If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #4,247 of 19,251
  take the weighted average of the three then for the type of music you listen to.

That's what I usually do with bass personally. I take the average of the +6db rule and the typical flat response and pick something around +4db. However, the goldenears graph I based this eq on uses the +6db rule, and it seems to work very well for me. I haven't had a single situation where I didn't think the bass was perfectly neutral on the er4s.

LibiSC... What part of the eq do you find you prefer more or less than the other? The bass? The treble? I'm curious, because it seems most people are more critical of treble "accuracy", but not level. And more people are critical of bass "level" but not quality. I'm not saying there aren't people that value both critically in both areas, but just generally from what I've seen.

I recently eq'd a sony ex85lp 100% based on rin's graph of them and the corrective graph I made is very very close to the same contour once matched. Probably in the 95-98% range. It is blowing my mind. But that's another story. I wish i had a graph from rin on the er4s... Anyone? Anyone?? :p  Did he fall off the planet again?

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #4,248 of 19,251

That's what I usually do with bass personally. I take the average of the +6db rule and the typical flat response and pick something around +4db. However, the goldenears graph I based this eq on uses the +6db rule, and it seems to work very well for me. I haven't had a single situation where I didn't think the bass was perfectly neutral on the er4s.

LibiSC... What part of the eq do you find you prefer more or less than the other? The bass? The treble? I'm curious, because it seems most people are more critical of treble "accuracy", but not level. And more people are critical of bass "level" but not quality. I'm not saying there aren't people that value both critically in both areas, but just generally from what I've seen.

I recently eq'd a sony ex85lp 100% based on rin's graph of them and the corrective graph I made is very very close to the same contour once matched. Probably in the 95-98% range. It is blowing my mind. But that's another story. I wish i had a graph from rin on the er4s... Anyone? Anyone?? :p  Did he fall off the planet again?

After listening for a while I can say i don't like the bass in PiccoloNamek's eq...It's too much... not even fun just too much... but I think he tried to match his hd650 not to compensate .. What I like it's that it feels like more comfortable.. I don't know how to put it but some instruments feel like they are behind a blanket or something.... i don't know...

From yours I like the bass in general and the detail for some songs...your eq makes the highs more "tender"... Your bass is just enough... I will put your bass on PiccoloNamek's eq and see how much it changes...

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,249 of 19,251

After listening for a while I can say i don't like the bass in PiccoloNamek's eq...It's too much... not even fun just too much... but I think he tried to match his hd650 not to compensate .. What I like it's that it feels like more comfortable.. I don't know how to put it but some instruments feel like they are behind a blanket or something.... i don't know...

From yours I like the bass in general and the detail for some songs...your eq makes the highs more "tender"... Your bass is just enough... I will put your bass on PiccoloNamek's eq and see how much it changes...

Keep in mind "my bass" is just the bass as compensated by the goldenears graph. I haven't adjusted anything at all to my tastes. The last eq I made was a 100% direct compensation based on the GE graph :wink: Just sayin'. :-o

I've also recently noticed there are multiple GE graphs for the same earphones and they aren't all identical. I used the one on the main review page. There is another one in a page somewhere comparing the er4s to another earphone, and while they are similar they aren't identical. Then if you look in the accudio app under the er4s selection setting there is a graph showing what they compensated, which is even different again. Not sure why they have discrepancies between their own graphs. Strange.

Anyway, none of them are drastically different, but I used the one on the review page, because it seems like the basic compensated graph they came up with from the raw graph. That's why I want to see one from rin. I be his would be pretty good and consistent. Oh well. For me though, the direct eq compensation i made from the GE graph sounds the best I've heard the er4s sound so far.  What is interesting though is that I used the bass point only and red filters and it still sounds really really good. Not as open and 3d, but very relaxing and still very detailed, while the bass makes things sound proper in terms of body and foundation. Either way, these things are very flexible with eq from all my experimenting.

May 1, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #4,252 of 19,251
Hey guys

any online store i could buy red filters? thanks

May 1, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #4,253 of 19,251
Hey guys
any online store i could buy red filters? thanks

http://www.qsabean.com/buy-now/accessories/

Checkout is though Etymotic USA. The red filters are for their QSA Bean amplifier but fit the ER-4. This is much better than buying the generic knowles filters from some place like mouser that have the metal ring around it. These are made for ety.

May 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,257 of 19,251
Someone remind me why the red filters are preferred?
Because we said so! :wink:

Basically the lower the areas of the treble that are slightly peaky with the green filters, yet they don't sacrifice any details. This also gives the impression that the bass is a little better as well.

May 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #4,258 of 19,251

Basically the lower the areas of the treble that are slightly peaky with the green filters, yet they don't sacrifice any details. This also gives the impression that the bass is a little better as well.

To add to this, the most noticable change imo is the slight de-emphasis of the mids around 3k. It's a small change, only a dB or so, but it tilts the FR a little more towards a warmer sound. Small but worthwhile improvement to my ears.

May 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #4,259 of 19,251

To add to this, the most noticable change imo is the slight de-emphasis of the mids around 3k. It's a small change, only a dB or so, but it tilts the FR a little more towards a warmer sound. Small but worthwhile improvement to my ears.

Yea, i said treble, but the main area is that upper mid region for sure. It's the difference between the sound being relaxed or not in a way...

May 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4,260 of 19,251
  you will love the RE - 272, for me at least it is just as good as ER4...I still love mine. Bit of fiddling with insertion but I found over the ear the best that works for me.
Anyway this is the ER4 thread not the 272....But to my ears not much seperates them....But ofcourse I dont do EQ, or graphs etc etc just my ears tell me....
etysmile.gif

Not to veer from the er4s, but oh... my... goodness. I'm listening to the 272 as as write this. These things can bring tears to my eyes. I won't say they're better than the er4s, but they share a lot of similarities in sound, while being more open and natural sounding. When it comes to not using any eq at all, these would be my number one in a heartbeat. It stinks that they aren't in production, and the current models aren't as reference from what I've read. But if you like the er4s, these are a very nice take on a similarly neutral sound. Wow. Why in the world did they ever stop making these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back