If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #18,076 of 19,251
I’ve been enjoying the ER4SR for the last 3 days. Just a few minutes ago I decided to listen to the RE-Zero again (had been using these for a few days days leading up to the arrival of my ER4SR) and immediately felt that they were weightier and less clear, and the soundstage seemed more narrow and congested compared to the ER4SR. Im not an IEM soundstage expert, but the ER4SR seem decently wide sounding and definitely not congested.

So I’m really enjoying the ER4SR. They just sound so clear and uncolored. Nothing is masked and every little detail is just there. I listen to a lot of progressive rock/metal and I’m definitely picking up on some guitar lines I’d never noticed before.

I was also concerned about the deep fit of these, but after 3 days I’m still okay with it. No pain or discomfort or headaches or anything.

Sep 9, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #18,077 of 19,251
I really loved how when the ER4SR was out for reviews & there was THD data by Etymotic, 90% of all units were 0.5% at 1KHz. They instead used ER4XR units at 1.3% at 1KHz but only stopped when 1990 told them THD at 1KHz only a issue if at 3.2%?. When It later turned out the ER2XR was just as high as the ER4XR the same ones were quiet but had 2 in another thread trying damage control the ER2XR they tested was 2% at 1KHz. By saying that you can't judge them off THD data despite outright doing that when the ER4XR was hyped for warm DF tuning?.

Sep 11, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #18,078 of 19,251
How are the custom molds? Are they worth it? Any change in sound and seal?
I have loved every minute of using mine. I do not believe they changed the sound, but it has been a long time since I used Etymotic's own options...

The comfort is second to none; you can wear them all day without any fatigue.

The seal is perfect; no volume adjustments needed in even the noisiest of environments.

Thankfully Ety have kept the physical dimensions of the "new" ER4 range (i.e. SR and XR) so I can also use them on the current range.

The benefits are so strong I would not hesitate on buying them again (if they were still sold) or CIEMs, if only the sound profile of the latter was known beforehand.

Sep 11, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #18,079 of 19,251
I just listened to about 2/3 of Dream Theaters “Awake” album on the ER4SR plugged into a Qudelix 5K wired to an iPhone with Apple Music lossless. It was time for dinner, so I had to stop listening for the time being. It sounded pretty damn awesome. I know some find the SR to be bass light, but the bass drum and the bass guitar were coming thru very nicely and I wasn’t thinking that I wanted more bass. I’m glad I chose the SR, and not the XR. I’m not the best at describing sound, but I liked what I was hearing.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #18,080 of 19,251
I seem to keep forgetting to insert the large flanges in deep. After trying to mimic the ER4XR bass on my ER3SE, I pretty much wanna get them as the bass level is at my sweet spot I might keep the ER3SE as back up in case I'm in the mood for the ER4SR.

But I keep getting wowed by how detailed BA drivers actually even on the ER3SE/XR, It blows away anything I tried that was DD based. I never understood the BA bass issue the ER4XR & ER3SE?, They never choke on fast music even on slower stuff like Dead can dance - Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun I still get sub bass slam but it the detail level outperforms DD bass.

In short the ER4XR pretty much sounds like a warm neutral planar headphone.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #18,081 of 19,251
In short the ER4XR pretty much sounds like a warm neutral planar headphone.
Can't agree... The only "warm" planar is what? A Audeze lcd2-classic?

I can't remember that my Etymotics have a upper midrange dip the size of the grand canyon...

But... A HD650 with a boosted/eq'ed bass... Now that's another story 🙂

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #18,082 of 19,251
So should the ER4SR sound better with a Qudelix 5K (wired to an iPhone, not Bluetooth) than the apple dongle? I have both and I want to say the Qudelix sounds better? Is that probable or is it placebo?

Crinacle says the apple dongle “is fine”.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #18,083 of 19,251
So should the ER4SR sound better with a Qudelix 5K (wired to an iPhone, not Bluetooth) than the apple dongle? I have both and I want to say the Qudelix sounds better? Is that probable or is it placebo?
I'm kinda guessing placebo here. I'm also guessing both are using a sabre chip? :)

The biggest difference / if any / will then be what role of filter is used in what? Fast Vs slow and so on :) ...

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #18,084 of 19,251
I have the 5K and only ever use in wired mode, but am not an Apple user so cannot comment on that comparison. But you could always improve it by using the EQ settings on the 5K...

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #18,085 of 19,251
I'm kinda guessing placebo here. I'm also guessing both are using a sabre chip? :)

The biggest difference / if any / will then be what role of filter is used in what? Fast Vs slow and so on :) ...
I don’t think the $9 dongle uses a Sabre chip.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #18,086 of 19,251
I don’t think the $9 dongle uses a Sabre chip.
Your right, apple likely uses some chip from cirrus logic... (As of my 5 min Google info search).

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #18,088 of 19,251
I know that this question probably popped up here many times, but guys are there on the market other iems more comfortable which sounds the same or even better than ER4XR? (and costs comparably)
... Well... What makes Etymotics special is that they are neutral IEMs. There ain't really many truely neutral IEMs out there.

My best guess would be the Blessings 2...

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #18,089 of 19,251
... Well... What makes Etymotics special is that they are neutral IEMs. There ain't really many truely neutral IEMs out there.

My best guess would be the Blessings 2...
Many thanks, to me ER4XR are very musical and sweet sounding, I wouldn't call them neutral, but rather warm and super clear. But if Blessings sounds similar we can call it whatever 😉

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #18,090 of 19,251
I know that this question probably popped up here many times, but guys are there on the market other iems more comfortable which sounds the same or even better than ER4XR? (and costs comparably)
Comfort is a personal thing but in my experience, you have to spend a considerable amount more to better the ER4, and even then you may be surprised at how many really expensive sets are abysmal in comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back