If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 29, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #15,347 of 19,246
I see that the customs they are offering are the Mi range which were the models sold by Minerva based in Wales
I have their Mi3 customs from years ago. Well made shells

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #15,348 of 19,246
Untitled.png

Has anyone tried to play with EQ on the ER4. With some boost in the treble as seen above it seems that you could potentially match or come within spitting distance of the resolution of the HD800 with this IEM. Not only that, but the ER4 does not have the grainy treble of the HD800 which means that it defaults to better clarity for individual sounds/instruments. The only catch is that the driver itself might start to distort if you boost stuff too heavily. This experiment was performed on the ER4XR.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #15,349 of 19,246
Untitled.png

Has anyone tried to play with EQ on the ER4. With some boost in the treble as seen above it seems that you could potentially match or come within spitting distance of the resolution of the HD800 with this IEM. Not only that, but the ER4 does not have the grainy treble of the HD800 which means that it defaults to better clarity for individual sounds/instruments. The only catch is that the driver itself might start to distort if you boost stuff too heavily. This experiment was performed on the ER4XR.

Going to give this a try and see how it compares to my HD800S.

I am loving the smooth treble on my ER4XR. It's the super fast resolving decay that takes my breath away every time I listen to them.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #15,350 of 19,246

Trying to decide between the ER4SR or the ER4XR for my daily driver. Does the ER4SR repsond to bass EQ well? My main genres are Jazz, R&B, Oldies, Rock and Hip-Hop. I'm definitely not a basshead but I like a little bottom end sometimes without sacrificing the treble.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #15,352 of 19,246
Treble was a bit too hot for me so I returned to stock.
The is some upper treble peak there that I can't find and it gets amplified if you boost the treble. I think the clarity gets close to the HD800 when you boost the treble a little but the actual nuances and small details are not the same (HD800 clearly takes the lead).

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #15,353 of 19,246
Trying to decide between the ER4SR or the ER4XR for my daily driver. Does the ER4SR repsond to bass EQ well? My main genres are Jazz, R&B, Oldies, Rock and Hip-Hop. I'm definitely not a basshead but I like a little bottom end sometimes without sacrificing the treble.
In my experience the ER4SR respond very well to EQ but with the limitations of BA driver. +5dB bass boost is no problem but you loose a bit of clarity in the bass department ofc. I usually put +0.4 dB bass boost to get that extra meat that's missing in some songs when I'm in that mood.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #15,355 of 19,246
Hi Smorgar, when you talk about a boost of + 0.4db, at what frequency point is a PEQ?
About 31-63Hz

Just listened to Melanie De Biasio - The Flow and landed on this EQ for a bit of meat:
Screenshot_20200730-195901.png

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #15,356 of 19,246

Try a +3db 100Hz low shelf for some extra sub bass. The ER4SR responds fantasticliy since it THD for bass is <0.6% at 100db. I've stopped looking for bassy IEM's after staying with the ER3SE and using EQ on them.

My sweet spot is 4db 100Hz on my ER3's. Which gives metal & other genres more low end without going full basshead.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #15,357 of 19,246
Been out of the loop after buying my Er2xr at least a year ago. Is there now an aftermarket cable available for them?

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #15,358 of 19,246

The fact the ER4XR is 95% close to the HD800S(or better in few ways) while being 1.2% at 1KHz really backs that BAs are just better at detail. The SR version can be <0.1 ~ 0.55% at 1KHz so it wouldn't shock me it sound even more detailed at louder SPL like 85 ~ 100db.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #15,359 of 19,246
If you are struggling to get a comfortable fit for most Ety's, for years I have used the Shure foam tips for my older ER4P and now the ER4XR. It's a snug fit on the Ety nozzle, but they don't have to be inserted very deep at all to get fantastic isolation and comfort. They come in S, M, L sizes. Smalls are shown below.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-EABKF1-10M-Sleeves-Included-Earphones/dp/B0015PN3W6

Shure Ety Tips.jpg

Attachments

• Shure Ety Tips.jpg
    Shure Ety Tips.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back