If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 27, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #7,801 of 19,246
  Thanks EtyDave, I will definitely keep you updated. Currently at work so can't give an update until later this weekend.

Thanks for all your help, you guys are the best.

Sounds good.

There's no hurry.  I probably wouldn't be able to look at them until I get through the stack of other work in front of me first.

May 27, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #7,804 of 19,246
I'm not one to fall for FOTM I know better than to get all crazy about something nobody has even tested.

May 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #7,805 of 19,246
It's not the vinyl. The format has nothing to do with it specifically. It's clipping. Excessive clipping is bad for speakers. If it was converted too "hot" that could cause some issue. But you would hear it clipping a lot, so I'm guessing it's not that..

And i bet etydave could tell us if the same is true with the er4s and clipping...

May 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #7,807 of 19,246
Any word on the trading in of the er-4 for the new ones?

Last I heard, it sounded like there would be, but I don't know if the amount was finalized.  There was also some question as to when it would start as I suspect we're going to have a hard time keeping up with demand in the early stages of production.

May 29, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #7,808 of 19,246

3.)  I would be incredibly surprised if your vinyl rips had anything to do with the issues you are seeing.  As gnarlsagan said (great name, btw), it would be more likely because the driver was overdriven, not the fact that the source of the audio originally was vinyl.

Yes, you should also verify the DC offset of your vinyl rips.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html

I would also look at the frequency spectrum of your vinyl rips. Vinyl has a bad habit of having a lot of subsonic noise, requiring the use of a rumble filter. You say your rips aren't normalized. I wonder if they may actually be normalized, but with subsonic noise dominating the levels, causing low audible output.

I've seen loudspeaker cones doing the most horrific in-out slow motion dancing without any low frequency sound to show for it--it was explained to me that it was playing vinyl without a rumble filter. If your vinyl rips are doing that with your etys it can't be any good...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 29, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #7,810 of 19,246

It's looking like we will start shipping next week.  We're getting production spooled up and locking things down.

I hope that thomann.de will get enough ety-supply to feed the whole European market haha

May 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #7,811 of 19,246

EtyDave are the new models will be available in norway, we have the old ones here but i want the new ones :)

Good question.  I am not sure what the distribution path to Norway is.  I'm on the technical side of things, so I'm not always the first one to the party with sales and marketing info.  I'll see what I can dig up.

May 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #7,813 of 19,246
Oh, and btw, I realize that I promised comparison graphs.  I'll try to get those up this week.  I'm knee deep in writing documentation at the moment (not the most fun part of engineering)and will try to get to that soon.

May 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #7,814 of 19,246
  Oh, and btw, I realize that I promised comparison graphs.  I'll try to get those up this week.  I'm knee deep in writing documentation at the moment (not the most fun part of engineering)and will try to get to that soon.

Don't stress yourself too hard! You probably have actual work to do
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back