If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,732 of 19,251
SGS, how would you compare the ER4S' soundstage to the HF5's?

I've been skeptical of the ER-4S for so long, due to my experiences with the hf3 and er6, both of which sounded very in-head and lacking height. The ER-4S gets out of head and has height and depth that is proportional to my out of head staging.

It of course doesn't compete with the grand staging of the 1+2 but then the 1+2 comes off as very bright with added sibilance, when heard directly after the ER-4S.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,733 of 19,251
I pretty much agree. The ER-4s just sounds so correct and 'real'. It's top tier/TOTL sound for $300. I'd rank it over my 1+2.

Gnarl, this ^ is the kind of stuff you need to say if you want to sell me on the 4S.

Right now, I'm trying to reconcile how the ER4S can sound that way and the F111 isn't quite there.

I am terribly interested in the presentation aspect though if you have a moment to elaborate on that end. I have this weird feeling that it would sound nice with the more aggressive sound of the 5S for some reason.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,734 of 19,251
I've been skeptical of the ER-4S for so long, due to my experiences with the hf3 and er6, both of which sounded very in-head and lacking height. The ER-4S gets out of head and has height and depth that is proportional to my out of head staging.

It of course doesn't compete with the grand staging of the 1+2 but then the 1+2 comes off as very bright with added sibilance, when heard directly after the ER-4S.

Yea, the F111 treble was like the 1p2 in character but without the sinilance. Very very nice.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,736 of 19,251
I pretty much agree. The ER-4s just sounds so correct and 'real'. It's top tier/TOTL sound for $300. I'd rank it over my 1+2.

Glad you like it. What I really want to know is how the JH13 fares. :) I haven't heard enough about them to definitively cross them off my "maybe" list. When you said they might be closer to O-W I started thinking of an F111 upgrade... Although I really like the F111.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,737 of 19,251

So basically what I wanted from the HF5? Damn.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #2,738 of 19,251
Give me a few more days with both the JH13 and ER-4s before drawing some definitive comparisons but I will say the JH13 has a fuller bass presentation than the UERM and isn't as bright. Not sure that's what you are looking for.

On another note, I'm very tempted to try the Custom Art Music One silicone iem. It's based on the ER-4 and is under $300. Supposedly it is tuned to have more bass decay and slightly sharper harmonics. It's raw graph (posted on Facebook) is very similar to the ER-4s headroom raw graph, with more emphasis at 5k being the main difference. Too bad no csd's.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #2,739 of 19,251
  Where's the 4B love?

It's not designed for normal music, I know, but it's still the one I prefer out of the three. I know KEMAR loves the 4B...

This classy lady prefers the 4B... me too.​

But the brightness! I wonder how the 4B + orange filters would sound...

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2,740 of 19,251
On another note, I'm very tempted to try the Custom Art Music One silicone iem. It's based on the ER-4 and is under $300. Supposedly it is tuned to have more bass decay and slightly sharper harmonics. It's raw graph (posted on Facebook) is very similar to the ER-4s headroom raw graph, with more emphasis at 5k being the main difference. Too bad no csd's.

I banned myself from here, came back, and it's posts like these that has my wallet bi!*h slap me in the face. If I'm looking at the correct model, it looks like the red filters are used. Missed the nice promo price they had.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,741 of 19,251
Give me a few more days with both the JH13 and ER-4s before drawing some definitive comparisons but I will say the JH13 has a fuller bass presentation than the UERM and isn't as bright. Not sure that's what you are looking for.

I've been thinking about upgrading to the JH13s also, but I'm just wondering if its worth the jump $300 vs $1,200+. or if I'd be better off getting an amp for one of my other phones. Decision decisions. I'm looking forward to your comparisons also. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,742 of 19,251
I got my ER4PT today. It sounds absolutely beautiful with the ER4S converter hooked up to my amp and DAC. Everything sounds as it should be, close to what the artist intended. 

It has wowed me much more than my JH13 Pro ever did, and I like it even more than my AD900X/HD580/Q701/DT880/SE530/TF10. I would even be so brave as to say that they in the same league as the JH13 Pro. I love its clear and intimate sound with the clear midrange and vocals being my favourite part of this iem.

The ER4 is a fantastic example of how more drivers don't make a better iem. I can't believe that this was released all the way back in 1991. I put off this iem for over 2 years because of people saying that these sound very thin and analytical with practically no bass. I should had let my ears do the judging the whole time. These do not sound thin and analytical at all to me especially when I am used to very warm sounding iems like the SE530.

Just about every single headphone/iem I have ever owned with the exception of the JH13 has made me wish that something in the sound was improved. For example I wish that the SE530 had better bass and treble extension and the AD900X makes me wish that it had a more clearer midrange. I can't find any fault with the way the ER4S sounds at the moment except that it has a very small soundstage, however, I like this as it gives for a very intimate sounding iem with all the details being smacked in your face with all its glory.

I've found the holy grail of iems, and it cost me a quarter of what the JH13 cost me (second hand + cost of remolding, impressions, and cable). The ER4 is as comfortable for me and isolates as well as a custom mold. The only problem now is that it is making me wish that I could upgrade my portable set as well to suit the ER4S properly.

A new contender enters the ring! Why didn't the JH13 wow you as much as the ER4S?

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,743 of 19,251
A new contender enters the ring! Why didn't the JH13 wow you as much as the ER4S?

Curious to know the answer to that one myself. Given the what is it 900 buck difference.

Whats with the female cardinal in the avatar/

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,744 of 19,251
Curious to know the answer to that one myself. Given the what is it 900 buck difference.

Whats with the female cardinal in the avatar/

Price doesn't always indicate sonething is the best. I've had the 4r, pfe232 and ie800 for a while now. None of them sound as good as the er4s. And those are roughly $500, $609 and $1000.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,745 of 19,251
I think if one has money, save up and skip all the mid range stuff. Stick with the ER4-S + custom tips and get a pair of Stax SR-009. Listening to electrostats has always been quite the revelation for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back