If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 13, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3,571 of 19,272
  So, I have ordered S earpiece adapters from Awwan, a replacement Westone cable, and a TRRS plug. I'll cut off the TRS plug and solder the TRRS in place of it. Total spent was approx. $60. Hopefully it turns out to be a nice upgrade with the HM-901 and Bal card :) Worst case scenario is that I'm sure someone would love to get some of these adapters 2nd hand, and a Westone user would appreciate a TRRS cable.

LOL funny, i bought the S adapters too, and they were what $33.00 i opted for  speed post $23.00 so a total of $56.00

then tonight i bought a pair of ER4S's lol 

so now i have ER4P & ER4S + The adapters.

i know i could have just gotten a 75ohm 3.5mm adapter but i didnt want the bulk... and why not have both LOL

Havent Decided yet but i probably will end up putting the adapters up OR keeping them.

i also got the HF5 needed to try those too.

i need a tranqualizer to stop me from buying

....but you know whats weird is the ER4S seems really dominate when it comes to the er4 series. but the er4p has more bottom end..i would say these are some hard iems to drive. before i sent P's off to ted to get reterminated with a Viablue connector. i was using the pb2 pelican and db2 boomslang and on the pb2 amp i put gain on +10 and even with that i was getting like 10 o clock moderate to medium loud and 12 o clock loud.......when i had it on +6 gain i was getting like 12 o clock medium to moderate and 3 o clock loud.....and for anyone getting confused, 6 o clock would be completely turned down and the volumes would be going in clockwise.

using the sr-71b on high was very touchy lol, +21 is alot and the volume pot was small each small small turn of the knob gained alot....i like the amp gains on high, i just prefer that kinda volume pot vs on low im weird i know

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3,572 of 19,272
Also H20, I'm finding the UHA760 to sound wonderfully flat with the ER4S. It does seem to put out less power than the UHA-6S.mkII. I sometimes go up to 50% volume on the highest gain with some quieter songs. I do listen a bit loud at the gym though. But really I find it quite transparent.

Yeah you're right mate, UHA760 does lack some power, I was rather surprised when I first moved the volume pot a few days ago.

I think all three are great amps with C5 and UHA760 having better control and refinement and to my ears UHA760 has the widest staging left/right, also exhibits quite a professional sound signature. I'm pretty much sold though on  C421 (OPA2227). While it doesn't have the same refinement it gives an extra inch in detail I'm finding, it sounds a touch brighter than the other two, I think some may find it shouty, however when I love vocal extension it pretty much suits me over the others. 

I've been listening to all three this afternoon straight from ER4S and IHIFI 760 line out. I must rest my ears. It was a fairly decent amount of detail I have absorbed from all three amps. Good listening tool for testing equipment/gear ER4S.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #3,573 of 19,272

Also H20, I'm finding the UHA760 to sound wonderfully flat with the ER4S. It does seem to put out less power than the UHA-6S.mkII. I sometimes go up to 50% volume on the highest gain with some quieter songs. I do listen a bit loud at the gym though. But really I find it quite transparent.

Yeah you're right mate, UHA760 does lack some power, I was rather surprised when I first moved the volume pot a few days ago.

I'm a little surprised here, I didn't took the leckerton for a powerhouse, more like an IEM and sensitive portable headphone amp (something like a pico slim I guess ). but still even with the er4s it should be able to deliver a little more than 120db max (based on values and calculations from a guy who didn't sleep in the last 30hours, so don't take this result for granted plz).
I'll have to remember and try less sensitive stuff when I get it, I'm so focused on low volume and hiss, I tend to forget that some people actually listen to music ^_^.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #3,574 of 19,272
  I'm a little surprised here, I didn't took the leckerton for a powerhouse, more like an IEM and sensitive portable headphone amp (something like a pico slim I guess ). but still even with the er4s it should be able to deliver a little more than 120db max (based on values and calculations from a guy who didn't sleep in the last 30hours, so don't take this result for granted plz).
I'll have to remember and try less sensitive stuff when I get it, I'm so focused on low volume and hiss, I tend to forget that some people actually listen to music ^_^.

It has enough power, so don't worry to much. I find myself using med to high gain though even with 32ohm IEM. What I find is I need to have the volume pot at about 75% percent for normal listening volumes (using medium gain). it's almost like the first 50% of the volume pot hardly does anything which was a shock on open box. Something like C5 or C421 has an obvious amount of power on tap.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,576 of 19,272
I've been on this site for maybe s year give or take. Im reading some posts and I see beside peoples name ..banned! How does that happen..do these people swear on here or something like that ? Just really curious about that ..I was reading a review by a guy named .fanboy..and his review was really good ..he was very entertaining and was a really good writer..then I noticed that he was banned ! Just curious how that happens ..thanks for your reply in advance..if you want to send me a pm feel free instead of on this forum..thank you :)

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #3,577 of 19,272
If you new ER4 owners out there haven't tried the Red filters on the S model, I highly recommend you give it a try. It gives me a similar warmth to the P, but still retains the clarity of the S model. You could even try orange, which I still have, but haven't tried yet lol. The orange attenuates even more top end.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3,578 of 19,272
Long story short- Owned my 4PT's for about 14 months. It took awhile but I broke them in and I loveD them.  One of the best purchases I've ever made - and I bought them on the advice of this site, so to speak.  This thread, even.  I wanted a beautiful, flat tone that wasn't going to destroy my wallet but would provide me with a nice, accurate reproduction.  One of my other new purchases last year was a puppy.  She jumped on my coffee table and destroyed my baby literally in under 10 seconds.

