If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #16,066 of 19,251
Greetings from the Netherlands,

A newbie here (and physicist/environmental scientist). Thanks for sharing all the comments and information on the ER4, that helped me in my purchasing decision (coming from Shure and others -_-).
My jaw has been dropping daily since I obtained my ER4XR after the pandemic arose world wide. What a ride for my brain!!

A quick note on my Vietnam-built version: channel matching is according to the document within 0.3dB and build quality seems to be in order (I have some engineering background - I know, anecdotal arguments are rather weak :p). Which is consistent with the movement of manufacturing being fine quality wise, I thought I should share that.

@EtyDave thank you for all the comments on both the ER4 and new Ety. Funny how I finally pulled the trigger this year and now a new design comes out, haha. I agree with bluetooth being disposable technology in its current form. Is there some battery-replacability on the Etymotion?

@EtyDave When simulating my XR towards an SR through parametric equalisation, I do find that drums like toms are portrayed more realistically... Indeed, if and only if a bass boost would be preferred, it would be only in the extreme bottom-end, 100Hz or below; as I think the boominess, while slight is audible for musicians etc. Depending on the new design too, I am currently thinking about a swap to the SR. This service is mental (in a joyfull manner), do you(r) engineers also look at the use of the units as a data source and/or do you apply re-manufacturing techniques?

@EtyDave If you want to spar on ideas of improving your environmental footprint I would be very glad to help, I praise Etymotic's drive for research-based and durable designs. I can see how you start as a fan, and end up at company like Etymotic, wink wink.

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #16,067 of 19,251
Excited for the new multi driver now, after all i have several er2xr and er3xr and now a er4p. Really like the engaging realistic house sound.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #16,068 of 19,251
When simulating my XR towards an SR through parametric equalisation, I do find that drums like toms are portrayed more realistically... Indeed, if and only if a bass boost would be preferred, it would be only in the extreme bottom-end, 100Hz or below; as I think the boominess, while slight is audible for musicians etc. Depending on the new design too, I am currently thinking about a swap to the SR. This service is mental (in a joyfull manner), do you(r) engineers also look at the use of the units as a data source and/or do you apply re-manufacturing techniques?

Been doing that with my ER2XR since I couldn't find any SE/SR versions, By cutting under 100Hz down to only +4db. It sounds like a ER4XR with dynamic bass but still 95% of same detail/clarity, The only time it worked for me was if it was sub bass Breakcore/EDM/Dark ambient. Still kinda wonder if they could do a ER5SR with a dynamic driver at 5mm, Since the ER2 line up has no 7KHz dip like on the ER4SR I had.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #16,069 of 19,251
Been doing that with my ER2XR since I couldn't find any SE/SR versions, By cutting under 100Hz down to only +4db. It sounds like a ER4XR with dynamic bass but still 95% of same detail/clarity, The only time it worked for me was if it was sub bass Breakcore/EDM/Dark ambient. Still kinda wonder if they could do a ER5SR with a dynamic driver at 5mm, Since the ER2 line up has no 7KHz dip like on the ER4SR I had.

Yeah I have seen some of the comments about the 7k region. I am unaware of how it affects the sound and if it is somewhat off or it may be to control for sibilance etc, but I already mentioned where I come from :p. Could you elaborate on it a bit? It would seem I am less bothered by the 'lower' bass response (I use the triple-flange), when simulating the SR somewhat randomly. In many use cases I don't miss any bass 'heavyness' or so. I surprised myself quite a few times, even though I know about many biases arise from your brain adjusting very quickly indeed to tonality differences and psycho-acoustics. The heated battle of DD vs BA timbre is another potential discussion, which I not really seem to care about. Apparently I like realism.

