If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #16,051 of 19,246
@EtyDave another question regarding the connectors: will the EtyMotion BT cable work with the new multi-driver IEM? I want to assume it will, but I was taught in geometry class to never assume as I could make an ass out of u and me.

Edit: I think you answered the question when you said it uses T2 connectors.

The EtymotionBT can certainly drive them, but adapters will be needed for an existing Etymotion BT. At some point, there will be a T2 version.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #16,055 of 19,246
Hey, it's been a while. Nice to see you here again :)
Do you have a measured graph of new model's impedance behavior ?

Not yet. Basically, I don't have any publishable graphs yet.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #16,056 of 19,246
Just for the sake of clarity: the vendor for the cable didn't change. They were made by the same vendor that always made the ER4SR/XR cables. We did migrate the earpiece production to Vietnam, but the cable assembly was always there.

That's good to know. However, as an Etymotic user for nearly 2 decades, I do hope the company not just continue to grow and expend, but also remember why and how it has gained a legendary reputation over the years and shall continue doing so.

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #16,057 of 19,246
calm down fellas, we don't want to lose him again :k701smile:

It's all good. :)
That's good to know. However, as an Etymotic user for nearly 2 decades, I do hope the company not just continue to grow and expend, but also remember why and how it has gained a legendary reputation over the years and shall continue doing so.

I certainly can appreciate that. I think it's always a balance of maintaining legacy vs branching out to new things (and finding new customers). Companies that don't make any changes tend to get stagnant and customers move on to newer things. Companies that forget where they came from can often alienate loyal customers. Some of the older, classic models (such as the ER4B) have been phased out simply because they weren't selling. It wasn't really a shift in philosophy as much as a reduction in market demand over the years to the point that they were no longer viable. But the ER4 product line in general has held up well over the years; far longer than most consumer products. It's such a strong part of Etymotic's identity that I'd have a hard time imagining a product line that didn't have some variant of them around. I owned a pair or ER4 earphones and custom ear plugs before I joined Etymotic all of those years ago, so I include myself as part of the long-term Etymotic fan base.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #16,060 of 19,246
Hope it will not be a product for bassheads )
Many people love etymotic for its uncolored and natural sound.

It was mentioned above, that it will be like the XR models and they are not for bass heads.

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #16,061 of 19,246
It was mentioned above, that it will be like the XR models and they are not for bass heads.
Ok. Let's wait. XR is still ok (actually the ER4XR's FR curve looks like the curve of my planar-magnetic headphones in the bass section - that's fine).
I personally was always with S, SR, SE models. Never tried any XR model.
Nevertheless, my current reference 6BA IEM produce slightly more bass than the ER4SR too.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #16,062 of 19,246
@EtyDave Great to see you back in the thread! Is there any chance of you guys making a CIEM version of the new multi-driver ety?

That's something I'd love to see happen at some point.

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #16,063 of 19,246
That's something I'd love to see happen at some point.

Not going to lie, it would probably be something I'd buy :p Oh, any word on isolate with the new multi-driver design? Is it still that 30-40 dB?

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #16,065 of 19,246
Wake me up when the new ety is released :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back