If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 16, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #5,476 of 19,254
ER4P + S adapter was $185 at the Ety booth for MacWorld 2004. EDIT: might have been 2005.

Those were the days a quick skim of eBay and I the lowest prices I see are for the er4's are $265.00-$329.00 definitely Either a jump in cost of value or just generally inflation .

Thanks for the info.
I personally don't think that inflation plays a big role there. And the ER4 is not overly complex to produce - one driver, one plastic shell, one connector, one cable, a few tips, cleaning tools...etc.
Nothing to write home about.

Etymotic fixed their prices (like Grado) a few years ago. I think it just them seeing that the ER4 is still going strong and they just want to profit  from their longstanding cash cow a bit more.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #5,477 of 19,254
Yes, it would appear since 1991 the release of ER4 series Etymotic may have covered their research and development costs? But I feel they believe in 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Whoever designed, tuned and committed research on ER4 series has tested the final barriers of audio time, and the rate this thread still moves It doesn't appear ER4S is fading anytime soon. The best way to look at it is, the rest of the audio areas are moving rapidly, sources, amps, and ER4S continue to scale / benefit from this.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #5,478 of 19,254
  Yes, it would appear since 1991 the release of ER4 series Etymotic may have covered their research and development costs? But I feel they believe in 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Whoever designed, tuned and committed research on ER4 series has tested the final barriers of audio time, and the rate this thread still moves It doesn't appear ER4S is fading anytime soon. The best way to look at it is, the rest of the audio areas are moving rapidly, sources, amps, and ER4S continue to scale / benefit from this.

They must have covered the costs, considering it has been almost 1/4 a decade and the drivers are essentially 'bought' at Knowles (no BA design research). From the economical standpoint creating a product which doesn't recuperate it's costs of creation after 25 years is very uneconomical to say the least.
The ER4 is practically the only audio product (not counting hearing aid...) talked about here on Head-Fi.org. Yes, the other cheaper products are there, but at the end the ER4 takes the spotlight - showing that the ER4 is Etymotic's display window product (and perhaps cash cow).

The 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach is a legitimate one, taken by many many major tech companies these days. And in a slow market which doesn't move as quickly, the need for reinvention is not all too pressing.
(but Etymotic Research please consider creating an ER4 with a least a more ergonomic fit)

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #5,479 of 19,254
  They must have covered the costs, considering it has been almost 1/4 a decade and the drivers are essentially 'bought' at Knowles (no BA design research). From the economical standpoint creating a product which doesn't recuperate it's costs of creation after 25 years is very uneconomical to say the least.
The ER4 is practically the only audio product (not counting hearing aid...) talked about here on Head-Fi.org. Yes, the other cheaper products are there, but at the end the ER4 takes the spotlight - showing that the ER4 is Etymotic's display window product (and perhaps cash cow).

The 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach is a legitimate one, taken by many many major tech companies these days. And in a market where the market doesn't move as quickly, the need for reinvention is not all too pressing.
(but Etymotic Research please consider creating an ER4 with a least a more ergonomic fit)

Indeed, when first I heard about ER4S I was doubtful something so old could still sound good or up to date in the year 2012, (I mean lets face it, this was made years ago). I had thoughts surely technology had moved forward and everyone was crazy. I spoke to some people who assured me it wasn't the case with ER4S, still I was reluctant. However, after also being a fan of MDR-V6 for what it was and seeing how long it was around I had to find out. Today ER4S, remains one of the IEM I've never sold, whilst many other newer products have come and gone from this stable.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #5,480 of 19,254

Indeed, when first I heard about ER4S I was doubtful something so old could still sound good or up to date in the year 2012, (I mean lets face it, this was made years ago). I had thoughts surely technology had moved forward and everyone was crazy. I spoke to some people who assured me it wasn't the case with ER4S, still I was reluctant. However, after also being a fan of MDR-V6 for what it was and seeing how long it was around I had to find out. Today ER4S, remains one of the IEM I've never sold, whilst many other newer products have come and gone from this stable.

...thats the point...

The need for updating ones product(line) arises from the market itself and its demands.
And I think that the ER4 shows that our market (at least in this section) has not changes drastically over the last couple of years. Of course BAs were added, crossover designs were improves, but in the end the fundamentals have stayed the same, especially evident in simplistic single BA/DynA designs

This is what keeps the ER4 relevant until today. We have not yet made fundamental quantum leaps into a new era...

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #5,481 of 19,254

Indeed, when first I heard about ER4S I was doubtful something so old could still sound good or up to date in the year 2012, (I mean lets face it, this was made years ago). I had thoughts surely technology had moved forward and everyone was crazy.

