If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #3,556 of 19,256
Comply's take a lot of the pain out of the equation.

What would I complain about then?

A slightly over elevated lower treble? Psh, that's debatable. I need solid stuff here that'll hold water.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #3,557 of 19,256

A slightly over elevated lower treble? Psh, that's debatable. I need solid stuff here that'll hold water.

Complain about the fact that inserting them to proper depth impinges on the brains ability to perceive the colour ochre on one side and decreases one's ability to throw darts accurately on the other
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3,558 of 19,256

Where are you getting the pain from with the iems? is this using the triple flange or other silicone?

i absolutely hated triple flange until i tried the er4p, i mean i never rocked the triple flange but something about either the small design with the barrels and how they sit in your ear, thats probably what makes them so comfortable for me at least.

massive noise isolation with the triple flange, i havent yet tried any other tip etymotic says 42db of isolation with the foam, thats insane, thats enough isolation to tolerate a mother,girlfriend or wife. or even turning that girlfriend INTO a Wife with alligations like that etymotic might want to watch that whole turning the girlfriend into a wife thing might be a liability... might go messing up your whole life  LOL

id rather be married to the music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #3,559 of 19,256
Complain about the fact that inserting them to proper depth impinges on the brains ability to perceive the colour ochre on one side and decreases one's ability to throw darts accurately on the other:wink_face:

Haha... Or more accurately :blink:

To be honest besides fit, my only issue with the sound is only related to the peak in a roundabout way. I'm still trying to get my head around it. I think what might be happening is that the peak which I don't mind, might be causing the lower mids to sound relatively a bit dull, which I do mind. But it's not really at deal breaker level.

And I reaaaaally do like them. I feel like I understand you guys better now. :smile:

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3,560 of 19,256
Hi -

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post on but does anyone else use er-4p's with an iphone 5s? I'm struggling with a thinner sound compared to my iPhone 4S.

Does anyone out there have any tips for a headphone amp that would solve this?

Thanks!

What about EQ to make up the difference?  What about changing to another IEM?  Relative to other IEM's, ER4 is among the thinnest sounding out there.

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #3,561 of 19,256
Thanks Spyro - I tried using the ios inbuilt equaliser, would you recommend any separate apps?
No LoD for the iphone 5s, so amps no good, any dac/amps good for iem's? Read about the sony pha, but apparently not best with iem's, and the ak10, which gets pretty average reviews here.

Just bought the cordas iem from someone here - will try those, but remain attached to the er-4!

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,562 of 19,256
What about EQ to make up the difference?  What about changing to another IEM?  Relative to other IEM's, ER4 is among the thinnest sounding out there.

I have both the iPhone 4S and the 5S, and the ER-4S on loan. And I know exactly what he's talking about. This is not an EQ-able thing.

The 5S has smaller images, better definition, and more black space around images as a result. This would make it sound thinner vs the 4S which sounds like it has more space filled in and as a result more body.

I suspect different IEM will probably be the result if it's not to his liking.

And I thoroughly disagree with them being incredibly thin, for the record.

Thanks Spyro - I tried using the ios inbuilt equaliser, would you recommend any separate apps?
No LoD for the iphone 5s, so amps no good, any dac/amps good for iem's? Read about the sony pha, but apparently not best with iem's, and the ak10, which gets pretty average reviews here.

Just bought the cordas iem from someone here - will try those, but remain attached to the er-4!

You can try a DAC/Amp that's compatible with the iPad CCK like the Leckerton 760. There's a whole thread on compatible stuff. You'd be bypassing the DAC and Amp in the 5S though.

The Cardas? Oh wow are you in for an experience. I'm talking the literal definition of Polar Opposites.

You might just need to go to different IEMs than the ER-4...

It's not the IEMs, the sound of the 5S is just very different in character to the iPhone 4S.

It is damn annoying talking about the iPhone 4S in this thread.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,563 of 19,256
I truly believe if someone finds the er4s incredibly thin that they either don't have a proper, deep, well sealed fit, or they are not used to something close to reference studio sound. Yes, they don't have 100% bass accuracy levels. But i only eq the bass up by 5-7db all at or below roughly 50hz. That's awesome. I eq some other areas a decibel or two. But if i couldn't, i'd still be happy. The bass eq makes them sound much fuller and flat. But they are less thin than most iems are too bassy...

