If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #11,086 of 19,251
Hope the new ER3 reaches Asia soon enough!
Untitled45-Ti.gif

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #11,087 of 19,251
more like the hf5 signature
1flcm8.jpg

more sensitive than er4 like the hf5.

it's not exaggerated to say that the hf5 is one of my all time favorite IEM without EQ(and the only IEM I have 2 working pairs of), but it's too sensitive for some of my DAPs, resulting in more or less noticeable background hiss. of course if you made IEMs with crap isolation, I would not notice background hiss in the first place. sucks to be you^_^.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #11,088 of 19,251
1flcm8.jpg

it's not exaggerated to say that the hf5 is one of my all time favorite IEM without EQ(and the only IEM I have 2 working pairs of), but it's too sensitive for some of my DAPs, resulting in more or less noticeable background hiss. of course if you made IEMs with crap isolation, I would not notice background hiss in the first place. sucks to be you^_^.

Well, they are a few dB less sensitive than the hf5s, so perhaps they will hiss a little bit less with those DAPs.

Or, we can find a way to make the isolation worse for you. :wink:

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #11,089 of 19,251
Well, they are a few dB less sensitive than the hf5s, so perhaps they will hiss a little bit less with those DAPs.

Speaking of isolation, does anybody make a closed back headphone with isolation that approaches that of the Etymotics? Etymotic claims 35-42dB of attenuation on their website and I believe it.

My Etymotics with the big yellow foam plugs reduce background noise so much, they almost make the subway enjoyable, even on the C train from the 1960s, with its slam/bang noise effects.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #11,090 of 19,251
Speaking of isolation, does anybody make a closed back headphone with isolation that approaches that of the Etymotics? Etymotic claims 35-42dB of attenuation on their website and I believe it.

My Etymotics with the big yellow foam plugs reduce background noise so much, they almost make the subway enjoyable, even on the C train from the 1960s, with its slam/bang noise effects.

It's not trivial to get that much attenuation. We achieve it with a deep seal in the ear canal. It's possible there's something out there that attenuates as much, but I'm not aware of it. Perhaps somebody else can chime in.

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #11,091 of 19,251
my own experience with passive isolation on headphones tell me we don't get anywhere close, and the few stuff that have ok-ish isolation tend to clamp like they're trying to kill you(for logical reasons).
with a mix of passive and active noise cancelling, the effectiveness really depends on the type of frequencies. I find noise cancelling to be amazing for low end sounds, some can make a tank sound like a moped after cancelling so much in the lower range ^_^. but they can also fail pitifully when faced with a crying baby(the second most dangerous weapon known to a man's ear, right after a GF saying "you didn't just say that").

inerfidelity graphs have a little test where the measure is done while using speakers as sound source just to measure the isolation while on the dummy head. it can give false negative as some headphones would do fine on our head but will fail to seal on the plastic ear, but it's still probably the best place to look when it comes to audio gear(as opposed to protection gear).

I knew you could help ^_^. new option, vented Etymotics. no isolation, no noticeable hiss, the low end of a grado! what's not to love about that idea. :sweat_smile:

I just checked the specs, a little less sensitive and little higher impedance, can't tell if that will be enough for someone as grumpy as I am, but they're both moves in the right direction coming from hf5 so I'm going to try because I absolutely do not need a new IEM and I'm silly like that.

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #11,092 of 19,251

It's not trivial to get that much attenuation. We achieve it with a deep seal in the ear canal. It's possible there's something out there that attenuates as much, but I'm not aware of it. Perhaps somebody else can chime in.

Ultrasone Signatrue Studio gets the closest, tight fit, pretty solid pads, closed back design, glass backplates for each cup, and a pretty small cup size. This makes the very isolating. I don't know if it is the same isolation as Ety IEMs, and I doubt it is exactly the same, but it is probably the most isolation I got from a closed back headphone so far.

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #11,093 of 19,251
I just checked the specs, a little less sensitive and little higher impedance, can't tell if that will be enough for someone as grumpy as I am, but they're both moves in the right direction coming from hf5 so I'm going to try because I absolutely do not need a new IEM and I'm silly like that.

Well, I don't really need any new guitars or amps, but that doesn't seem to stop me, either.

I'm totally kidding. Of course I need more guitars and amps.

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #11,094 of 19,251
Ultrasone Signatrue Studio gets the closest, tight fit, pretty solid pads, closed back design, glass backplates for each cup, and a pretty small cup size. This makes the very isolating. I don't know if it is the same isolation as Ety IEMs, and I doubt it is exactly the same, but it is probably the most isolation I got from a closed back headphone so far.

I haven't heard an Ultrasone in a long time. I'll have to see if they have a booth next time Axpona rolls around.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #11,095 of 19,251

MrSpeakers Aeon isolates very well whilst still being comfortable. Although I think they sound awful, they're probably a pretty damn good portable can in terms of passive use. Check the innerfidelity graph here. It's honestly quite impressive. Not as much high frequency isolation as Etys, but that's to be expected.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #11,096 of 19,251
MrSpeakers Aeon isolates very well whilst still being comfortable. Although I think they sound awful, they're probably a pretty damn good portable can in terms of passive use. Check the innerfidelity graph here. It's honestly quite impressive. Not as much high frequency isolation as Etys, but that's to be expected.
I really like the Aeons (both the closed and the new open-back versions). You thought they sounded awful, but you were impressed with their frequency-response graph? Is that right?! If so, maybe you shouldn't be so easily-impressed with that shape of FR in the future? :wink:

Poor Aeons. I honestly didn't think there was that much to dislike about them.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #11,097 of 19,251
I really like the Aeons (both the closed and the new open-back versions). You thought they sounded awful, but you were impressed with their frequency-response graph? Is that right?! If so, maybe you shouldn't be so easily-impressed with that shape of FR in the future? :wink:

Poor Aeons. I honestly didn't think there was that much to dislike about them.
I linked the Innerfidelity graph for isolation, not frequency response. I didn't mention the frequency response at all.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #11,098 of 19,251
I linked the Innerfidelity graph for isolation, not frequency response. I didn't mention the frequency response at all.
Oh, I see. When I click the link, it takes me to the standard pdf page that shows everything. No worries.

BTW, I don't know of anything that isolates like an Ety. No over-ear can I've used has come close - not even the best active noise-cancelling sets (these work ok for low frequencies, but the electronics can't react fast enough to attenuate the highs).

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #11,099 of 19,251
1flcm8.jpg

Not that I needed a new pair of IEMs but I keep hearing nothing but good things about the HF series and planning to pick up the HF3 next week.
I am definitely not a bass head but I hope the bass won’t be too light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back