If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #5,462 of 19,246
Finally, I decided to go with Er4s. Currently, I am listening them through my Ipad - LOD - Fiio E11k and not impressed by their detail at all. I used to have Grado Sr225, PFE112 and Superlux 681b.

I also get some troubles with fit. When using small tripble flange, the sound is mixed, muddy. With the big triple flange, much better but I am still not impressed by their details. I insert them pretty deep, actually I can push them deeper but it is very hurtful...

Can anyone share some of your experience with me? 

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #5,463 of 19,246
Thats the reason why I got Custom tips for my ER-4S the default tips all are not suitable for my ear canals.

But I compared already the ER-4S to my Sennheiser HD800, Grado RS2i and other good cans, and the detail is pretty impressive for a single BA driver, that's the reason why the ER-4S is my "lightweight HD800" as IEM.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,464 of 19,246
JDS Labs C421 cheap on the boards for anyone Interested. (he actually has two if you check his listings)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755083/jdslabs-c421-opa2227-opamp

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #5,466 of 19,246
  Thats the reason why I got Custom tips for my ER-4S the default tips all are not suitable for my ear canals.

But I compared already the ER-4S to my Sennheiser HD800, Grado RS2i and other good cans, and the detail is pretty impressive for a single BA driver, that's the reason why the ER-4S is my "lightweight HD800" as IEM.

Yes, sure but I got bad experience for Custom tips so maybe they are not for me.

my experience with Ety is almost reversed to everyone opinion. I find their treble is very smooth, not that spiky like Grado or PFE and extends very well but still a little bit lack in quantity (maybe I am a treble head?). Maybe I find them lacks in details because their treble is too mooth?

When I push them to my ears, at first, the sound volume is big, then they becoming small, then big again. I stop pushing them at there, very impressive isolation. If I keep pushing them, they might become too dull, lifeless and hurtful for my ears.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #5,467 of 19,246
  It's mostly breaking at the same spot. It breaks on the joint of the left earphone. I wear these over the ears on my bed. I lay on my right side so it's not even the left side that's being pressed down. The 90 degree one seems like it'd work well for wearing over the ears, especially when laying down since there's less protruding out.

have you tried to use the clip higher up on your shirt? would seem to give less resistance off the joint i would say. imo thats how i wear mine anyway

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5,468 of 19,246

Yes, sure but I got bad experience for Custom tips so maybe they are not for me.

my experience with Ety is almost reversed to everyone opinion. I find their treble is very smooth, not that spiky like Grado or PFE and extends very well but still a little bit lack in quantity (maybe I am a treble head?). Maybe I find them lacks in details because their treble is too mooth?

When I push them to my ears, at first, the sound volume is big, then they becoming small, then big again. I stop pushing them at there, very impressive isolation. If I keep pushing them, they might become too dull, lifeless and hurtful for my ears.

I actually have to agree with the first sentence. Good treble extension and detail, but it's very smooth indeed. 

I'd like to use this diagram to assist on your explanation though. The 3rd largest flange for me will have an indent where the little divet is. However if I insert it likewise; I'd have the "flattest" and smoothest response.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #5,469 of 19,246

The treble is also affected by the foam, but not as much. Depending on your preferences you may actually like it. If I found stock tri flange tips comfortable with ER4S, I wouldn't look any further, though.

I think so. Anyway, you know what they say, curiosity killed the cat :) But I think it will not end until I try this. Thanks for answers.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5,470 of 19,246
  Than I must be wrong. I thought having seen Etys go as low as $200 in some places a few years back.

ER4P + S adapter was $185 at the Ety booth for MacWorld 2004. EDIT: might have been 2005.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #5,472 of 19,246
okay. I am back and discovered one stuff.

After washing my face in the morninng, I put my Ety on before riding my bike to work. I realized their details increased significantly when my ear was a little bit wet. Actually, my PFE, Grado and Superlux was no match to them at that time.

Can anyone provide me explanation, really want to know.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #5,473 of 19,246

After washing my face in the morninng, I put my Ety on before riding my bike to work. I realized their details increased significantly when my ear was a little bit wet. Actually, my PFE, Grado and Superlux was no match to them at that time.

It seems your ears burned-in in 24 hours :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #5,474 of 19,246

let the iem's burn in longer are they new

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #5,475 of 19,246

They need a bit of lubrication to get a proper seal. I use olive oil, which also helps with ear wax, but water will do fine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back