If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #4,217 of 19,251
I have 4 extra unused pair of complys if anyone is interested, pm me:
 - 1 pair medium no wax filter
 - 1 pair medium with wax filter
 - 1 pair large no wax filter
 - 1 pair large with wax filter 

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4,219 of 19,251
I've just re-bought some ER-4s. I got rid of them a few years ago because my ear canals were too narrow to wear them comfortably. But I've never found anything as good as them. I may not end up using them every day but want to keep them as a reference point I can come back to from time to time.

But I would like to experiment with tips. I want to try gliders and the small beige tips. But has anyone tried something more radical like cutting the smallest two sections of the triflanges back so it's just the bass flange and a rubber stem. That might allow deep insertion of the nozel without too much tip being jammed down the ear canal. Anyone tried that or have other suggestions?

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #4,220 of 19,251
I believe Gnarlsagan, may have already done this mod. Although I think he may have chopped the smallest tip only. Check the pics on the thread. Im sure he will ba able to give you some advise.
The only problem I can see by you cutting 2 sections is the tip on the Ety will not be stable, and eventually pretude out into your ear...But you did say shallow insertion though....
You have to ask yourself will they sound as good? Just try it & let us know the result Dr Frankenstein....
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,221 of 19,251
  I've just re-bought some ER-4s. I got rid of them a few years ago because my ear canals were too narrow to wear them comfortably. But I've never found anything as good as them. I may not end up using them every day but want to keep them as a reference point I can come back to from time to time.

But I would like to experiment with tips. I want to try gliders and the small beige tips. But has anyone tried something more radical like cutting the smallest two sections of the triflanges back so it's just the bass flange and a rubber stem. That might allow deep insertion of the nozel without too much tip being jammed down the ear canal. Anyone tried that or have other suggestions?

Quote:
  I believe Gnarlsagan, may have already done this mod. Although I think he may have chopped the smallest tip only. Check the pics on the thread. Im sure he will ba able to give you some advise.
The only problem I can see by you cutting 2 sections is the tip on the Ety will not be stable, and eventually pretude out into your ear...But you did say shallow insertion though....
You have to ask yourself will they sound as good? Just try it & let us know the result Dr Frankenstein....
biggrin.gif

Yes just cut off the smallest flange of the grey triflange, and comfort should be improved. I've since found even more comfortable tips from Amazon. I trim a little off of the inside barrel of the tip so it fits further down on the stem of the ER4S. Here's a pic.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #4,222 of 19,251

I was thinking something slightly different. I might cut off the top to flanges but leave the stem of the tip. The result will be the bottom flange, then the stem protruding. I thought this might allow a deeper insertion with less stress on the walls of the ear canal. But it might not work.

The head-fier I bought them from suggested the Westone star tips and a shallower insertion work well so I'm going to try them.

I had them on for about 20 mins last night and my ears a re still funny this morning. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #4,223 of 19,251
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=headfiorg-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB007X8LH5Y%2Fref%3Doh_details_o04_s00_i00%3Fie%3DUTF8%26psc%3D1

I just bought a set now...

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #4,227 of 19,251
So I've been butchering some tips. I cut the bottom flange off the clear tri-flange, that seals and looks like it's deep. But the barrel is still angled down, meaning they are not up and in the deeper part of the canal. I think the reality is I have very sensitive ear canals and can't really tolerate anything that deep. I apparently have bony ridges in there caused by swimming in cold water, I used to be a swimmer and surfer. SoI don't think there's going to be any miracle solution. I think the ER-4s will sadly be relegated to occasional reference use.

But in good news, it looks like I'm getting a set of RE-272. So the next few weeks will be a shoot-out between those, the IM02 and a shallow inserted ER-4. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #4,228 of 19,251
W
So I've been butchering some tips. I cut the bottom flange off the clear tri-flange, that seals and looks like it's deep. But the barrel is still angled down, meaning they are not up and in the deeper part of the canal. I think the reality is I have very sensitive ear canals and can't really tolerate anything that deep. I apparently have bony ridges in there caused by swimming in cold water, I used to be a swimmer and surfer. SoI don't think there's going to be any miracle solution. I think the ER-4s will sadly be relegated to occasional reference use.

But in good news, it looks like I'm getting a set of RE-272. So the next few weeks will be a shoot-out between those and the IM02, with the ER-4 as a reference point. 
where did you find a 272?? I've been looking to try one'...

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4,229 of 19,251
W
where did you find a 272?? I've been looking to try one'...

The FS forum, I've had WTB add up for a while. It's in Australia too and barely used. It's a true Easter miracle!
There are a couple listed on AliExpress. They both said they definitely have them. But they're expensive and AliExpress is not the ideal place to buy from, so I baulked.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #4,230 of 19,251
you will love the RE - 272, for me at least it is just as good as ER4...I still love mine. Bit of fiddling with insertion but I found over the ear the best that works for me.
Anyway this is the ER4 thread not the 272....But to my ears not much seperates them....But ofcourse I dont do EQ, or graphs etc etc just my ears tell me....
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back