If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 18, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #6,931 of 19,246
Hm. I think my ER4S just became almost exactly like my Q701's... which is bad.
The Awan connector and stock Shure cables might have changed the sound quite a bit. Where the bass is a bit looser than before, less extension in the highs and mids seem to be warmer/less clear. Needless to say I'd rather have a modular cable that is easily replaceable than having to give up my ER4S for two weeks again.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #6,932 of 19,246
Hm. I think my ER4S just became almost exactly like my Q701's... which is bad.
The Awan connector and stock Shure cables might have changed the sound quite a bit. Where the bass is a bit looser than before, less extension in the highs and mids seem to be warmer/less clear. Needless to say I'd rather have a modular cable that is easily replaceable than having to give up my ER4S for two weeks again.

I didn't like that setup either. Hanging on for dear life with a frayed (the rubber only) cable and a worn 75 ohm adaptor.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #6,934 of 19,246
Seems like a few of you have problem with your ER4 cable. I wonder - will there be any interest if I offer my service for free to build you guys the same cable I have (http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/6885#post_12242398)? You will only be paying for cost of parts and shipping of course, but parts cost will be less than US$40 for sure, including the adapter, cable guide and SPC cable from Lunashops, plus a pair of SMD resistors. Shouldn't be a problem of you want either P, S or B version. Just one thing - While my measurement does indicate they should be identical sounding to the original cable, I don't claim you will hear the same thing.

If you are interested, PM me. If there is enough interest, i'll start a for sale thread and we can go from there.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #6,935 of 19,246
Seems like a few of you have problem with your ER4 cable. I wonder - will there be any interest if I offer my service for free to build you guys the same cable I have (http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/6885#post_12242398)? You will only be paying for cost of parts and shipping of course, but parts cost will be less than US$40 for sure, including the adapter, cable guide and SPC cable from Lunashops, plus a pair of SMD resistors. Shouldn't be a problem of you want either P, S or B version. Just one thing - While my measurement does indicate they should be identical sounding to the original cable, I don't claim you will hear the same thing.

If you are interested, PM me. If there is enough interest, i'll start a for sale thread and we can go from there.

2 questions.
1. Do you assemble regular ER4S Cables? (not ER4P/B)
2. Do those cables have the metal ear hooks inside the cables?

If both answers of 1 and 2 is yes then count me in :D

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #6,937 of 19,246
  2 questions.
1. Do you assemble regular ER4S Cables? (not ER4P/B)
2. Do those cables have the metal ear hooks inside the cables?

If both answers of 1 and 2 is yes then count me in :D

1. You can specify which version you want, either P, S, or B. It is an one piece, fully finished cable that is meant to be a direct replacement of the original cable. But instead of having a pod in the middle of the cable like the original cable, the resistors are moved into the adapter / connector (see pic below) itself and therefore there is no more pod to weight the cable down.
14-xin-er4-z-2.jpg

2. No, there is no memory wire on the cable. While it is no difficult to DIY the memory wire into the existing SPC cable (which is just a small length of soft steel or copper wire wrapped in heat shrink), it will probably increase the diameter of the SPC cable too much that it will no longer fit inside the adapter. But as far as over-the-ear wearing style is concerned - I can confirm that the SPC cable is soft enough to wrap around the ear without much problem. As long as you use the cable guide / chin guide to secure the cable around your neck, I don't think it will be a problem to use it over-the-ear with any memory wire.

Note: I just notice Lunashops is closing store tomorrow for the Chinese New Year Holidays and will only reopen a month later, so I am just going to order enough parts from them to build 4 cables. So this will be a first come first served basis. Once 4 persons sign up for them, any extra build will have to wait till middle of next month to continue.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #6,938 of 19,246

1. You can specify which version you want, either P, S, or B. It is an one piece, fully finished cable that is meant to be a direct replacement of the original cable. But instead of having a pod in the middle of the cable like the original cable, the resistors are moved into the adapter / connector (see pic below) itself and therefore there is no more pod to weight the cable down.
14-xin-er4-z-2.jpg

2. No, there is no memory wire on the cable. While it is no difficult to DIY the memory wire into the existing SPC cable (which is just a small length of soft steel or copper wire wrapped in heat shrink), it will probably increase the diameter of the SPC cable too much that it will no longer fit inside the adapter. But as far as over-the-ear wearing style is concerned - I can confirm that the SPC cable is soft enough to wrap around the ear without much problem. As long as you use the cable guide / chin guide to secure the cable around your neck, I don't think it will be a problem to use it over-the-ear with any memory wire.

Note: I just notice Lunashops is closing store tomorrow for the Chinese New Year Holidays and will only reopen a month later, so I am just going to order enough parts from them to build 4 cables. So this will be a first come first served basis. Once 4 persons sign up for them, any extra build will have to wait till middle of next month to continue. 

Would you possibly be able to fit one outside the adapter? Or does the memory wire being inside the cable count as part of the adapter.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #6,939 of 19,246
  Would you possibly be able to fit one outside the adapter? Or does the memory wire being inside the cable count as part of the adapter.

Not in anyway that won't either stress the adapter itself or the cable. For a memory wire to work, it must be heat shrinked to the cable and anchored to the adapter in order not to create any stress point, but there simply isn't have enough room for that to work. If I force it in, eventually the adapter will crack. If I leave the memory wire loose, it will eventually twice the cable too much to snap it.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #6,940 of 19,246
Jan 19, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #6,942 of 19,246
I'm even afraid to send them to etymotic because I don't want the cable to make them sound different than they are. I wish they would sell some on the side so I could compare. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's for real!

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #6,943 of 19,246
Modified cross-post from Fiio forum.

I have Etymotic ER4P. I have already sent them in once for re-cabling/rebuild and have been frustrated with the microphonics of the stock cable.

Today I ordered the shure cable adapters for the ER4's off of eBay. Does anyone have any experience with the Fiio replacement cables on ER4's? Is the cord noise reported better/worse/same as the etymotic stock cables?

Is there a preferred cable to use for the 4p? I've seen people recommend Westone but the ER4 Westone adapter wasn't available on ebay. I am assuming the connectors are not interchangeable.

For now, I've reinforced my stock cable at the plugs using a ball point pen springs but I like the thought of being able to change out the cable myself if there is a problem.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

i found the Fiio cable was really bad for cable noise, worse than the original cable!

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #6,944 of 19,246
I think for me its end of the road for ER4S, I've decided I'm going to sell them. From dopamine rushes with JDS Labs C421 at the begginging, to beautiful mids with Colorfly C4, the relaxing slightly under powered sound of Pono player, throw in an ear injury, followed by a dash of ownership doubt and uncertainty from that moment onwards, to goodbye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back