If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 14, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #11,852 of 19,253
May 14, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #11,853 of 19,253
So, I just got the ER3XR and they sound amazing!! I think I got the seal right (only tried the smaller flanges now)...not exactly comfortable right now, and I have a lot of earwax, but I think I'm getting the expected bass response (not too much, so I'm glad I went for these instead of the SE)/isolation. The detail is fantastic. I can't imagine how the ER4s improve on this. I also like the little pouch they come with :)

Anyway, so I don't have to scroll through almost 800 pages, what's the consensus on remote cables? That's probably the one thing I miss from my previous IEMs...having to take my phone out of my pocket is a real pain.

May 14, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #11,854 of 19,253
So, I just got the ER3XR and they sound amazing!! I think I got the seal right (only tried the smaller flanges now)...not exactly comfortable right now, and I have a lot of earwax, but I think I'm getting the expected bass response (not too much, so I'm glad I went for these instead of the SE)/isolation. The detail is fantastic. I can't imagine how the ER4s improve on this. I also like the little pouch they come with :)

Anyway, so I don't have to scroll through almost 800 pages, what's the consensus on remote cables? That's probably the one thing I miss from my previous IEMs...having to take my phone out of my pocket is a real pain.

No remote makes wearing over the ears easier :)

Glad you like the ER. They're detailed monsters and in class of its own for the price point and can compete with much more expensive IEMs in terms of detail. Got my $599 Empire Ears Bravados and my ER4XR still outclass them in vocals, especially female vocals and trebles.

May 14, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #11,855 of 19,253
No remote makes wearing over the ears easier :)

Glad you like the ER. They're detailed monsters and in class of its own for the price point and can compete with much more expensive IEMs in terms of detail. Got my $599 Empire Ears Bravados and my ER4XR still outclass them in vocals, especially female vocals and trebles.

Hm...I haven't tried over the ears yet. I seem to get a good enough seal the "standard" way. Any other reason I might want to do that?

May 14, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #11,856 of 19,253
Hm...I haven't tried over the ears yet. I seem to get a good enough seal the "standard" way. Any other reason I might want to do that?

wearing over ear reduces microphonics by a whole lot, also to me it reduces the tugging down feeling inside the ear canal because of the dangling cable.

May 15, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #11,857 of 19,253
So...I've been playing around with the tips, and it seems like I get the best seal with the included foam tips, but they don't go in nearly as deep as the other ones. The triple flange ones also kind of hurt putting them in. So, out of curiosity, I just tried the Comply tips I got for my Klipsch X11i, (I got the variety pack for the 100 size), and they work great! I can get them just as deep as I could the triple flanges, and I get (what I think is) a perfect seal. Are there any disadvantages of using these tips instead of the included ones? I see people seem to really praise the triple flanges.

Additionally, what's the difference between the standard Comply size 100 tips (medium) and these ones? Should I pick these up even though the regular size seems fine? https://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just excited :darthsmile:

May 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #11,858 of 19,253
So...I've been playing around with the tips, and it seems like I get the best seal with the included foam tips, but they don't go in nearly as deep as the other ones. The triple flange ones also kind of hurt putting them in. So, out of curiosity, I just tried the Comply tips I got for my Klipsch X11i, (I got the variety pack for the 100 size), and they work great! I can get them just as deep as I could the triple flanges, and I get (what I think is) a perfect seal. Are there any disadvantages of using these tips instead of the included ones? I see people seem to really praise the triple flanges.

Additionally, what's the difference between the standard Comply size 100 tips (medium) and these ones? Should I pick these up even though the regular size seems fine? https://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

I find foam tips have better bass while the trifangles have more treble.

May 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #11,859 of 19,253
I get a little roll off in the low end with the foam tips compared to properly sealed triflanges, so better bass might be arguable.

the P are longer. forget about inserting the IEM really deep with those. which IMO is an issue for Etys as deep insertion is needed to get the expected signature. I use the P series only with IEMs that can't go deep at all. in that case the longer P foam tip can really help provide a good isolation when it's hard to get it with usual tips.

May 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #11,862 of 19,253
Interesting...from the product page it seemed like the P series was specifically made for the deep insertion IEMs...
they're longer...
of course you can look at it from a fixed driver position and say that they will go deeper than say a single flange silicone tip.
now IDK for your ears, but mine let me go past the first bend of the ear canal just fine, then put a solid stop to my insertion of tips around the second bend. the ety+triflange stop at the second bend. the usual comply foam medium also stops when I reach the second bend. and using a longer tip like the P series stops at the same place. except that now because the tip is longer, the driver is further away from my eardrum, which is IMO not good for Etymotic IEMs. that's why I made a clear distinction between using Etymotic, and using IEMs with a shell that doesn't allow deep insertion.
like with Westone or Shure stuff, the insertion is strictly determined by the shell of the IEMs, for those, having a longer foam tip can let you go deeper and get a little better isolation(most likely at the cost of overall comfort).

is it clearer said like that? all this is really just me saying: they're longer foam tips. ^_^

May 16, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #11,863 of 19,253
they're longer...
of course you can look at it from a fixed driver position and say that they will go deeper than say a single flange silicone tip.
now IDK for your ears, but mine let me go past the first bend of the ear canal just fine, then put a solid stop to my insertion of tips around the second bend. the ety+triflange stop at the second bend. the usual comply foam medium also stops when I reach the second bend. and using a longer tip like the P series stops at the same place. except that now because the tip is longer, the driver is further away from my eardrum, which is IMO not good for Etymotic IEMs. that's why I made a clear distinction between using Etymotic, and using IEMs with a shell that doesn't allow deep insertion.
like with Westone or Shure stuff, the insertion is strictly determined by the shell of the IEMs, for those, having a longer foam tip can let you go deeper and get a little better isolation(most likely at the cost of overall comfort).

is it clearer said like that? all this is really just me saying: they're longer foam tips. ^_^
Got it, thanks for the explanation!

Anyway, I'm not sure how to tell if these are sealed properly. With no music playing, I can still hear myself tap on my desk with my fingernail, or snap my fingers about half a foot from my ear (with both the triple flanges and Comply T100). Should I expect to do any better than that?

May 16, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #11,864 of 19,253
rub your fingers next to your ear, if you can notice that, you do not have a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back