If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 21, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #9,196 of 19,251
what psycho acoustic impact this has on the soundstage is always difficult to predict. usually more trebles do feel like a more precise soundstage because we locate high frequencies better than low ones.

yes i think the treble is the reason, they sound very spacious, the bass is very flat and extremely fast and clean, and the mids are to die for, forward, powerful female vocals with amazing detail, i am very happy that i tried them with this resistor, i was ready to sell them after i got the ER4, but i changed my mind very quickly

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #9,197 of 19,251
I can say this much... I have had something slightly hit me in the ear with the er4s in them. It hurt a little, although nothing serious or lasting. I find it unlikely that you would puncture your eardrum easily, as the shape of the ear is bent and doesn't easily allow the er4 that deep. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it isn't a straight earphone going into a straight ear canal with no resistance... So while possible, I'd say it's unlikely unless you were really slammed in the ear, at just the right angle, in which any iem would probably do damage.

Disclaimer: i am not a medical doctor. So don't listen to me. :p
I'm with you on one point. Over ear wear. I absolutely love the pfe112. ety could absolutely learn from their design in both housing and fit. It is the most comfortable iem ever in my opinion with the comply tips. And a side note, in the case of the pfe112 the comply tips actually improve the response. Goldenears verifies what i'm hearing in their graphs.

Anyway, if the er4sr housing or cable or both allowed an ergonomic around the ear fit, it would be awesome. Even if it was simply something like the pfe112 ear guides, shaped to work well with the er4, that would be awesome...

I completely agree 100% I have these in my ears about 8 to 10 hours a day for the past three weeks I absolutely love the sound of my SR but the microphonic's suck ass  would love an over the ear design on the cable as well.

Aug 21, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #9,198 of 19,251
  I completely agree 100% I have these in my ears about 8 to 10 hours a day for the past three weeks I absolutely love the sound of my SR but the microphonic's suck ass  would love an over the ear design on the cable as well.

How does the ER4SR compare to the RE400?

Vastly different in price, but just thought I would ask.

How is "The HiFiman Sound" defined??

I've been looking at both of these to pair with my X1.....along with the RE600 Songbird.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #9,199 of 19,251

How does the ER4SR compare to the RE400?

Vastly different in price, but just thought I would ask.

How is "The HiFiman Sound" defined??

I've been looking at both of these to pair with my X1.....along with the RE600 Songbird.

You know I am really not sure how they compare I have not listen to them in so long but they used to be pretty good from what I can remember highly microphonic as well I will have to dig them out and give them a lesson myself I have been listening to the SR so much I have not wanted to take them off but they were marketed as neutral sounding and for the most part I believe they are.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #9,200 of 19,251
  You know I am really not sure how they compare I have not listen to them in so long but they used to be pretty good from what I can remember highly microphonic as well I will have to dig them out and give them a lesson myself I have been listening to the SR so much I have not wanted to take them off but they were marketed as neutral sounding and for the most part I believe they are.

OK - thanks for the feedback.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #9,201 of 19,251

Okay I was curious I dug them out of the case and plugged them in listened to a few parts of a few songs and they are a little tinny sounding and I could not get them deep enoughLike the SR for a better seal what a shock in my opinion they are total crap compared to SR but that's just me.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #9,202 of 19,251
  Okay I was curious I dug them out of the case and plugged them in listened to a few parts of a few songs and they are a little tinny sounding and I could not get them deep enoughLike the SR for a better seal what a shock in my opinion they are total crap compared to SR but that's just me.

Thanks for making the effort 
biggrin.gif

The price for the RE400 is appealing ($59 from Penon)

Getting the Ety SR here to NZ is problematic with customs duties and taxes included.....usually, anything under $400 NZD is fine....anything over and you PAY!!

I'll keep investigating.

The search continues......

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #9,203 of 19,251
  I had a question for current Etymotic owners.  When I look at pictures of people wearing Etymotic IEMs and see how they're essentially long cylinders that stick into the wearer's ears, I often wonder if a person accidentally bumped their heads (and the Etymotics), could the Etymotics be pushed further into their ears and puncture their eardrums.  Is this a realistic concern?

With the design of Shure and some other popular IEMs, the shaft that inserts into a persons ears can only go so far, so this risk doesn't exist, but with the Etymotics, it almost looks as risky as walking around with Q-Tips inserted in your ears.

I'm not an owner but I know the biology of the human ear and can tell you that you have nothing to worry about. Our eardrums are good way away from the canal and it's quite impossible for the Etymotic's to go that far up to make contact with the eardrum.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #9,204 of 19,251
  I'm not an owner but I know the biology of the human ear and can tell you that you have nothing to worry about. Our eardrums are good way away from the canal and it's quite impossible for the Etymotic's to go that far up to make contact with the eardrum.

