If You Had $1500 What Amp/DAC + Headphone Would You Buy?
Jul 4, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ickyman

Head-Fier
Hello,

Here's where I am at presently..

I use my comp with an optical out with FLAC's as a source. For an amp I use a D10. For phones I use HFI-780's or ATH-AD-700's. I listen to mostly metal/industrial. I bounce around a bit with genre's. I like the sound of the HFI's, however after listening to my AD700's I realize the sound stage of the HFI's doesn't compare to em.

Basically, I am looking for a set-up that'll give me a similar sound signature to the HFI-780, aggressive with very capable lows, coupled with a sound stage closer to the AD700's.

I do like the D10, my only complaint is the volume level it can reach. On newer recordings it is barely adequate, on older recordings (with both phones) I find myself sometimes wishing it would go up to "12 or 13" as opposed to "10"... basically a 30% boost with the phones that I got would probably suffice. I know I probably should stop at 10, but 12 or 13 is more fun and it's not like I am listening to em 24-7 at this level.

I was given a suggestion a while ago by a person I trust to consider a pair of HiFiMan HE-5's + a NuForce HDP

I guess my biggest question is if this advice is still current?

Thanks in advance.

PS I wasn't sure exactly where to post this as i realize it is a pretty broad question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back