If you could own ONE amp it would be ____?
Jul 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #46 of 76
Forgive my ignorance, but is that a DIY amp?  If so what did it cost to build?  I would like to attempt building a nice tube amp just for the fun of it.  What other amps did you consider before deciding on this one?

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #47 of 76

Quote:
No, Burson in like Bose Blows, they do alot of marketing. Look at Meier.

So, first you ask for our personal preference. Then reject a members choice with a statement like that when it does not suit your taste...
Oh my!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #49 of 76

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but is that a DIY amp?  If so what did it cost to build?  I would like to attempt building a nice tube amp just for the fun of it.  What other amps did you consider before deciding on this one?

I would refer you to my comparaison between the three amps I have built here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503622/showdown-3-diy-tube-and-hybrid-amps-millett-hybrid-minimax-bottlehead-speedball-crack-hagerman-castanet#post_6804622 It will answer your questions.

Before the Bottlehead Crack was released, I was also considering the Bottlehead S.E.X. and a few hybrids, notably the Cavalli EHHA and SOHA II. My recommendation is that if you want a tube amp, and you have only low impedance phones, OTLs will not sound the best: my Speedball Crack gave a very bright sound to my MS-1i. Hybrids (I think) and especially transformer coupled tube amps will have lower impedance to help you drive your 'phones.

To begin with tube amps, I would recommend either a low voltage hybrid (Millett) or, if you are conscious about the dangers of high voltage, a bottlehead amp (their manuals are simply pieces of art).

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #51 of 76
I have a decidedly mid-fi setup that pleases me. I like my solid state Gilmore Lite and my tubed Little Dot MKIII. Would I like to have a kick butt Beta22 with Sigma22? Would I like a beautiful Woo? Absolutely. And when I get mentally grasp spending more mega bucks for them I might break down and do it. But I'm quite happy listening. :)

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #52 of 76

Quote:
I have a decidedly mid-fi setup that pleases me. I like my solid state Gilmore Lite and my tubed Little Dot MKIII. Would I like to have a kick butt Beta22 with Sigma22? Would I like a beautiful Woo? Absolutely. And when I get mentally grasp spending more mega bucks for them I might break down and do it. But I'm quite happy listening. :)

enjoy the tunes
beerchug.gif
.  i think head-fiers need to understand that a "mid-fi" HP kit will give you much more for so little compared to a speaker-fi. 

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #53 of 76
I'd like the Luxman P-1u...

But the BCL sounded pretty close to me too, so I'm getting a BCL clone.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #54 of 76
The Eddie Currant BA. It is the best amp that I have heard. Wont need to upgrade this for a long time.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #55 of 76
RSA The Hornet

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #56 of 76
Electrostat - BHKE / BHSE - Unless the KGSSHV proves to be just as good/better to my ears.

Dynamic - Still undecided.  The dynamics lineup is fairly large, so I need to audition quite a bit more before I decide on one of these.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #57 of 76
My Manley Neo-Classic 300B preamp. I had lusted after one for a while and instead bought a modest (but still great) amp instead. Curiosity gnawed at me until I caved and bought the Manley. Not only is it a superlative headphone amp (I will never, ever want for more) but it's also a breath-taking preamp in its own right.

It's a shame not many people are familiar with it.

My next step is to tube roll it.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #60 of 76
Just bought my first amp  Burson Audio HA-160.

Would like to try a Woo amp too though.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back