If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #15,301 of 19,246
IIRC, Penon Audio should have those.

Someone showed me this link on Penon, "https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html".

Is this something like what others are using?
Are there any better quality options out there?
And is it true the ER3XR with a 20 or 23 OHM resistor inline makes its sound signature very close to the ER4?

It appears the 20 ohm resistor has a range of 20-30 ohm. No idea if that is an issue or not?

• Impedance adapter is used for noise reduction to reduce background noise , protect hearing ,it suit for high sensitivity low impedance headphones .
    [*]Make the sound more pure .
    [*]Whether you use any headphones, any player, any amp, noise all filtered
    [*]Connector : 3.5mm Male to 3.5mm Female
    [*]Black pins:20 ohm (20-30 ohm) Because the impedance range is too small, it is hard to make sure it is 100% 20 ohm[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #15,302 of 19,246
Someone showed me this link on Penon, "https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html".

Is this something like what others are using?
Are there any better quality options out there?
And is it true the ER3XR with a 20 or 23 OHM resistor inline makes its sound signature very close to the ER4?

It appears the 20 ohm resistor has a range of 20-30 ohm. No idea if that is an issue or not?

No idea what others are using, but impedance adapter isn't something very sophisticated and almost anyone who can solder can build one at home, so there isn't really anything that is truly 'better quality' - except perhaps those that claimed to use fancy material and want to charge you big money for it, but ultimately might not even really offer you any better SQ. I personally prefer to build my own (or actually, integrated them into the cable directly in the case of ER4S), using the resistor I mentioned earlier (Vishay Dale CMF50) as it has been well recognized for being fairly transparent sounding.

I don't own a ER3XR so I can't confirm whether it will indeed sound like a ER4XR with an adapter or not, but the measurement does support that conclusion. Generally a one or two ohm shouldn't make a big difference in FR curve, but I have no idea how big a difference Penon adapter's resistance is. If you ask someone to custom build one for you, then you can precisely match the resistance you want.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #15,303 of 19,246
or actually, integrated them into the cable directly

Ideally, this would be a better solution than having a large resistor adaptor sticking so far out of your source begging to be caught on something and breaking it off.

Jul 12, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #15,304 of 19,246
Yes, I would need the whole adapter. I'm not clear on what it would look like, I suppose something that has a female 3.5mm on one end to a male 3.5mm on the other end? Hopefully something that is plug and play.
I use this 30 ohm adapter, works well and has a clear impact on the frequency curve. I use it to soften the bass on bass heavy albums with my ibasso dx-160 & ER3XR
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860330667.html

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #15,306 of 19,246
I've been listening to er2xr for the last week and am very impressed with it listening to amazon music hd from the apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle. I've been wanting to see if these can be improved with more powerful source, but I don't want to mess with apple's otg usb adapter anymore. Has anyone here seen improvement of er2 when using more powerful bluetooth amp (es100, btr5 etc.) vs apple lightning adapter? I am guessing that aac bluetooth codec will hamper any improvements that a more powerful amp would provide. Is there some threshold where powerful bluetooth dac/amp + balanced cable > wired lightning to 3.5mm dongle?

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #15,308 of 19,246
After over a month and a half of trying to decide between the SR/XR versions of the ER4 I think I'm going with the XR. It's really hard to decide. The SR is very accurate and all the frequencies are balanced. The XR I subjectively perceive as a little darker as well as more liquidy and smooth. If I were a mixing engineer or an audio scientist I would go with the SR all the way. For pure music listening the XR is to me a slightly more pleasant experience. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #15,313 of 19,246
Jul 14, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #15,314 of 19,246
I've been listening to er2xr for the last week and am very impressed with it listening to amazon music hd from the apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle. I've been wanting to see if these can be improved with more powerful source, but I don't want to mess with apple's otg usb adapter anymore. Has anyone here seen improvement of er2 when using more powerful bluetooth amp (es100, btr5 etc.) vs apple lightning adapter? I am guessing that aac bluetooth codec will hamper any improvements that a more powerful amp would provide. Is there some threshold where powerful bluetooth dac/amp + balanced cable > wired lightning to 3.5mm dongle?

My er2xr's don't scale that noticeably, not compared to something like the Pinnacle P1's. But then I run a handful of android phones, my main sound device is LG v60 (no iPhone). I run a oppo ha2 for laptop, meridian explorer on my pc and a btr3 for my other non-3.5mm jack phones.

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #15,315 of 19,246
I had er3se and did not like the cable. Are there cables not from etymotic?

Don’t know if this I an option for you. But if you have the skill and right tools you could maybe diy? That’s what I did with mine. Now it‘s approx 130 cm long and balanced too.

BD2A4C14-5557-435C-A341-7910C8A821AE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back