If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,516 of 19,251
Quote:

I have both ER4S and RE400 but still don't think RE400 is "better" or can replace my ER4S.  Fit and comfort wise RE400 is superb and the I can't fault its sound (especially at this price point but not because of it).  But ER4S scale much better with your amp/dac than RE400.  Using my AK120 now I'm loving my ER4S even more.  I still haven't been able to find a "better ER4S".  Must confess I went away from it since I don't lug around a stack and went with dedicated players but the ER4S and FT334 are my two go-to IEMs these days.  I mainly use RE400 in bed or when I went go out with just my Note2.  

I still LOVE my ER4S (so much so I'm on my 3rd pair now)!

Yes, I think ER4S is technically the better IEM, but RE400 can definitely sound more enjoyable because it its fuller, smoother sound with bigger, more impactful bass and a more 3D soundstage.

BTW, how do you think ER4S compares to FT334 in sound quality?

May 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,517 of 19,251
Quote:
thanks..appreciate that..when you talk about the.. Foam tips..are you taking about the ones that come with the etys or are you talking about the complys?? I really don't like the way the complys make them sound..I find they loose that sparkle in the high end..but with the foam ones that come with them I find they sound really good...??thank you.

If you get the t-130 comply tips those are the exact tips that come with the pfe series.  I verified this with phonak and when I ordered my extras they were identical...  The etys stock foam tips are different and also, the comply's on the ety have a different effect.  With the pfe they do lower the highs a bit, but it's actually a very good thing, because you still get the extension of the highs, but it just brings the peakiness down closer to reference.  So it actually improves the pfe...  I like the silicon as well, as you get more sense of "crispness" but at the cost of peakiness... Which to me sounds like a lot of "sshhhhhhhhh" in drum cymbals.

May 31, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,518 of 19,251
Quote:

I have both ER4S and RE400 but still don't think RE400 is "better" or can replace my ER4S.  Fit and comfort wise RE400 is superb and the I can't fault its sound (especially at this price point but not because of it).  But ER4S scale much better with your amp/dac than RE400.  Using my AK120 now I'm loving my ER4S even more.  I still haven't been able to find a "better ER4S".  Must confess I went away from it since I don't lug around a stack and went with dedicated players but the ER4S and FT334 are my two go-to IEMs these days.  I mainly use RE400 in bed or when I went go out with just my Note2.  

I still LOVE my ER4S (so much so I'm on my 3rd pair now)!

That's like me.  ER4S = home, PFE112 = bed and out and about.

May 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,520 of 19,251
Quote:
How can I not know? I was the one who chided you for preferring the RE0 to the $850 ES3X lol. That was ages ago. I was a big-time newbie back then, and didn't know any better. haha

Damn. Sorry mate - I totally forgot.
redface.gif

May 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,521 of 19,251
I'm with kkcc. I've gone through the more expensive IEMs, but always come back to the ER4S.

May 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #1,523 of 19,251
Quote:

That's like me.  ER4S = home, PFE112 = bed and out and about.

I also use ER4S out and about as long as I have my AK120.  Note2 just simply don't do justice to it.  I had gotten used to the fit and microphonic issues over the years and I love the isolation.  I also use it at home listening to classical or unplugged materials.

Quote:

Yes, I think ER4S is technically the better IEM, but RE400 can definitely sound more enjoyable because it its fuller, smoother sound with bigger, more impactful bass and a more 3D soundstage.

BTW, how do you think ER4S compares to FT334 in sound quality?

FT334 is actually the end result of a long winded (and costly) search for a "better" ER4S.  Throughout the journey I also learned to appreciate different sound signatures/qualities (everyone has a basshead in us?!).  The draw of the FT334 for me is it is a lush, intimate, slightly warm, tight deep bass impact, while still maintaining mostly the accuracy and transparency.  However, regardless of how technically capable this little gem is, it doesn't give me the same raw/native sound as ER4S.  Its mid can sound too intimate and its bass too powerful on certain tracks or depending on my mood.  You can almost think of it as the re400 on super steroid as it fits the "fuller, smoother sound with bigger, more impactful bass and a more 3D soundstage" description to a T.  Oh, the MH335, based on the universal tipped demo, is even better.  

May 31, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,524 of 19,251
Even though I've had and used the ER4S for  at least 15 years! I've still never used them with any sort of dedicated amp. 

Without size or cost constants,  within reason : )    Which none portable, full sized  amplifiers , tube or SS,  would  you recommend for me to consider as being the the  'perfect' match  to maximize the potential of these great IEM's. Or is it really unnecessary consider  anything 'better' than say a JDS Labs Objective 2?
Is there an amp thats was specifically designed with the ER4S in mind? ( the only amp that comes to my  mind is the Krell KSA5V which I read somewhere that Dan d'agostino  designed and used  specifically with a pair of ER4S to help in the design of his massive amps!

I would be using only a cd player as my source, via RCA outputs and would like to use its own builtin dac rather than an external dac/amp.

May 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,525 of 19,251
Quote:
Even though I've had and used the ER4S for  at least 15 years! I've still never used them with any sort of dedicated amp. 

Without size or cost constants,  within reason : )    Which (none portable) amplifiers , tube or SS,  would  you recommend for me to consider as being the the  'perfect' match  to maximize the potential of these great IEM's. Or is it really unnecessary consider  anything 'better' than say a JDS Labs Objective 2?
Is there an amp thats was specifically designed with the ER4S in mind? ( the only amp that comes to my  mind is the Krell KSA5V which I read somewhere that Dan d'agostino  designed and used  specifically with a pair of ER4S to help in the design of his massive amps!

I would be using only a cd player as my source, via RCA outputs and would like to use its own builtin dac rather than an external dac/amp.

It doesn't get much better than the objective 2. :)   "objectively" speaking. :)  I have the C5 portable amp, and it does excellent with the er4s.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,527 of 19,251
Thanks for the suggestions so far, Just wanted to clarify. I'm  ideally looking for a TOTL no compromise full sized amp ( only of course if this, in principle gives a worthwhile improvement over the more popular ( for the Etys at least) portable amps mentioned in this thread. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,528 of 19,251

Without size or cost constants,  within reason : )    Which none portable, full sized  amplifiers , tube or SS,  would  you recommend for me to consider as being the the  'perfect' match  to maximize the potential of these great IEM's. Or is it really unnecessary consider  anything 'better' than say a JDS Labs Objective 2?

In my opinion, different amps may sound different, but none will objectively sound "better" than the O2.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,530 of 19,251
Leckerton UHA-6S mkii is a great neutral and portable source for the ER4S.

If you are planning to use harder to drive headphones in the future (like the Fostex T50RP, Hifiman HE500s, etc) then get the O2+ODAC instead. The O2+ODAC sounds similar to the UHA-6S.MKII except it can drive headphones a lot louder, its cheaper too. The UHA-6S mkii is more than loud enough for my ER4S but not quite enough for my Paradox T50RP when playing high dynamic range music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back