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3,565 of 19,256

i Actually find the er4p quite pleasing  Of course i am keen on analytical sounding IEM's....i dont know if its from the Low Pass Filter opamp upgrade in the Db2 boomslang or what But i actually find the bass quite pleasing. 

its kind of a odd little iem, becuase its almost completely accurate, then at times im suprised at how low the bass presentation can get, it obviously isnt bass heavy. but if you want to critically listen to music and hear every little thing the er4 is by definition in my opinion perfect,

i did alot of reading on the er4 and they surpassed what i thought i would think of them.

i mean in comparison to the w4r and the se535 i have to get cables to get those iem's to present the kinda clarity and the kind of transparency that the er4p do effortlessly without any ''extras''
I truly believe if someone finds the er4s incredibly thin that they either don't have a proper, deep, well sealed fit, or they are not used to something close to reference studio sound. Yes, they don't have 100% bass accuracy levels. But i only eq the bass up by 5-7db all at or below roughly 50hz. That's awesome. I eq some other areas a decibel or two. But if i couldn't, i'd still be happy. The bass eq makes them sound much fuller and flat. But they are less thin than most iems are too bassy...

i agree. i think the thing about the er4p/s is that its not quantity or quality but accuracy of the bass response. i use only lossless files, and they are VERY true to form, if the bass is in the track you hear it. on some tracks im like its not bassy, on other tracks where the bass is prodominate you hear it. i think the thing people might take away from the etymotic's is they arent synthetic sounding they are flat and accurate they are implimenting any frequency responses or peaks that arent supposed to be there..like adding color to the sound. true to form these are.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #3,566 of 19,256

I have to disagree with this. ER4S is a touch bright, analytical, cool in tonality but something it does overly well is hold weight in the mid range while displaying those characteristics. IEM that leans on the thin side to me would be R-50, DBA-02, or even my Rhapsodio hybrid which is terribly rich / lean sounding IEM.

Someone mentioned a slight absence with ER4S in lower mid range, I can agree with that, or more so the upper mid range is a touch emphasised in comparison. That's why my Xuelin IHIFI 760 is a good match, it tends to have an emphasis in the lower mid range, gives good heft and posture to female vocals filingl in that slight gap otherwise present with my Studio V units.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #3,567 of 19,256
I have to disagree with this. ER4S is a touch bright, analytical, cool in tonality but something it does overly well is hold weight in the mid range while displaying those characteristics. IEM that leans on the thin side to me would be R-50, DBA-02, or even my Rhapsodio hybrid which is terribly rich / lean sounding IEM.

Someone mentioned a slight absence with ER4S in lower mid range, I can agree with that, or more so the upper mid range is a touch emphasised in comparison. That's why my Xuelin IHIFI 760 is a good match, it tends to have an emphasis in the lower mid range, gives good heft and posture to female vocals filingl in that slight gap otherwise present with my Studio V units.

Dun Dun Duunnn.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,568 of 19,256
Dun Dun Duunnn.

Vwinter mentioned. 
wink.gif

I'll be trying my ER4S with JDS C421 (OPA2227) this afternoon. Leckerton UHA760 didn't win any prizes to my ears.

JDS C5 was decent, however I feel the Studio and 760 units do a better job personally. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3,569 of 19,256
So, I have ordered S earpiece adapters from Awwan, a replacement Westone cable, and a TRRS plug. I'll cut off the TRS plug and solder the TRRS in place of it. Total spent was approx. $60. Hopefully it turns out to be a nice upgrade with the HM-901 and Bal card :) Worst case scenario is that I'm sure someone would love to get some of these adapters 2nd hand, and a Westone user would appreciate a TRRS cable.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #3,570 of 19,256
So, I have ordered S earpiece adapters from Awwan, a replacement Westone cable, and a TRRS plug. I'll cut off the TRS plug and solder the TRRS in place of it. Total spent was approx. $60. Hopefully it turns out to be a nice upgrade with the HM-901 and Bal card :) Worst case scenario is that I'm sure someone would love to get some of these adapters 2nd hand, and a Westone user would appreciate a TRRS cable.

I was able to sell my adapters and UE cable very quickly after I decided they weren't for me. Looking forward to seeing your finished cable. I'm always on the lookout for ER4 mods.

Vwinter you're using red filters yes? I get a dip around 7k in comparison to 1k, but no dips below 1k until bass starts decreasing at 50Hz. Was doing the MH1 for a while, but I'm back on the ER4S now. This kind of clarity is so rare imo. Been lovin me some Dream Theater.

Also H20, I'm finding the UHA760 to sound wonderfully flat with the ER4S. It does seem to put out less power than the UHA-6S.mkII. I sometimes go up to 50% volume on the highest gain with some quieter songs. I do listen a bit loud at the gym though. But really I find it quite transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back