If You Could Have Any Headphone....
Jul 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

ilikedonkeys39

100+ Head-Fier
say you won this insain contest and could win one pair of headphones, but it could be any pair in the world

what would it be and why?

ps the purpose of this thread is just for everyone to share their opinion

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 55
Jul 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 55
Why not on the Stax? And as far as the HD800...If it's not with a tube amp I don't want to listen to it most of the time.

Quote:
LCD2/3 or R10.  I've listened to the HD800 and it does not interest me.  The stax headphones do not interest me either.

I'm honestly not much of a stat fan, but if I could win something worth that much money, it could buy a ton of not stats. :D

Also, don't forget the LL...

Quote:
I would definitely pick the SR-009s, just because they are the best audio transducer i have ever had the opportunity to hear, and that was on a lesser amp, i couldnt even imagine them on a BHSE or KGSSHV

There's quite a few people that considering them the holy grail. It all depends on what you want in the end.

Quote:
/thread LCD3 is a bit of an oddball though (->treble)

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 55
People have said the Stax extend real low in the bass, but are nothing in comparison to the closed dynamics or large planar magnetics for actual impact.
There comes a point where no amount of detail retrieval can replace the fun in music when it's impactful, and I think it's all too important to get as much of it as you can get considering headphones are far from high fidelity in that regard.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 55
I can understand that. That's my problem with them as well. Some people love the pure 'wall of sound' effect you get from them. Was just curious.

Quote:
People have said the Stax extend real low in the bass, but are nothing in comparison to the closed dynamics or large planar magnetics for actual impact.
There comes a point where no amount of detail retrieval can replace the fun in music when it's impactful, and I think it's all too important to get as much of it as you can get considering headphones are far from high fidelity in that regard.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 55
Wait a minute...do we win just headphones or a full system? I wouldn't want an SR-009 if I had to buy something to drive it with.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

I used to think the same thing, till i heard the Sr-009s. i would never have bought a pair of 007s over a pair of LCD-2s, but the 009s are like everything awesome about stax, but they have weight and impact to the sound unlike any other stax ive heard. Maybe not quite as much as a good pair of orthos, but enough :D

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 55
I already own them, the Denon AH-D 7000.

Why?, I love the sound signature.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 55
same. my magnums supplement my desires, fully. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 55
Sennheiser Orpheus.  Mainly because that's the only way I'd ever get to hear them.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:
Wait a minute...do we win just headphones or a full system? I wouldn't want an SR-009 if I had to buy something to drive it with.

I have the same dilemma. While I could attempt to drive an SR-009 with my receiver + SRD-7/SB setup, it would be quite underbiased with no Pro bias...

Regardless, the SR-009 gets my vote because, having had experience with a few Lambda-series models, I know that Stax (and probably electrostatics in general) has a sound presentation that really appeals to me, and I'm no basshead. Clarity, detail, and the sense of "being there" in an atmosphere of sound that seems to come from everywhere around me (especially with binaurally-mixed sources) are my priorities.

Also, they make really comfortable headphones, probably the most comfortable I've ever worn. I don't know how well the SR-009 compares to the Lambda models in terms of comfort on my head, though; it's very doubtful I'll ever see one (or even the SR-007) in person without buying it myself.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 55
Considering this fantasy giveaway includes no amp and I already own a PS1000 and a T5p, which would be my first choices driven straight from my reciever, I have a dilemna. Perhaps I'd get a signature Pro, but I feel like between the two aforementioned flagships I'd be bored with it. I guess I'd have to get something completely out there. Wait a minute...

LCD-3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back