I did think about the ER2 series maybe being a R&D phase for how far they could go accuracy-wise with DD. The new design apparently is not hydridising DD and BA. I sincerely hope to some extent that the new design is *not* massively better than the ER4, as I had to shell out beyond the MSRP to get these Etymotics in the Netherlands ^_^

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #16,070 of 19,251
Yeah I have seen some of the comments about the 7k region. I am unaware of how it affects the sound and if it is somewhat off or it may be to control for sibilance etc, but I already mentioned where I come from :p. Could you elaborate on it a bit? It would seem I am less bothered by the 'lower' bass response (I use the triple-flange), when simulating the SR somewhat randomly. In many use cases I don't miss any bass 'heavyness' or so. I surprised myself quite a few times, even though I know about many biases arise from your brain adjusting very quickly indeed to tonality differences and psycho-acoustics. The heated battle of DD vs BA timbre is another potential discussion, which I not really seem to care about. Apparently I like realism.

I did think about the ER2 series maybe being a R&D phase for how far they could go accuracy-wise with DD. The new design apparently is not hydridising DD and BA. I sincerely hope to some extent that the new design is *not* massively better than the ER4, as I had to shell out beyond the MSRP to get these Etymotics in the Netherlands ^_^
I personally not a fan of DD BA hybrid. Im yet to find anything DD BA hybrid sounds perfectly cohesive even with ier Z1R.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #16,071 of 19,251

I actually couldn't hear any difference when I had ER2/ER3, Much of the fuss is from people who would moan about the ER4S being too flat but refuse to boost under 100Hz to taste. They went quiet when the ER4XR was launched since it had 4db boost, untill they moved how it being 1% was the issue & refuse to accept they heard some weak bass bloat?. Then they went nuts with the ER2XR bass performance despite them saying <6 mm drivers are weak & the ER4SR can handle the same boost.

I personally not a fan of DD BA hybrid. Im yet to find anything DD BA hybrid sounds perfectly cohesive even with ier Z1R.

Never understood Hybrids, They sound bad to any single driver IEM or the Multi BA ones.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #16,072 of 19,251
I actually couldn't hear any difference when I had ER2/ER3, Much of the fuss is from people who would moan about the ER4S being too flat but refuse to boost under 100Hz to taste. They went quiet when the ER4XR was launched since it had 4db boost, untill they moved how it being 1% was the issue & refuse to accept they heard some weak bass bloat?. Then they went nuts with the ER2XR bass performance despite them saying <6 mm drivers are weak & the ER4SR can handle the same boost.

Never understood Hybrids, They sound bad to any single driver IEM or the Multi BA ones.
True. Millage might vary but I do prefer full BA setup (must be a good one, good timbre is a must) than a DD+BA hybrid. Other than that, just a DD or a BA.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #16,073 of 19,251

Hey thanks for the feedback on the 7k 'dip'. The personal reason for me going with the XR, was a potential for lacking bass, while the FR curve of the low end of the XR seems like the Shures I had previously. I used the olive-type foam tips, which absorb quite some bass - more *towards* what I'd now call SR-like level. Now it turns out I was wrong for trying to 'compensate', comically really.

On the hybrid thingy, 'reviews' seem to converge that they are typically rather poor or overpriced. Maybe it has something to do with the different harmonics associated to both implementations. Not for me either, yet.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #16,076 of 19,251
Double post, I just noticed the ER2 sounds even closer to the ER4 if you cut 7k by 2.7db.
Thanks for that as well; as it should :)

@EtyDave In addition to the previous inquiry, is there a chance of Etymotic creating a different kind of BT adapter, like the iBasso CF-01, Shure TW-1 and FiiO UTWS3, but then suitable for ER4-style earphones somewhere down the line? Non-trivial to design durable and user-maintainable, but still, I would love to see you guys a shot at it.

...hopefully he is still somewhere in this locked dark room :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #16,077 of 19,251
Not going to lie, it would probably be something I'd buy :p Oh, any word on isolate with the new multi-driver design? Is it still that 30-40 dB?

I haven't tested it, but with our earphones, the tip, insertion depth and seal are generally the bigger factors. I would be shocked if you couldn't get in that range.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #16,078 of 19,251
Greetings from the Netherlands,

A newbie here (and physicist/environmental scientist). Thanks for sharing all the comments and information on the ER4, that helped me in my purchasing decision (coming from Shure and others -_-).
My jaw has been dropping daily since I obtained my ER4XR after the pandemic arose world wide. What a ride for my brain!!