That's correct.  Plus it has to go around two bends.  If you are wearing deep insertion earphones and somebody hits you on the side of the head, you will likely be annoyed but your eardrum will stay intact.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #9,205 of 19,251

Thanks for making the effort :D

The price for the RE400 is appealing ($59 from Penon)

Getting the Ety SR here to NZ is problematic with customs duties and taxes included.....usually, anything under $400 NZD is fine....anything over and you PAY!!

I'll keep investigating.

The search continues......

I had the re400 a while before the driver died in the left ear. Returned them. Many people have similar issues.

Nonetheless, it had a sort of similar overall neutrality to the er4sr but not as accurate. The sub bass was similar if not slightly less subby. But the mid treble had a big dip. To me this gave a false sense of a big soundstage that was sometimes very pleasing. But other times it gave a sense of a strange dullness or darkness to the sound.

The harmonic distortion was non existent, and i swear i could hear how clean they were sometimes in that regard, but who knows... The fit for me wasn't consistent, which was frustrating. Tried many tips. But the mids and mid bass were excellent but a bit warm at times.

I'd say they were one of the better iems I've heard. But the treble dip was the killer for me... Well the failed driver was the killer. :wink: but sonically the dip was the weak point.

The er4sr resolves every one of those issues...

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #9,206 of 19,251
I had the re400 a while before the driver died in the left ear. Returned them. Many people have similar issues.

Nonetheless, it had a sort of similar overall neutrality to the er4sr but not as accurate. The sub bass was similar if not slightly less subby. But the mid treble had a big dip. To me this gave a false sense of a big soundstage that was sometimes very pleasing. But other times it gave a sense of a strange dullness or darkness to the sound.

The harmonic distortion was non existent, and i swear i could hear how clean they were sometimes in that regard, but who knows... The fit for me wasn't consistent, which was frustrating. Tried many tips. But the mids and mid bass were excellent but a bit warm at times.

I'd say they were one of the better iems I've heard. But the treble dip was the killer for me... Well the failed driver was the killer. :wink: but sonically the dip was the weak point.

Thanks for the reply and the feedback on the RE400

How long have you had the ER4SR??
Did you buy after a demo or bought blind ?
What tips are you currently using with them?

Sorry.....question time :)

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #9,207 of 19,251
 My SR are with a custom balanced 2.5 mm cable now - soviet silver plated copper with 50-60% of silver in it.
wink.gif

Very close to silver sound wise but remains flexible! 

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #9,208 of 19,251

Thanks for the reply and the feedback on the RE400

How long have you had the ER4SR??
Did you buy after a demo or bought blind ?
What tips are you currently using with them?

Sorry.....question time :)

I bought blind, based on gnarlsagan liking it, and i trust his opinion on all things er4. And simply a new er4 was intriguing to me. Any improvement seemed like an incredible feat. So i had to try them. I've had them since they came out. I had to be one of the first people to order them, and they arrived two days or so later.

I currently use the ety grey foam, as i get them very deep and they seal the best. I switch to other tips sometimes and last time i was actually trying comply foam again to see if i could identify and differences again...

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #9,209 of 19,251
I bought blind, based on gnarlsagan liking it, and i trust his opinion on all things er4. And simply a new er4 was intriguing to me. Any improvement seemed like an incredible feat. So i had to try them. I've had them since they came out. I had to be one of the first people to order them, and they arrived two days or so later.

I currently use the ety grey foam, as i get them very deep and they seal the best. I switch to other tips sometimes and last time i was actually trying comply foam again to see if i could identify and differences again...

Thanks again - 
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes, my geographical location means I have to buy almost all of my Audio Equipment blind (or deaf).....I have to read a lot of reviews and ask a lot of questions.....so thanks for that.

Would you use the word "bright" to help describe / define the ER4SR at all??

I know others in the past have used it to describe the Ety sound on the ER4-PT

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #9,210 of 19,251
So I am a bit confused by the Etymotic website. The newest ER4-PT says it comes with the resistor adapter to turn them into 100ohm matching the ER4S. I have an almost 10 year old pair of ER4S and decided to buy a new pair as mine are showing their age. 

My confusion is the Etymotic site says all new ER4PT come with the adapter while the contents listed for their amazon sale of the ER4PT does not have the adapter listed. I want to maintain the 100ohm so I am not sure if I will have to spend more and an adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back