If you had to trade your cans in for another with a completely different sound sig, what would you get?
Aug 1, 2010 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
When I mean trade i mean dollar for dollar what you got, think of it as a complete refund. You also get the money back for any custom cables or any mods you did that would be worth money if done for someone else/sold/etc.

The can you get would have to have a different sound sig, IE: Senn HD600 for AKG K702 or whatever. 

Price doesn't really matter if you're going down in price. 

Just wondering what people would do :)

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 11
as a sidegrade, the 702s for the HD650s. It is somewhat at a higher price, but within the mid-fi bracket.

My reasons for doing so is that although I appreciate the signature and sound of the 702s, I find the genres that it excels in too limiting and I'm used to my IE8s which have bass impact and sub-bass in spades and the 702s are the polar opposite in that respect. Not that it's bad, but I just think the 650s will suit my genres of listening better. I still rather own both and might seeing that none of the top tier cans actually offer the sub-bass and bass impact levels as the IE8s and yes, this involves some colouration whereas top-tier cans tend to steer into the neutral category. I've come to realise that I'd rather enjoy my music with some colouration than with the flaws of the music glaring in my face.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 11
Nice choice. I made this because I was trying to find out what I would get if I had to switch lol... right now I'm in the process of buying a silver headphone cable to give me some more detail; one cable I have now (blue dragon) gives emphasis in the mids and lows but for classical/acoustic I want something brighter :)

But yea I'd probably go with the HD600/650s too... that and some custom cables would make me happy :)

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Nice choice. I made this because I was trying to find out what I would get if I had to switch lol... right now I'm in the process of buying a silver headphone cable to give me some more detail; one cable I have now (blue dragon) gives emphasis in the mids and lows but for classical/acoustic I want something brighter :)

But yea I'd probably go with the HD600/650s too... that and some custom cables would make me happy :)

I've never gone into custom cabling, I'd love to, but the expense and thought of paying for cables that cost as much as the headphones themselves are mind boggling, so I'll see how it goes. But I'll likely end up using my 702s for classical, so I might actually get the 650s and settle for a nice mid-fi set up.

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 11
Yea.... it's definitely not for everyone... I have only done this after I felt that I'm getting the bst from my setup....

Some people state that they can't hear differences but I don't really think it's that hard to hear... it really depends on the TYPE of cabling being used. Going from stock cable to another high quality copper cable isn't going to give you that much of a difference but if you go to a silver you get a big boost in clarity and detail....

Other types of copper configuration can give you more bass (such as the blue dragon cable from moon audio).

But yea it is a lot of money.... I'm having to sell my ER4Ps to fund for the cable because I have a problem with saving lol...

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 11
I just traded my Senn HD650 for a Mark Lawton Modified Denon D2000.

We'll see...

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 11
This was just starting to get interesting.
Lets' bump and see if we can get some more opinions.

I'm wondering whether to go from HD595s to Pro 750s for a closed bassy tone.

Subscribed.
popcorn.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Err my O2 MkI for an MkII, crazy I know =)

Or maybe a Woo WA5LE and LCD-2, who's got a coin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back