A quick note on my Vietnam-built version: channel matching is according to the document within 0.3dB and build quality seems to be in order (I have some engineering background - I know, anecdotal arguments are rather weak :p). Which is consistent with the movement of manufacturing being fine quality wise, I thought I should share that.

@EtyDave thank you for all the comments on both the ER4 and new Ety. Funny how I finally pulled the trigger this year and now a new design comes out, haha. I agree with bluetooth being disposable technology in its current form. Is there some battery-replacability on the Etymotion?

@EtyDave When simulating my XR towards an SR through parametric equalisation, I do find that drums like toms are portrayed more realistically... Indeed, if and only if a bass boost would be preferred, it would be only in the extreme bottom-end, 100Hz or below; as I think the boominess, while slight is audible for musicians etc. Depending on the new design too, I am currently thinking about a swap to the SR. This service is mental (in a joyfull manner), do you(r) engineers also look at the use of the units as a data source and/or do you apply re-manufacturing techniques?

@EtyDave If you want to spar on ideas of improving your environmental footprint I would be very glad to help, I praise Etymotic's drive for research-based and durable designs. I can see how you start as a fan, and end up at company like Etymotic, wink wink.

I always enjoy hearing from my friends in the Netherlands (I have distant family there). To answer your questions:

- Like most portable Bluetooth products, the battery is not replaceable. Usually, by the time the battery is dead, people move onto a newer version of the technology. I dislike the disposable aspect of Bluetooth products in general, but it's (unfortunately) sort of the nature of the beast.

- I apologize, but I'm not completely sure I understand your question here. I do agree that musicians and recording engineers often appreciate SR type response as they often have an internal reference point or a need for true accuracy (and ER4SR is indeed still the most accurate). I have found some musicians prefer extra bass because they are used to the tactile feel of the sound system while on stage. As with many things, different people have different internal metrics for what feels real to them, regardless of objective accuracy.

- Keeping up with environmental requirements can be a full-time job! I'm not sure I'd win any sparring matches, but I'll definitely keep that in mind if I feel ready for it. :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #16,079 of 19,251
Thanks for that as well; as it should :)

@EtyDave In addition to the previous inquiry, is there a chance of Etymotic creating a different kind of BT adapter, like the iBasso CF-01, Shure TW-1 and FiiO UTWS3, but then suitable for ER4-style earphones somewhere down the line? Non-trivial to design durable and user-maintainable, but still, I would love to see you guys a shot at it.

...hopefully he is still somewhere in this locked dark room :)

I would file that under, it's possible. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at that either, but I don't know if and when it would happen.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #16,080 of 19,251
- I apologize, but I'm not completely sure I understand your question here. I do agree that musicians and recording engineers often appreciate SR type response as they are often have an internal reference point or a need for true accuracy (and ER4SR is indeed still the most accurate). I have found some musicians prefer extra bass because they are used to the tactile feel of the sound system while on stage. As with many things, different people have different internal metrics for what feels real to them, regardless of objective accuracy.

- Keeping up with environmental requirements can be a full-time job! I'm not sure I'd win any sparring matches, but I'll definitely keep that in mind if I feel ready for it. :)
I liked very much your interviews and responses over here, helping me to become part of the ER4-family :p
Indeed, it would seem I am more a SR, than an XR guy :)

My questions were environmentally oriented, I'll rephrase:
1a) Do you use returned units to learn from (where they wear, how they are used, etc)?
1b) Do you 'recycle' returned units that have very little nothing wrong with them (think damaged cable, maybe one unit malfunctioning early or whatever)?

2) I may see avenues of interesting environmental science and/or feedback on how to improve environmentally while being cost-effective, companies like Etymotic are scarse (Thermalright is another) and deserve some help in that regard. I would like to help out if possible/wanted, increasing design space and paths.

You know, giving back as you and your team basically are responsible for unexpectedly widening my appreciation for other genres considerably (apparently, the ER4s are that good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back