If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 22, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #7,441 of 19,246
My last probably-too-late suggestion!   I found Ety's (I've had all of them) pretty uncomfortable until I discovered Comply foam tips. (I use Shure's Olives now, as they're almost as comfy, but last much longer. But, Shure's a competitor!)   Anyway, I think you should ditch all the awful (IMHO) foam tips, and just ship the silicone and then S, M and L Comply tips. I've seen a few others do that.. I bet Comply supplies for free/almost-free as promo.. They completely seal out noise, and can be worn for hours.  Just  a thought.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #7,442 of 19,246
My last probably-too-late suggestion!   I found Ety's (I've had all of them) pretty uncomfortable until I discovered Comply foam tips. (I use Shure's Olives now, as they're almost as comfy, but last much longer. But, Shure's a competitor!)   Anyway, I think you should ditch all the awful (IMHO) foam tips, and just ship the silicone and then S, M and L Comply tips. I've seen a few others do that.. I bet Comply supplies for free/almost-free as promo.. They completely seal out noise, and can be worn for hours.  Just  a thought.
I have to disagree here. I've used the comply tips extensively, and while i find them uber comfortable and good, the sound of the ety foam is superior. I've done a/b comparisons and simply listened over time using them as my main tips. I don't know if it is foam density or what, but the comply tips take away from the very high treble clarity a bit. It's enough that every time i just start using them regularly i would think "why don't these sound as detailed?" And ultimately i found it was only when using comply. They almost sound slighlty soft in transients or something. As though crispness suffers.

The upside is they are easy to get deep and seal well. The downside is the sonics. Don't get me wrong, they sound great, and the difference is very small. But i know that i heard the difference even before i realized it was the tips. And it was enough to make me stop using them. Currently the ety foam are about the only tips i prefer. :p

But at least the comply are common and available. So there's always a choice...

It would be awesome if they included them with the er4 though. Tips are the main issue people have, so more choices at the get go doesn't hurt.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #7,444 of 19,246
it's not a matter of superior or inferior sound. the tips, how we insert them, and how deep we insert them, will change the signature we get. sometimes by as much as 10db at a given frequency.

I admit that I have a preference for ety grey foam because it's a good all rounder. they survive longer than comply, you don't really have to make sure you insert them correctly(when comply is definitely a learning curve to get good sound out of them IMO). and of course the isolation is very strong.
shure olives are very long lasting and comfy, and most likely the more hygienic foam(just guessing). but in my ears at least, I couldn't find a way to make ety IEMs sound like I want to. still, I really see this only as a matter of taste. if I could be pleased with the shure olives, I would never use anything else(and I do use them with my se215.)

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #7,445 of 19,246
it's not a matter of superior or inferior sound. the tips, how we insert them, and how deep we insert them, will change the signature we get. sometimes by as much as 10db at a given frequency.

I admit that I have a preference for ety grey foam because it's a good all rounder. they survive longer than comply, you don't really have to make sure you insert them correctly(when comply is definitely a learning curve to get good sound out of them IMO). and of course the isolation is very strong.
shure olives are very long lasting and comfy, and most likely the more hygienic foam(just guessing). but in my ears at least, I couldn't find a way to make ety IEMs sound like I want to. still, I really see this only as a matter of taste. if I could be pleased with the shure olives, I would never use anything else(and I do use them with my se215.)

It's definitely a matter of taste of course, and one tip that fits person a won't necessarily fit person b. But at the same depth as the ety foam, the comply sound slightly softer in treble crispness to me. All factors equal. It's also been measured that comply foam tips reduce some frequencies in some instances. Check out goldenears, specifically the pfe112, which i also have and can completely verify is true. I actually prefer the comply on the pfe because it lowers a part of the treble that actually smooths out the response. And that is also at the same depth and whatnot.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, because not everyone will fit each tip the same or like the feel or comfort. The more options available the better. Comply is great, i just prefer the ety that's all. So including them would be nice, but at least they are still available as an option. :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #7,446 of 19,246
  @EtyDave

I don't suppose there will be a trade-in/upgrade program for loyal owners of the ER4?

