like this: a 75ohm P>S 'extension' cable: 1/4" male (with the resistors), a few feet of light cable, then 3.5mm female (light as possible).  I'd like to use my headset at my desk with my Oppo HA-1, and have some extra cable to get up and safely stretch my legs.
Maybe someone around here makes something like this? Thanks folks!!

Most options are short pigtail types for the adapter. I am sure you could get it custom made (try Forza), but otherwise it is going to be adapter plus standard 3.5mm cable extender.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #7,162 of 19,254
Finally collected both my 4B and 4S cables skillfully made by ClieOS. I'm really enjoying the 4B cable (over ear) plugged into my Chord Mojo with the DX90 playing tracks from Malia & Boris Blank's Convergence album ....Amazing Sound minus the microphonics from the original cable. Thanks ClieOS....amazing job on the cables...you made my day 
etysmile.gif

I'm very surprised how well the ER4B paired with Mojo. Tried the 4S cable but I prefer the sound from the 4B cable paired with the Mojo. Every single bass drum, snare and percussion note hits with authority along as the rest of the cymbals and instruments. Listening to Bob James and Earl Klugh - Cool album, track 3 (So much in common) now and loving it......

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #7,163 of 19,254
Am I the only shy about cable changing? I feel like connectors can become worn easily! Wonder about your experiences.

Also, thanks for your service ClieOS! I have a question if you don't mind: Why lunashops cable? (Did I miss something?)

What about doing just adapter? Have you ever thought about this? With that way, people can use every cable on your adapters :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #7,164 of 19,254
  Am I the only shy about cable changing? I feel like connectors can become worn easily! Wonder about your experiences.

Also, thanks for your service ClieOS! I have a question if you don't mind: Why lunashops cable? (Did I miss something?)

What about doing just adapter? Have you ever thought about this? With that way, people can use every cable on your adapters :)

Lunashops cables or not....it sure sounds damn good to me.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #7,166 of 19,254

My concern has been the shape of ClieOS and awwan's connectors.  It's probably the shape of my ear (distance from top of canal to the outside of ear), but the 'part' of the stock connector that would be replaced already goes mostly into my ear's body.  I can't imagine the larger 'block-like' substitutes sitting comfortably in there. But I'd love to switch to a cable like the Linum that might not need over-ear routing except for chamber music!

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #7,167 of 19,254
  My concern has been the shape of ClieOS and awwan's connectors.  It's probably the shape of my ear (distance from top of canal to the outside of ear), but the 'part' of the stock connector that would be replaced already goes mostly into my ear's body.  I can't imagine the larger 'block-like' substitutes sitting comfortably in there. But I'd love to switch to a cable like the Linum that might not need over-ear routing except for chamber music!

Exactly! That's another concern of mine. One of my wish is connector just like original one. Maybe that's why Etymotic use adapters in cable.

If awwan adapters wasn't big, it can be amazing with Linum (for me).

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #7,168 of 19,254

I was hunting for a cheap but well-built cable for my Hifiman RE1000 and I end up getting one from Lunashops and I quite like it (...and simply because I am not the kind of guy that spends crazy money on cable). So when the idea of building a replacement cable for my ER4 came up, I thought the same cable will fit the bill. Turns out it is a near perfect match as the cable has the right diameter to loop inside the adapter to form a solid strain relief so there is lesser chance the user will put stress on the solder joint when accidentally yanking the cable. Too thin and then it won't fit tight enough, too thick and it won't fit inside at all. For example, I like the Linum BaX as well (and the price isn't that bad), but it is way too thin to be used in an ER4 adapter like that way I am doing it now. If you are looking for answer like 'because lunashops cable sounds like magic...' then unfortunately that is no the case. I am only using it because it works well for what I need it to be and cheap enough that even if I broke it in the future, I am not going to be too upset about it.

I am actually experimenting on making ER4 adapter with two pins socket- more specifically for Linum BaX. Not sure how that will go as I have only just ordered the parts a few hours ago. But this is more of a fun challenge for me to see whether I can do it or not rather than trying to improve on what I have now.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #7,169 of 19,254

I was hunting for a cheap but well-built cable for my Hifiman RE1000 and I end up getting one from Lunashops and I quite like it (...and simply because I am not the kind of guy that spends crazy money on cable). So when the idea of building a replacement cable for my ER4 came up, I thought the same cable will fit the bill. Turns out it is a near perfect match as the cable has the right diameter to loop inside the adapter to form a solid strain relief so there is lesser chance the user will put stress on the solder joint when accidentally yanking the cable. Too thin and then it won't fit tight enough, too thick and it won't fit inside at all. For example, I like the Linum BaX as well (and the price isn't that bad), but it is way too thin to be used in an ER4 adapter like that way I am doing it now. If you are looking for answer like 'because lunashops cable sounds like magic...' then unfortunately that is no the case. I am only using it because it works well for what I need it to be and cheap enough that even if I broke it in the future, I am not going to be too upset about it.

I am actually experimenting on making ER4 adapter with two pins socket- more specifically for Linum BaX. Not sure how that will go as I have only just ordered the parts a few hours ago. But this is more of a fun challenge for me to see whether I can do it or not rather than trying to improve on what I have now.

Thanks for detailed explanation, that's what I was looking for! Looking forward for your 2-pin connector + Linum project, good luck :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #7,170 of 19,254

Wonder if you could build it up at that point with a few layers of heat shrink tubing?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back