If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 7, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #5,581 of 19,246
  I already have a full custom IEM from Custom Art with perfect fit, thats was my reason to order these custom tips for the ER-4S. I've read before the most custom tips / or remolds are not good and the sound changed in a really bad way, but with these perfect results. The price was good too (74 Euro with fast shipping).

That's an excellent price -I guess it doesn't include impressions as they would already have had yours on file, but please PM the details as I'm very interested. Thanks

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #5,583 of 19,246

Custom Tips from Custom Art, no sound change in a bad manner (only very very slightly more smooth highs), slightly more isolation and much more comfortable right now for me!

I haven't heard anything good about the tips from Ety, but those look great. I have already had impressions taken, maybe this is my chance to finally use them. Thanks for posting.

-sheldon

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #5,584 of 19,246
I just noticed the Geek Out IEM 100 DAC/Amp combo unit operates at .47 ohm. 

http://marketplace.lhlabs.com/products/geek-out-iem-100-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier

Does anybody know the ideal output impedance for the various ER4 models?

-sheldon

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #5,585 of 19,246

http://marketplace.lhlabs.com/products/geek-out-iem-100-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier

-sheldon

the ideal value is: you don't care. ^_^
you need 75ohm to go from P to S so it's not 2 or 3ohms difference from the source that will significantly change the sound.(and I say that as being a great thing!)

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5,586 of 19,246

the ideal value is: you don't care. ^_^
you need 75ohm to go from P to S so it's not 2 or 3ohms difference from the source that will significantly change the sound.(and I say that as being a great thing!)

I have a headphone amp which has a knob to change the impedance. 8, 32, 128, and 300. I can say with great certainty that changing impedance does have an undeniable effect. However, I understand that 2 or 3 ohms won't make much a difference. 

I guess what I'm asking is what is the optimal impedance for the various ER4 models? Getting somewhere close to that, I believe, would be important.

-sheldon

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #5,587 of 19,246

luisdent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  When removing filters, I recommend slowly turning the filter removal tool into the filter ONLY as much as is required to pull it out. Try pulling the filter out with only a slight twist of the tool. If that doesn't work try a little more tight twisting. Repeat until the tool removes the filter with the least screwing possible.

The metal filters you have there are tighter than the plastic filters and Etymotic claims they can crack the barrel of the ER4. I've used them before with no problems, but they are definitely tighter than the plastic. And what I've found is that I can actually remove plastic filters with no damage to the filters using only the removal tool. But it takes a few times to get it right and you might ruin a filter or two in the process. But the other day I switched back and forth between the same set of red and green filters two times before damaging them.

The key is the tool. As you turn it tighter is applies more outward pressure to the filters. When you do this enough the plastic filters start to has stress marks and then crack. I wouldn't use them at that point. This is because the tool is pushing them outwards. If you do this with the metal filters I would guess the already tighter filter would be pressed outward and could thus break the nozzle. So just be careful, that's all.

Just my two cents. :wink:

I got bored and decided to try the orange filters. I started out using your advice re removal, and not going very deep. But the metal filters seem to be a lot more difficult to remove. The stock removal tool can't really get a bite into the metal barrel. I started out gently, then pretty much pushing and turning as hard as I could to try and get the tool into the filter barrel. If I push any harder, I'm afraid I'll damage the nozzle.

Any advice on how to remove the metal Knowles filters with the Etymotic removal tool? Has anyone successfully done this before.

This is tool mentioned here, specifically for removing the metal filters: http://www.knowles.com/eng/Products/Accessories/Dampers
Digikey has some in stock http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BF-1778-000/423-1217-ND/4867480
But it's US$286.88 ...
eek.gif

I wonder if the sales person at the Knowles Taiwan office who gave me these filters would let me borrow one ...
blink.gif

If I'm stuck with the red filters that are in my ER•4Ps, I'm fine with that as I like the sound the way it is. Just wondered if I'd like the orange better.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #5,589 of 19,246
So, I finally gave the red filters a go (plastic ones ftom Ety for the bean quiet soind amplifier--didn't want to risk metal filters).

