If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 17, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #5,176 of 19,251
Jan 17, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #5,177 of 19,251
Jan 17, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,180 of 19,251
Hello friends.

I also still like my ER4s and they are an important set in my arsenal. It is amazing that no one has beat them yet. Maybe they have but I am not going to burn more money on custom IEMs until I found the magic set ...honorable mention, Sennheiser IE-800.

I have not posted much on Head Fi  but quit posting when the old site went off the air, I think it was called HeadWize (?). I have not posted anywhere much in this community but was quite active in the previous community.  Much of that was about Stax headphones and binaural recording. Anyone remember? Boy, a lot has happened in the headphone/IEM world in the last several years!

I have had the ER4S (and later also P)  for close to 20 years, went through several sets and 4 custom molds as my ears just don't work with the tips. My ERs visited the factory for delicate problems several times over the years but later I would just buy new ones. I have used them professionally for mic placements and got to compare them to overpriced custom IEMs. The last ER4 molds BTW where excellent and obviously made by an experienced shop and stay with me to this day in all their purple glory.

When years ago I ordered a set of Ultimate Ears UE-10s based on good reviews I was so utterly disappointed. So much so that i believed something was wrong with them, that after decades of listening to top quality stuff and professional sound work. I am also a classical musician and have a good quality "hi fi stereo" system ( age shows here :wink:)  and a collector of Headphones including must of what Stax has produced over many years.  The UE-10s had a muddy bass and it was different between the drivers both across the range and between them. Poor "soundstage", poor resolution. Center focus and phase acuity compared to the ER4s was poor (!!). These became $1500 earplugs for airplane flights but regularly I would plug them in to see if my ears were wrong after all, but no ....

I had a discussion with the UE folks and send them back. They did nothing other then print a new test graph and send them back to me, telling me they were perfect and  it was my ears. It wasn't.  Recently my Sennheiser IE 800 broke (again, excellent  customer service over so many years) and and why on earth Sennheiser does not offer a custom mold!!!!  And now I found this forum again and thinking it was time to share some exerience were I saw mentioned the EJ-16 and something called "Roxanne"(  believe). A quick glance at the manufacturers page shows some discussion from the maker about better phase coherency, a patented technique and utterance about phase improvements to their previous products, including the one I have and it was labelled perfect, my ears were labeled and wrong and UE-10 much better then my little cheap ER4S (no!).  So, no way will take any gamble on blowing more dough these multi driver designs with very limited true engineering behind them esecially where it matters, UNLESS, a good set of ear and clearly quanity if any of them can beat a classic driver like ER4. Which would be needed in the professional situations that these custom IEMs are aimed at.

Yes, ER4 cables are stiff and noisy but the sound is of very high quality and the phase coherency is near perfect between the drivers and across the frequency range. The resolution is not tops but everything else is. Custom molds are a no brainer for good bass  In fact these replaced my Stax Omega 2 for me in many important ways other then delicate classical music and I have considered offering that for sale.

They still make the ER4, wow!

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #5,184 of 19,251
Found my old, first pair of ER4P's.  The transducer housing on one ear is broken ($90), and the cable could use replacing ($50).  For $140, I'm thinking I should use their out of warranty replacement plan to just send them in and buy a new pair of ER4P/T's for $179.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #5,185 of 19,251
  if you dont mind i ask what makes them better than the triple flange? any improvments in sound signature

Based on my experience, they Shure ovals let you do a bit deeper insertion. The tips have a different feel/texture (both physically and sonically) than the Ety frosts. I feel the ovals are bit more resolving, less congested sounding. But at the expense of some bass thickness (god knows the ER4 can already be thin sounding)

Anyway, I figured I'd try cutting of the tip of a tri flange but the end of the nozzle was almost protruding out the end. I had to take a bit of extra rubber from a previously cut tip and put it around the base so that it wouldn't protrude

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #5,186 of 19,251
Based on my experience, they Shure ovals let you do a bit deeper insertion. The tips have a different feel/texture (both physically and sonically) than the Ety frosts. I feel the ovals are bit more resolving, less congested sounding. But at the expense of some bass thickness (god knows the ER4 can already be thin sounding)

Anyway, I figured I'd try cutting of the tip of a tri flange but the end of the nozzle was almost protruding out the end. I had to take a bit of extra rubber from a previously cut tip and put it around the base so that it wouldn't protrude

Interesting i woah i had some on hand to try them out. Sucks about the bass though. But if it makes everything else better i guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #5,187 of 19,251
Found my old, first pair of ER4P's.  The transducer housing on one ear is broken ($90), and the cable could use replacing ($50).  For $140, I'm thinking I should use their out of warranty replacement plan to just send them in and buy a new pair of ER4P/T's for $179.

You can do that if you desire a "new" set, but their pricing on an "all in repair" is $130 plus shipping. But I guess you already knew that, new tips and new cable is essentially "new" to me. I've warrantied an Hf3 with them before and was just sent the headset, no accessories, so if you were thinking you'd get a whole new set....

**** eh, my apologies. I re-read the site, it looks like they send you a code for a 40% discount after submitting yours for what would be a complete, new set. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,188 of 19,251

You can do that if you desire a "new" set, but their pricing on an "all in repair" is $130 plus shipping. But I guess you already knew that, new tips and new cable is essentially "new" to me. I've warrantied an Hf3 with them before and was just sent the headset, no accessories, so if you were thinking you'd get a whole new set....

**** eh, my apologies. I re-read the site, it looks like they send you a code for a 40% discount after submitting yours for what would be a complete, new set. 

Would also be changing from ER4Ps (the old ones with the red and blue tips) to the newer ER4PTs (or S, since I already have a set of PT).  Probably worth the slight cost increase.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #5,190 of 19,251
If anyone wants to know how painful these are to wear. Imagine a gorilla licking a piece of rubber and reaching over his head to pull his ear. All the while sticking a licked rubber into his ear with his mouth open and tearing up, eyes red as he sticks a wet piece of rubber into his ear ferociously.

It was dark outside and I didn't know there was an old lady a foot away from behind a glass window I was standing in front of. Staring at me insert the er4s into my ear. I smiled at her with red eyes and walked the opposite direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back