If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 15, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #6,736 of 19,246
I think there is a tinge of smoothness in the C5 amp that works really well with the er4s. I have a dx90 and pairs well with the er4s. Just not quite as smooth. But give yourself an hour or two, or a long flight and you'll find that the dx90 and er4s work well together. A little eq on the dx90 and not too much volume. Hours of enjoyment. I would love to check out a dx80.

I also really like my phonak audeo perfect bass with the green filters. Tried the grey, too harsh for me these days. Throw on some shure triple flanges with the big flange cut off and you've got some great synergy on a budget.

I'm surprised you say that about airplanes, I find that even with isolating IEMs, they're still quite intolerably loud. I always feel fatigued by turning up the volume to hear my music over that incessant roar.

As a side note, has anyone ever seen triple flange tips that are as small as the smaller ones that come with the ER4? I have small ear canals and basically everything else I've tried just feels massive and uncomfortable.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #6,737 of 19,246
Er4s remain my favourite iem! Ive had a few customs but always return to the Ety's. They scale so well with source/amp! Unfortunately they have to go away for repair - I shall miss them :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #6,738 of 19,246
Er4s remain my favourite iem! Ive had a few customs but always return to the Ety's. They scale so well with source/amp! Unfortunately they have to go away for repair - I shall miss them
frown.gif

Do you decide you don't need the customs or simply find the ER4S always has a place in the stable? 

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #6,740 of 19,246
I love mine a lot. Recently have been sent back for repair, but I hope to get them back soon.

In the meantime AKG 204DFs are my cans of choice, these two pairs are ideal for what I listen to.

When I heard ER4S back in 2003 I was pleasantly shocked, there was no other headphone that could actually satisfy me after that.

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #6,741 of 19,246
What's all of your favorite foam tip? Do you prefer Comply or Shure Olives? If comply, do you find that the tips with the wax guard (plus) effect the sound? If Shure olives, has you found a difference since Shure started using a wax guard? 

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #6,742 of 19,246
  What's all of your favorite foam tip? Do you prefer Comply or Shure Olives? If comply, do you find that the tips with the wax guard (plus) effect the sound? If Shure olives, has you found a difference since Shure started using a wax guard? 

I prefer Shure olives for its noise isolation.

There was a good article (maybe on innerfidelity) of iem monitors with different tips, and their measurements barely varied, I think the 'effect' in sound is often exaggerated or just simply imagined. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #6,744 of 19,246
  I prefer Shure olives for its noise isolation.

The Shure Olives are my favorite with the Etys. 

Thanks guys! So you haven't noticed any change in sound quality between when the olives had open bore holes and the ones with the wax guard? 

I've been listening today and found the Olives preferable and more comfortable than the Westone star tips 

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #6,745 of 19,246
I haven't tried the new ones yet. I'm curious if the wax guard makes affects the sound. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #6,748 of 19,246
Found some AKG K702s massively slashed for Black Friday. What does everyone think of them as an over-the-ear, open-back companion to the ER4s?

They have a similar sound, with much, much wider soundstage. Sub bass can be extended with a simple reversible mod.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6,749 of 19,246
AKG K702 are hard to drive in which case they can sound "lite". I'd say even harder to drive than the 600Ohm AKG 240DF. Generally the old 240DF are better sounding in my opinion. It is not a truth that came to me right away. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #6,750 of 19,246

Same here, Shure olives + ER-4 makes an awesome combo. Sound remains typical Ety with a bit of sibilance/high freq harshness removed and maybe a tad more bass. I have both original & updated wax guard versions, and they sound the same. Isolation is also excellent and comfort pretty good (still deep insertion though). For me, Olives are the way to go, can't bear Ety stock tips anymore since I tried them on.

Also I found the Westone Star Tips to make the sound a little bassier/muddled, although they're comfortable and easy to put on and off. They're aren't best at isolation either.

Comply tips get dirty very quickly, they're not nearly as resistant as Shure's black foams and I can't afford changing foams every 2 weeks haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back