I am definitely not happy with the change in sound! Luisdent said earlier (much earlier) in this thread that the change was subtle, so I figured even if I decided I preferred the green, I'd still be happy enough with the red.

Not the case! The reds have Sennheiserized my Ety's! They are now laid back and the mids aren't as faithful as they were with the green! Not happy!

Does anyone want to trade me 4 greens for my 4 reds? Please PM me if this interests you. I'm in the USA. Thanks!

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #5,590 of 19,246
So, I finally gave the red filters a go (plastic ones ftom Ety for the bean quiet soind amplifier--didn't want to risk metal filters).

I am definitely not happy with the change in sound! Luisdent said earlier (much earlier) in this thread that the change was subtle, so I figured even if I decided I preferred the green, I'd still be happy enough with the red.

Not the case! The reds have Sennheiserized my Ety's! They are now laid back and the mids aren't as faithful as they were with the green! Not happy!

Does anyone want to trade me 4 greens for my 4 reds? Please PM me if this interests you. I'm in the USA. Thanks!

Thanks for opinions and hope find someone for trade.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #5,591 of 19,246

You must have much more sensitive hearing than I do
etysmile.gif
. I thought the change was subtle myself, and didn't notice a change to mids, maybe upper-mids and highs. As I said above, I couldn't say for sure what changed up high, but thought that something might have.

I didn't know that Ety sold reds. I see they have the orange filters too.
http://www.etymotic.com/er38-50bn-red-filters.html
http://www.etymotic.com/er38-50ht-orange-filters.html
Wish I'd known this before I put the metal ones in. Guess I'll have to drop by Knowles to borrow their removal tool.

I'll trade you the 4 greens I got with mine (I think there were 4 in the original box) for your 4 reds.
I'll send you a PM.

LOL! The orange filters are for the Home Hearing Test www.etymotic.com/consumer/home-hearing-test/home-hearing-test.html

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #5,592 of 19,246

You must have much more sensitive hearing than I do
etysmile.gif
. I thought the change was subtle myself, and didn't notice a change to mids, maybe upper-mids and highs. As I said above, I couldn't say for sure what changed up high, but thought that something might have.

I didn't know that Ety sold reds. I see they have the orange filters too.
http://www.etymotic.com/er38-50bn-red-filters.html
http://www.etymotic.com/er38-50ht-orange-filters.html
Wish I'd known this before I put the metal ones in. Guess I'll have to drop by Knowles to borrow their removal tool.

I'll trade you the 4 greens I got with mine (I think there were 4 in the original box) for your 4 reds.
I'll send you a PM.

LOL! The orange filters are for the Home Hearing Test www.etymotic.com/consumer/home-hearing-test/home-hearing-test.html

Yes, upper-mids is a more accurate description of the area of change.  I'm still listening and I still am not happy, but I'm curious about what the difference are between red and green.

So, I just ordered 6 green filters from Etymotic.  I figured whoever I sell these to in the future should have the option of either one, and as I said, I'm going to take some time to listen to reds, switch to greens, then see if I can articulate the changes in sound after I do.

But thanks for the offer!

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #5,593 of 19,246
sorry for being lazy. I have only read the last 30 pages. 

so can someone help me summarise the effect of the resistor that is not the standard 75ohm ? say 120ohm? 
smily_headphones1.gif
 thanks.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #5,595 of 19,246

-sheldon

You normally want an amplifier with an output impedance at least 10 times lower impedance than the load.  So with the 27 ohm ER-4P you would want an output impedance of 2.7 ohms or less.  Normally the ouput impedance is quoted at one frequency and can vary especially with inductive loads like drivers.  I don't have the impedance curve handy for the ER-4P, but the DC load is probably about 23-27 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back