What made me doubt for a long time was the raw response. Here's the graph from Knowles for the ED-29689:

That's 20dB down at 7kHz... Just shows the miracles that can be done with proper impedance-matching.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #5,482 of 19,254
  What made me doubt for a long time was the raw response. Here's the graph from Knowles for the ED-29689:

That's 20dB down at 7kHz... Just shows the miracles that can be done with proper impedance-matching.

The masterminds behind ER4 series would be pretty chuffed I imagine!

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #5,483 of 19,254
  Thanks for the info.
I personally don't think that inflation plays a big role there. And the ER4 is not overly complex to produce - one driver, one plastic shell, one connector, one cable, a few tips, cleaning tools...etc.
Nothing to write home about.

Etymotic fixed their prices (like Grado) a few years ago. I think it just them seeing that the ER4 is still going strong and they just want to profit  from their longstanding cash cow a bit more.

Sure, If you are talking about built, the same with Grado. But with proper care ER4 can outlive you
bigsmile_face.gif
Unlike other single BA IEMs Ety can be repaired.
Benefit?! Nah, I don't think so. They have done tremendous research work to develop ER4S while others just fooling around. Therefore the price still reasonable nowadays

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #5,484 of 19,254

Sure, If you are talking about built, the same with Grado. But with proper care ER4 can outlive you
bigsmile_face.gif
Unlike other single BA IEMs Ety can be repaired.
Benefit?! Nah, I don't think so. They have done tremendous research work to develop ER4S while others just fooling around. Therefore the price still reasonable nowadays

initially thought they only replaced the entire iem...but seems i'm wrong

http://www.etymotic.com/support/er4-series-earphones
 Etymotic will replace cables and/or components and modify as needed to meet original factory specifications. Drivers will be matched to ±1dB.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #5,485 of 19,254

The 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach is a legitimate one, taken by many many major tech companies these days. And in a market where the market doesn't move as quickly, the need for reinvention is not all too pressing.

that makes a bit of sense

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5,486 of 19,254

Agreed, I have bought and sold many iems, but the er4s is my rock. And with a proper fit, I think it might possibly be THE best earphone I've ever heard overall. If you need that thumping sub bas it  doesn't deliver. However, that doesn't mean the sub bass is bad. It's high quality, just not reference levels. But everything else... mmmmmmmm. And i've yet to find a single IEM with perfect sub bass that ALSO has perfect everything above 100Hz like the er4s. The closest thing is the LG HBS800, but that's a wireless headset of a different for factor. But it is pretty awesome.

But i'd still sell that before my er4s. And isolation? Nothing comes close. Durability? Say what you will, but overall the er4s is pretty darn durable as many many users can attest to who have had them for 20 years. And let's say your cable breaks after 5 years? What other company would let you basically get a new set at a good discount when it happens?

And what about filters? You still have some adjustment via filters to shape the sound and shift the response towards less treble and more warmth. It's a pretty impressive beast when you think about it.

That's why I always say, add that bit of sub bass somehow and DEEEEEUM BOY! :p

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #5,487 of 19,254
So you guys think the green filters are the best? It's a shame we can't really play with the Knowles because of their metal housings it would be cool to see how they would effect the sound like they so withe the se535. But etymotic says it could make them more prone to cracking also harder to get out so I personally wouldn't risk it but would love to know the differences

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #5,488 of 19,254
So you guys think the green filters are the best? It's a shame we can't really play with the Knowles because of their metal housings it would be cool to see how they would effect the sound like they so withe the se535. But etymotic says it could make them more prone to cracking also harder to get out so I personally wouldn't risk it but would love to know the differences

They are definitely tighter, but some people use them without issue. I just know the orange and yellow take away too much treble, so I only would use red or green, and etymotic sells both of those, so I use the plastic to be safe.

I think they both sounds excellent. Green is superb, with or without eq, but especially with a bit of eq to bring down the 2k bump. The red is superb with no eq at all.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,489 of 19,254

They are definitely tighter, but some people use them without issue. I just know the orange and yellow take away too much treble, so I only would use red or green, and etymotic sells both of those, so I use the plastic to be safe.

I think they both sounds excellent. Green is superb, with or without eq, but especially with a bit of eq to bring down the 2k bump. The red is superb with no eq at all.

i agree, the green filters have a finesse about them that seem to not need any kind of messing with they just seem perfect imo, vs some of the others imo

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,490 of 19,254
I haven't head these things out of my ears since I got them back. I've been eager to put them in anytime I'm away. Stock green filters and frosted tips right now. The frosted aren't as comfortable, but they allow me to get a deep and good fit quickly, which I'm digging right now. If I push them in just right the back of the flange is sharp against my ear canal and it really hurts, but they go in deeply pretty easily because they aren't large.

Anyway, I keep listening to Diana Krall's new album Wallflower. It is so awesome in the ER4S. Really awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back