If you had 500$ budget which headphone/DAC,AMP would you get?
Jan 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

drmrwt

Head-Fier
I am in the same situation. I have been endlessly searching the threads here but no use, it is just adding to my confusion so i thought 
i shall ask this question from all you Audiophile Guru's out there. I listen to rap, hip-hop, tance, techno and some rock. your help will be appreciated. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I am in the same situation. I have been endlessly searching the threads here but no use, it is just adding to my confusion so i thought 
i shall ask this question from all you Audiophile Guru's out there. I listen to rap, hip-hop, tance, techno and some rock. your help will be appreciated. 

Some options:

Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-400
Mr Speaker Mad Dog

Fiio E10 or E17
Schiit Magni/Modi

Very best,

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I'd go for the HE-400 for headphones, and the Audinst HUD-mx1, which is a DAC & Amp in one box.

Thanks mate, I am still not sure should i be getting closed or open cans to begin with? lol kinda embarrassing :). anyway where would the HD650's stand against em? Or should i go all out and just get the HE-500's and get an amp/dac later on. My frustration/confusion is pretty evident i am sure. 

Quote:
+1 for the HE-400, they will go great with the music you listen to.

Thanks for the input, How would the he-400 sound with just the Odac? i may add a separate amp for future proofing it later on. 
On the other hand how do the HE-400 compare with the Mr Speaker Mad Dogs(I like the price) and the M-100's? I am not a huge fan of sharp treble(like my mg7's) do the HE-400 have smooth treble not fatiguing? 

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Some options:

Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-400
Mr Speaker Mad Dog

Fiio E10 or E17
Schiit Magni/Modi

Very best,

Great to see you again. I still have not purchased my cans yet!....
Which DT880's are you suggesting 600 or 250ohm? 
Those Mad dogs have some pretty good for the money. they do lack some aesthetic appeal though for my first pair of full sized cans. 
you suggested the Denon D2000's at one point, i liked them but i kinda want a detachable cable.  
Is it justified to get the HE-500's for 600$ (Amazon warehouse) and adding the DAC/AMP later, what would you suggest?

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Great to see you again. I still have not purchased my cans yet!....
Which DT880's are you suggesting 600 or 250ohm? 
Those Mad dogs have some pretty good for the money. they do lack some aesthetic appeal though for my first pair of full sized cans. 
you suggested the Denon D2000's at one point, i liked them but i kinda want a detachable cable.  
Is it justified to get the HE-500's for 600$ (Amazon warehouse) and adding the DAC/AMP later, what would you suggest?

Heya,

The 250ohm DT880 would be my primary suggestion; it's universally easy to pair with any amplifier basically (both solid state & tube; both desktop & portable).

I don't think the HE500 would be what you want; it's a very natural headphone, not overly bassy, and based on what you're listening to, I would expect less than super high quality recordings, so it wouldn't make much sense to go high-end for it, plus the amplification requirements. I would suggest the HE-400 instead. And get an amp with it right away, like the Schiit Modi/Magni.

Very best,

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

The 250ohm DT880 would be my primary suggestion; it's universally easy to pair with any amplifier basically (both solid state & tube; both desktop & portable).

I don't think the HE500 would be what you want; it's a very natural headphone, not overly bassy, and based on what you're listening to, I would expect less than super high quality recordings, so it wouldn't make much sense to go high-end for it, plus the amplification requirements. I would suggest the HE-400 instead. And get an amp with it right away, like the Schiit Modi/Magni.

Very best,

Agreed about the HE-500 not being what you want.  While being great with all genres IMO, it is still much more amp picky than the HE-400 or the DT880.  If you're looking for a more bass-filled 'fun' presentation over the DT880, and would prefer not to spend as much as the HE-400, I would recommend the DT990 250 ohm, which is also very easy to pair amps with.

The HD650 is not going to be as great as the other recommended headphones, because of its unnaturally smooth sound.  Personally, I enjoy a more forward, fun pair of headphones when listening to the genres you listed above... not a laid back, 'forget there is music playing because it's so relaxing'  type of headphone like the HD650.

All in all, I think, based on your sound prefs, all three of those headphones: HE-400, DT880, and DT990 would be great choices.  I haven't heard the Mad dogs so that I cannot comment on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back