If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #5,401 of 19,246
So I got my er4s back from repair. Looks like they just replaced everything. Not with the newer braided cable, but with a somewhat different straight cable with red and blue earpieces. The cable and design appear to be almost identical, but the wires themselves don't feel as rugged. They feel thinner and more flexible, but not as hefty. Not sure what that means for durability or other things. Time will tell I suppose.

I will say this though. I've been using a few different earphones, primarily the kc06, which tones out almost perfectly flat for my ears. When I put  the er4s in my ears, with the stock green filters they sent back.... OMG. The er4s is absolutely the best earphone I've ever heard. :p

Even though no earphone is perfect, and the er4s lacks some sub bass, they are by far the clearest, most transparent sound from an earphone. This became so much more apparent after not having them to use for a few weeks and then putting them back in my ears. I mean, wow.

The bass is even better than I remember it. I'm starting to wonder if my filters were getting old and needed replacing anyway? Who knows. Maybe it was just familiarity and then losing them and then getting them back. I'm a happy man in terms of sound though. Wow.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #5,403 of 19,246
Here is a new blogspot for iem measurements that has recently measured the ER-4S: http://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2014/12/etymotic-research-er-4s-measurement.html?m=1

Like Rin he is showing both Diffuse Field compensation and Olive-Welti compensation. Seeing those compensations side by side for the ER-4S, I can't help but feel I relate more to the Diffuse Field compensation for 5k and higher and Olive-Welti for everything below 5k.

Here are the graphs shown in the link:

Raw

Diffuse Field Compensation

Olive-Welti Compensation

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5,404 of 19,246
Unfortunate this had to be my first post here, I love these IEM's sound, but...the stock cable on these is utter garbage, it didn't even last a single winter before shorting right below both earpiece's plugs, so now I need a new one.  Does anyone have experience with Vesper Audio's cables?  How much am I looking at for a Meta Arg?  Is there any company that makes Ety terminated cables that aren't insanely expensive like the APureSound ones, don't get stiff in the cold, and have no triboelectric issues without wearing them over-the-ear?  (the Etys sound different if you flip them upside down, and I've always found over-the-ear to be uncomfortable)

Etymotic really needs to fix their **** here.  Unless you never take the ER-4 outside, and always keep your living quarters warm, the cable becomes a time bomb.  Even during fall, the cable was getting stiff outside.  And, if you don't know me, I baby everything I own; the cable was never pulled or mistreated in any way, this was a natural result of being used.  The heavy triboelectric noise was getting on my nerves anyway, so whatever, I guess I would have gotten a 3rd party replacement cable sooner or later.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #5,406 of 19,246
picture of the cable? im interested in seeing

if you look at my older photos in the thread you can see it looks the same. but it's definitely softer. maybe my old one was just stiffer in general, but i swear the wires were a bit thicker or tougher. who knows.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #5,407 of 19,246
Here is a new blogspot for iem measurements that has recently measured the ER-4S: http://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2014/12/etymotic-research-er-4s-measurement.html?m=1

Like Rin he is showing both Diffuse Field compensation and Olive-Welti compensation. Seeing those compensations side by side for the ER-4S, I can't help but feel I relate more to the Diffuse Field compensation for 5k and higher and Olive-Welti for everything below 5k.

Here are the graphs shown in the link:

Raw

Diffuse Field Compensation

Olive-Welti Compensation

I pretty much agree there.

Using tones, my er4s sounds flattest with the bass lifted in a very similar compensation to the OW target. But there's no way the treble is that peaky. In that regard the DF is much better. I don't hear that much emphasis in the 2k region using tones, but sometimes eqing it down does seem to reduce the apparent fatiguing honky-ness that it generates, but this is a bit more apparent when the bass is stock. If I EQ the bass to be more neutral the 2k region doesn't really sound as noticeable. Anyhow, minute details aside, the treble stock is incredibly reference compared to any other earphone I've ever heard. Bringing the sub bass to neutral levels alone would solidify the er4s as the king of all IEMs in my mind.

The treble could be perfected, but if the er4s treble is 95% accurate, everything else i've heard is 90% or less. So that is pretty good as it is.

Come on etymotic!!!!! :)

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #5,408 of 19,246
  Unfortunate this had to be my first post here, I love these IEM's sound, but...the stock cable on these is utter garbage, it didn't even last a single winter before shorting right below both earpiece's plugs, so now I need a new one.  Does anyone have experience with Vesper Audio's cables?  How much am I looking at for a Meta Arg?  Is there any company that makes Ety terminated cables that aren't insanely expensive like the APureSound ones, don't get stiff in the cold, and have no triboelectric issues without wearing them over-the-ear?  (the Etys sound different if you flip them upside down, and I've always found over-the-ear to be uncomfortable)

Those Vesper cables appear to be using the same kludgy adapters that everyone complains of in aftermarket cables. I'm guessing your Etys are still in warranty, so they will fix them for free. Postage may be a problem if you are not in the US, though.
For details of how to wear them with comfort over the ear and eliminate microphonics - search this thread...even going back a few pages should find what you're looking for.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #5,410 of 19,246

if you look at my older photos in the thread you can see it looks the same. but it's definitely softer. maybe my old one was just stiffer in general, but i swear the wires were a bit thicker or tougher. who knows.

What filters were you using prior to having the cable replaced?

red and green. i was previously on red most recently.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #5,411 of 19,246

Those Vesper cables appear to be using the same kludgy adapters that everyone complains of in aftermarket cables. I'm guessing your Etys are still in warranty, so they will fix them for free. Postage may be a problem if you are not in the US, though.
For details of how to wear them with comfort over the ear and eliminate microphonics - search this thread...even going back a few pages should find what you're looking for.

That sucks, I assume you're talking about the Westone adapter that's too loose?  I guess I'll have to send the original cable to a cable maker and have them scrap it for the plugs.

They are in warranty, I am in the US, and there's no way I'm replacing it with another stock cable.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #5,412 of 19,246
red and green. i was previously on red most recently.

its odd they would replace your cable with that one i have that same cable but mine is from some  time ago, supple still but still from the same time ago, i wonder why they decided to go that route. i personally i like that cable, well i am split between the straight cable and the twisted cable they both have different properties i like about them. its just kinda of weird they would go with a older style cable than that of what they are currently producing? oh well who knows what they were thinking.

i too am using i havent tried the reds yet i did in the past but i dont remember how they sounded with the er4's. i might have to give them a go.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5,413 of 19,246
has anyone tried the ER38-14A  tips? they are labeled as kids however they are not that small in reality just wondered if anyone has tried any of etymotics foam tips and compared and contrasted vs the comply.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #5,414 of 19,246
Are the cables user replaceable? Just curious.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5,415 of 19,246
  Are the cables user replaceable? Just curious.

yes and no. if you are trying to get one from etymotic they wont send one to you.they will only do the replacing themselves. which requires you to send in your iem's

you can remove the cable yourself if you wish to, you have to do it with finesse, and i dont recommend you do it multiple times.

and to be honest, i dont recommend doing it at all imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back