I'm not sure how that's all going to shake out.  I'd love to see a loyalty upgrade program.  I'll be sure to put in my 2 cents about that but it's not really my decision.

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #7,447 of 19,246

Insertion depth certainly can play a significant role in the sound of the earphones.  The insert tube in the foam eartips also plays a part in the overall frequency response which is why other brand eartips sometimes sound different (which one may or may not prefer).

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #7,450 of 19,246
  Very, very excited to hear about these changes to the ER4!!! Definitely going to be ordering the 4XR later this year.

Slightly off-topic, but are similar changes regarding the new detachable cable and MMCX connector planned for the HF-line of earphones?

I'm glad you're excited.  It's great to see folks that get excited about our products.  As somebody working to help make it happen, that's very rewarding.

I don't really have any updates to report on the HF right now (I know that sounds like an "I can neither confirm nor deny" type of speech).  If there is something coming that I can share, I'll certainly let you all know.

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #7,452 of 19,246

I'm glad you're excited.  It's great to see folks that get excited about our products.  As somebody working to help make it happen, that's very rewarding.

I don't really have any updates to report on the HF right now (I know that sounds like an "I can neither confirm nor deny" type of speech).  If there is something coming that I can share, I'll certainly let you all know.

Thanks for sharing your inside knowledge with the Ety community, we are all excited and hanging around. By the way what's your favorite "The Residents" album? I do assume you like this very unique band  :)

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #7,453 of 19,246

Thanks for sharing your inside knowledge with the Ety community, we are all excited and hanging around. By the way what's your favorite "The Residents" album? I do assume you like this very unique band  :)

Well, it's actually been many years since I've pulled out any of the old Residents albums.  I adopted that Avatar a long time ago on some other message boards and I've kind of stuck with it.  They were definitely a strange and unique band.   :wink:

Thanks for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #7,454 of 19,246

Well, it's actually been many years since I've pulled out any of the old Residents albums.  I adopted that Avatar a long time ago on some other message boards and I've kind of stuck with it.  They were definitely a strange and unique band.   :wink:

Thanks for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it.

@EtyDave
Just wanted to say that your presence here is brilliant. It's great to see an industry insider who is so straightforward, frank and not engaging in any marketing BS and deliberate obfuscation which I tend to see so much on this forum. 

@everybody From what I understand, the new ER4S is a further refinement (by this I mean more in line with the target curve) of the original ER4S with a new housing etc. Similarly is the new ER4PT going to aim for a similar signature to the original er4pt or is its purpose more different. I couldn't quite tell from the thread.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #7,455 of 19,246
  @EtyDave
Just wanted to say that your presence here is brilliant. It's great to see an industry insider who is so straightforward, frank and not engaging in any marketing BS and deliberate obfuscation which I tend to see so much on this forum. 

@everybody From what I understand, the new ER4S is a further refinement (by this I mean more in line with the target curve) of the original ER4S with a new housing etc. Similarly is the new ER4PT going to aim for a similar signature to the original er4pt or is its purpose more different. I couldn't quite tell from the thread.

Thanks for the feedback; you aren't the first person who has noted that I'd make a lousy marketing person.  :wink:

Yeah, I think the ER4SR will appeal to fans of the ER4S.  As I've alluded to, it's an evolution of the ER4S sound.  A slight tweak to the acoustics and some better materials and features (at least that was the goal).

The ER4XR is the unit that has changed more.  Personally, I never really considered the ER4P an earphone with a bass boost.  It's just a tilt to the response, resulting in slightly more pronounced lows and less pronounced highs.  The ER4XR adds a more significant bass increase but without reducing the highs.  It's really an ER4SR with more low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back