If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 15, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #15,317 of 19,246
After over a month and a half of trying to decide between the SR/XR versions of the ER4 I think I'm going with the XR. It's really hard to decide. The SR is very accurate and all the frequencies are balanced. The XR I subjectively perceive as a little darker as well as more liquidy and smooth. If I were a mixing engineer or an audio scientist I would go with the SR all the way. For pure music listening the XR is to me a slightly more pleasant experience. YMMV.
I bought the SR because I thought they'd be a great reference. I've used my SR's to check mixes, and for my ears I find the XR better. I remember when Tyll Hertsens reviewed the SR and XR he thought the XR was more neutral. Despite his review I still went for the SR, but over time switched to the XR.

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #15,318 of 19,246
I've noticed a slight clarity loss with the ER4XR, I liked the ER4SR/ER3SE more. After turning my ER3 into a ER4B it insane this was around in 1991, The detail bury's anything i owned even the ER4S/SR by 15%. Despite being the brightest the bass is still full like on the ER4S/SR.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #15,321 of 19,246
I bought the SR because I thought they'd be a great reference. I've used my SR's to check mixes, and for my ears I find the XR better. I remember when Tyll Hertsens reviewed the SR and XR he thought the XR was more neutral. Despite his review I still went for the SR, but over time switched to the XR.

I did a final check comparing the two to make sure before I sent one back, and yep the SR is just a little too bright for me. The low frequency boost on the XR adds some body that sounds more natural (to me). From my understanding the flat frequency response emulates perfectly flat speakers played in a special chamber which is an environment 99.99% of people on this planet will never ever listen to music in regularly. I'm not sure but I believe even expertly treated rooms have a tiny bit of low frequency emphasis.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #15,322 of 19,246
About 2 weeks ago, my 16-year old ER4P died in the left unit, so I decided to try the ER4XR, thinking the extra bit of bass might be nice. I bought a set of direct from E.R. that was show demo set, but never removed from the box case.

They arrived today and when I put them in and started listening, I was fairly shocked at the sound. The bass was significantly more than the much older ER4P, AND the trebles a bit tamer. I went from an EQ boost in the bass on the ER4P to a boost to the trebles on the XR!! Never in my life did I think I would boost trebles on an Etymotic earphone!! I then remembered that several years ago, I had removed the green filters from my older ER4P to get a more treble sound, and that these ER4XR came with the filters installed, but I have kept them in place on the XR, and I think I do like the smoother treble without pinching any of the detail level.

I also like the new cable, which feels sturdy and doesn't tangle hardly at all. Glad to have the familiar excellent sound in my ears and head again.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #15,323 of 19,246
Went back to SR. XR just too dark and boomy. I kept wanting to turn the volume up because of the darkness but then it got loud so I had to turn it down again. I do think the SR is spot-on correct. This is the closest we can get to accuracy short of injecting the digital 1's and 0's straight into the brain. If the sound is too bright it's because the mix is bright.

Blu-ray movies are underrated when it comes to evaluating audio. Here's why:

1) The mixes are grade A top notch. They mix it to be played on very expensive movie theater speakers. The engineers also know lots of people will be listening to them at home on their home theater systems. Contrast this with modern music where engineers know it will be played in the car, on the train, on $5 earbuds that came with the phone, etc.

2) Movie budgets are bigger, and the mixes are engineered by fewer but larger and more experienced studios. Contrast this with music where you have hundreds of studios all over the world with people of varying levels of experience.

So with this in mind, mixes have NEVER come off as bright to me while watching blu-rays. Everything sounds correct and in proportion. Explosions, gunfire, flames are present, rich and meaty. This is why I also think a flat frequency response is the correct response instead of boosted bass. If it were true that movie sound engineers mixed audio with equipment that had a bass boost, then the low end would be lacking when listening to them on the SR and I didn't find that to be the case at all.

