If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 17, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #11,867 of 19,249
I do notice that with the triple flanges but not with the complys. Is there any way to improve the seal with the silicone tips or should I just give up?

The cheap solution are either to wet the eartips slightly with water before insertion, or a tiny bit of baby oil on the eartios. The more expensive solution is to get the ear sealant / lubricant for hearing aid. Also, don't forget to try different size of eartips first.

May 20, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #11,868 of 19,249
With the recent Etymotic/Lucid Hearing merger, it looks like the ER4X/SRs might be discontinued or replaced. Has anyone heard anything about this? I just ordered my first pair of ER4XRs and am nervous they might be obsolete already.

May 20, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #11,869 of 19,249
With the recent Etymotic/Lucid Hearing merger, it looks like the ER4X/SRs might be discontinued or replaced. Has anyone heard anything about this? I just ordered my first pair of ER4XRs and am nervous they might be obsolete already.

Now why would the merged entity destroy one of the most successful iem product lines ever? That does not make any commercial sense whatsoever. And obsolete? Look after your etys and they will give years of faithful service. My er4p are 13 years old, and whilst they are now relegated to "emergency" use, they are still very much relevant.

May 20, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #11,870 of 19,249
Now why would the merged entity destroy one of the most successful iem product lines ever? That does not make any commercial sense whatsoever. And obsolete? Look after your etys and they will give years of faithful service. My er4p are 13 years old, and whilst they are now relegated to "emergency" use, they are still very much relevant.

Lucid Hearing has controlling stake now and they may not see the ER4 series fitting into their product goals? The Chinese manufactured ER3 may have a higher profit margin. The ER4S/XRs have been out of stock for some time on the Etymotic site. In talking with a re-seller who is also sold out, their company memo stated that Etymotic discontinued the line last month. That could be completely wrong and hopefully is.

I am excited for my pair, my only regret is not ordering them sooner.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #11,871 of 19,249
Whatever it may be, I am ready.

DSC_0148-922x518.JPG

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #11,872 of 19,249
May 21, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #11,873 of 19,249
So nice.

What silver cables are you using?

Just some cheap silver plated copper cable I picked up from Lunashops. I don't use expensive specialty cable at all.

May 21, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #11,875 of 19,249
I suspect ER4SR + pure silver cable + Chord Mojo and some loseless files would be a great combo.

May 21, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #11,877 of 19,249
Contacted Etymotic and the ER4 line is definitely not discontinued, just out of stock until later this month (hopefully). Now I just need to purchase a decent little amp. . . .

iFi Nano BL is very solid for the price.

May 21, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #11,878 of 19,249
Contacted Etymotic and the ER4 line is definitely not discontinued, just out of stock until later this month (hopefully). Now I just need to purchase a decent little amp. . . .

Just need to get something small yet powerful enough to render the bass and treble correctly. I agree with Colors' recommendation. Its quite the powerful amp/dac for its size.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #11,879 of 19,249
Lucid Hearing has controlling stake now and they may not see the ER4 series fitting into their product goals? The Chinese manufactured ER3 may have a higher profit margin. The ER4S/XRs have been out of stock for some time on the Etymotic site. In talking with a re-seller who is also sold out, their company memo stated that Etymotic discontinued the line last month. That could be completely wrong and hopefully is.

I am excited for my pair, my only regret is not ordering them sooner.

Fourth paragraph down on this article, and quoted source for the article? Etymotic.

May 21, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #11,880 of 19,249
I suggest anyone grab a pair of ER4S/XRs if they’re still interested in it because they’re amazingly built and precise sounding IEMs for $350.

Granted, the ER3s were $150 on Massdrop and I’ve read they almost sound the same but I find my best IEMs are Made in USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back