I ended up buying the Bose noise canceling IEM's since I fly every week.  For the noise canceling aspect, they're unbeatable  Very happy on flight and in busy airports.  Other than that, they're just "ok".  From what I can tell, the ER-4P is exactly the same as the 4PT.  Is this correct?

I'm kind of on the fence about getting these phones again.  I loved them.  LOVED. But they took a long time to get right and the cones, while sounding better than the foam tips, hurt my ears.  Both sizes.  I'm not a big enough audiophile to get them customed.  I also found the way they stuck out of my ear to be awkward and kind of a pain in the butt to wrap around my ear to reduce the cable noise.

I've been eying the Westone 4's and UE Triples.  I've heard really bad things about Shure's durability.  I know I'm coming to this thread to ask about alternatives, but this is also the thread that brought me the best audio experience of my life.  I also hear good things about the B&W cans but I'm not sure if that's just Apple fanboy propaganda.

So, go with the 4P's and do the work to get them back to level?  I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for a more comfortable fit out of the box, btw.  Thanks, all!

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,579 of 19,272
I Got my S Adapters in today and i decided to just sell them if anyone is interested im asking 50.00 paypal gifted or 3% I Know its a little more but these are with me in the US so it will save you 3-4 week wait. just putting it out there. hit me up on pm

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #3,580 of 19,272
  Long story short- Owned my 4PT's for about 14 months. It took awhile but I broke them in and I loveD them.  One of the best purchases I've ever made - and I bought them on the advice of this site, so to speak.  This thread, even.  I wanted a beautiful, flat tone that wasn't going to destroy my wallet but would provide me with a nice, accurate reproduction.  One of my other new purchases last year was a puppy.  She jumped on my coffee table and destroyed my baby literally in under 10 seconds.

I ended up buying the Bose noise canceling IEM's since I fly every week.  For the noise canceling aspect, they're unbeatable  Very happy on flight and in busy airports.  Other than that, they're just "ok".  From what I can tell, the ER-4P is exactly the same as the 4PT.  Is this correct?

I'm kind of on the fence about getting these phones again.  I loved them.  LOVED. But they took a long time to get right and the cones, while sounding better than the foam tips, hurt my ears.  Both sizes.  I'm not a big enough audiophile to get them customed.  I also found the way they stuck out of my ear to be awkward and kind of a pain in the butt to wrap around my ear to reduce the cable noise.

I've been eying the Westone 4's and UE Triples.  I've heard really bad things about Shure's durability.  I know I'm coming to this thread to ask about alternatives, but this is also the thread that brought me the best audio experience of my life.  I also hear good things about the B&W cans but I'm not sure if that's just Apple fanboy propaganda.

So, go with the 4P's and do the work to get them back to level?  I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for a more comfortable fit out of the box, btw.  Thanks, all!

Hi nooaah,

If you liked the sound of ER4 and want a little more comfort, I recommend you do some reading on Dunu's highly capable DN-1000 hybrid for $200.
The main resemblance it has with ER4 is really only the tonality and how clear it sounds, the signatures are different.

I suggest you start here and have a read. One of my best purchases in 2013.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695577/review-dunu-dn1000-immensely-capable-hybrid-iem

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,581 of 19,272
for isolation there really is nothing that can compare to etymotic. other IEMs are usually a good 10-15DB less performant. 

I find that if active noise cancelling is great for plane reactors, it's very weak against crying babies right behind me and usually against any high pitched bother.

and yes the 4pt is a 4p with a nice FR graph of your personnal IEM. no difference in sound. it just gives you the proof that etymotic driver matching is no joke, but they do the matching anyway.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #3,583 of 19,272
  for isolation there really is nothing that can compare to etymotic. other IEMs are usually a good 10-15DB less performant. 

I find that if active noise cancelling is great for plane reactors, it's very weak against crying babies right behind me and usually against any high pitched bother.

and yes the 4pt is a 4p with a nice FR graph of your personnal IEM. no difference in sound. it just gives you the proof that etymotic driver matching is no joke, but they do the matching anyway.

Definitly Agree. and i think it shows in the sound quality that they arent just making a product and throwing it out there.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #3,585 of 19,272
Mooses9, I'm curious. Why are you selling your ER4S adapters? Didn't like the way they fit, or didn't like the sound, or something else?

HAHA well i had sent out my er4p's to ted to reterminate them with a New Via blue Connector, and i bought the adapters BEFORE i shipped out the er4p....so i got impatient waiting for my er4p and the adapters to arrive, i went ahead and bough a pair of ER4S LOL... so now i have a pair of er4p and er4s and the adapters.

and ironic how i dont have the er4p,er4s but i do have the adapters LOL.

so no its not any of those reasons i am just impatient and decided i needed a few more iem's 

i also bought a pair of HF2 and HF5's for my beat around iem's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back