DSC_9774-3 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #15,324 of 19,246
I can't believe that er4xr can be dark and boomy. I know that everyone has a different hearing and preferences, but I don't think any of Etymotic iems can be called dark.
It's all subjective of course, but I have er4xr and jvc ha-fw01, between these two jvc definitely is dark sounding iem, not er4xr. ER4XR is very natural and precise sounding iems for my taste.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #15,325 of 19,246
Went back to SR. XR just too dark and boomy. I kept wanting to turn the volume up because of the darkness but then it got loud so I had to turn it down again. I do think the SR is spot-on correct. This is the closest we can get to accuracy short of injecting the digital 1's and 0's straight into the brain. If the sound is too bright it's because the mix is bright.

Blu-ray movies are underrated when it comes to evaluating audio. Here's why:

1) The mixes are grade A top notch. They mix it to be played on very expensive movie theater speakers. The engineers also know lots of people will be listening to them at home on their home theater systems. Contrast this with modern music where engineers know it will be played in the car, on the train, on $5 earbuds that came with the phone, etc.

2) Movie budgets are bigger, and the mixes are engineered by fewer but larger and more experienced studios. Contrast this with music where you have hundreds of studios all over the world with people of varying levels of experience.

So with this in mind, mixes have NEVER come off as bright to me while watching blu-rays. Everything sounds correct and in proportion. Explosions, gunfire, flames are present, rich and meaty. This is why I also think a flat frequency response is the correct response instead of boosted bass. If it were true that movie sound engineers mixed audio with equipment that had a bass boost, then the low end would be lacking when listening to them on the SR and I didn't find that to be the case at all.

DSC_9774-3 - Copy.jpg
I am anxiously waiting. I have been using er3se for several months, and just ordered er4sr. THey will come next week. I am anxious to hear them, will there be much improvement? I love the 3's

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #15,327 of 19,246
I am anxiously waiting. I have been using er3se for several months, and just ordered er4sr. THey will come next week. I am anxious to hear them, will there be much improvement? I love the 3's
I've never heard the 3's. Not sure where you ordered from but Amazon has one of the best return policies/processes. From the graphs the two look very similar. I believe they use basically the same driver. I think the reason for the FR difference is that the 3's have lower impedance.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #15,328 of 19,246
I've never heard the 3's. Not sure where you ordered from but Amazon has one of the best return policies/processes. From the graphs the two look very similar. I believe they use basically the same driver. I think the reason for the FR difference is that the 3's have lower impedance.
I'll let you know what I hear when I have both in hand. Some reviews say that 3 vs 4 are almost indistinguishable. However I have chatted with other users who have both, and I hear them say there is no confusion between 3 and 4. 4 is noticeable clearer and has more dynamics than 3 or 2. Would never confuse 3 vs 4. 4 is the end game. If you change to 4, you would never go back. I will let you know what I hear.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #15,329 of 19,246
I'll let you know what I hear when I have both in hand. Some reviews say that 3 vs 4 are almost indistinguishable. However I have chatted with other users who have both, and I hear them say there is no confusion between 3 and 4. 4 is noticeable clearer and has more dynamics than 3 or 2. Would never confuse 3 vs 4. 4 is the end game. If you change to 4, you would never go back. I will let you know what I hear.
I had er3se and I can say er4xr is clearly an improvement from er3se.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #15,330 of 19,246

I have both 3SE and 4SR and I would agree that there is no mistaking the 3 for the 4. The 4 is just cleaner and more precise. Have at times tried the 3SE again just to compare for the fun of comparison but it's immediately clear to me that the 4SR are superior in every way.
The 3SE are really good. It blew my mind for more than a year. But the 4SR is that last mile you think you don't need... till you try it.
I have at times spent days auditing headphones because I want something on/over ear that compares with the 4SR. But same thing over and over again: At the end of the day when I plug my trusty 4SR back in I'm just floored like the first time I heard them. So far, nothing compares.

The thing I like the most in the ER4SR is the bass. It's so fast and clean. It's insane to listen to fast electronic music like psytrance. The sheer technical ability of the singel BA driver is unbelievable.
Lacking in bass they are definitely not.

I'm a little tempted to try the 4XR but when I think a song sounds thin in the bass department I EQ bass by +0.4dB and it's perfect. If I go up 1-2dB it's too much.
I don't think XR is for me but you guys know how it is... Just have to scratch that itch so one day maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back