If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 17, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #5,494 of 19,246

Wearing?

ah should have used a better word, you know like are you getting to like the cable, are you getting used to it. is it wearing on you.

ah, well, it's the same cable, so it doesn't seem any different while i'm actually using it. I do like that it's a bit more flexible than my last cable, but I'm starting to think it might just be that it's new? I don't really know. Time will tell if it lasts, but it is the same as the old cable in "real use". And I have always been a fan of the etymotic original er4 cable personally. I like the long length. I record music and master audio with it, and it's nice to have some slack that other earphones don't. I customize my er4 cables by adding a cord lock and right ear identification mark, so that's even better for cable noise. :) But I never have a problem with cable noise on mine.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #5,495 of 19,246
  let the iem's burn in longer are they new

actually I don't believe much in Burn in. Especially this pair is made from BA.

It seems your ears burned-in in 24 hours :)

They need a bit of lubrication to get a proper seal. I use olive oil, which also helps with ear wax, but water will do fine as well.

Yes, actually my ears got burned in but in about 3 weeks to make those silicon tips soften.

Now, I completely satisfy with Ety performance, excellent details, excellent noise cancellation . Only one negative is that their vocal is a little bit forward, I want to hear other instruments as well. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #5,498 of 19,246

actually I don't believe much in Burn in. Especially this pair is made from BA.

Yes, actually my ears got burned in but in about 3 weeks to make those silicon tips soften.

Now, I completely satisfy with Ety performance, excellent details, excellent noise cancellation . Only one negative is that their vocal is a little bit forward, I want to hear other instruments as well. 

Oh I see. I will wear them more frequent to burn them more :D

It's good to see that you're getting used to them. You're right about vocal but (as you said) it's just a little bit forward, I don't think it prevents instruments, does it?

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #5,499 of 19,246

It's good to see that you're getting used to them. You're right about vocal but (as you said) it's just a little bit forward, I don't think it prevents instruments, does it?

Actually, it blocks other instruments since I listen mainly metal stuffs. I know it is for monitoring purpose but now I may need to find another amp or source that reduce vocal a little bit :D.

oh forgot to mention, vocal is perfect when I use a little bit water. Still don't know why though, now I am burning in their silicon tips...

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,502 of 19,246

Actually, it blocks other instruments since I listen mainly metal stuffs. I know it is for monitoring purpose but now I may need to find another amp or source that reduce vocal a little bit :D.

oh forgot to mention, vocal is perfect when I use a little bit water. Still don't know why though, now I am burning in their silicon tips...

İnteresting. I think rock/metal is one of best genres for er4 (maybe miss some body), so your choice is great. It can be about recordings but if you're sure it's not, you can try with some amps that sounding kind of 'laid back' or V-shaped maybe but I'm still thinking it's just forward a little bit :))

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #5,503 of 19,246
I bought my set of ER4-Ps in about 2006/2007 and have enjoyed them for years. Finally they have completely worn out, so I need a new set of headphones.

After researching the current state of the market I have finally returned to the ER4-Ps as the right choice. I am stunned that almost a decade after I bought my first pair these headphones have not been bested.

Am I crazy? Are there any other choices that have emerged in the interim that I have missed? My priorities are portability, extremely good sound isolation, and detailed, neutral, accurate sound.

Otherwise I'll be ordering my second pair of these - apparently - timeless classics pretty soon.

Tom

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #5,504 of 19,246
  I bought my set of ER4-Ps in about 2006/2007 and have enjoyed them for years. Finally they have completely worn out, so I need a new set of headphones.

After researching the current state of the market I have finally returned to the ER4-Ps as the right choice. I am stunned that almost a decade after I bought my first pair these headphones have not been bested.

Am I crazy? Are there any other choices that have emerged in the interim that I have missed? My priorities are portability, extremely good sound isolation, and detailed, neutral, accurate sound.

Otherwise I'll be ordering my second pair of these - apparently - timeless classics pretty soon.

Tom

These are originally from 1991...you are not the first on to be surprised.

Don't you get the special replacement price if yours fail?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back