If price were no object would you rather get Studio Beats or ATH m50s?
Feb 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #16 of 31
The M50s are a better choice. I own the m50s and my amp is iBasso D2+ Boa. It's a nice setup, but i switch to computer audio now. Enjoy the m50s. The Beats are alright, overly muddy. I heard them in the Apple store and they disappointed me. Go with the m50s.

Also i use a rockboxed fuze, which i prefer more then the ipod.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 31
You might be able to find an iBasso D2+ Boa for close to your budget. It will work as an amp/DAC for your computer and an amp from your iPod. It worked well with the M50 when I had it. Also, take a look at the Shure 840 if the bass hump of the M50 isn't to your liking.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 31
Listened to both before. I rather take Beats. The beats ain't /that/ bad.
I don't like the signature of M50... recessed mids.. eeek.
But I wouldn't trade my HD25 for the Beats.
dt880smile.png

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
Listened to both before. I rather take Beats. The beats ain't /that/ bad.
I don't like the signature of M50... recessed mids.. eeek.
But I wouldn't trade my HD25 for the Beats.
dt880smile.png

I agree the Senns win but Beats lose against M50.

I am of of course completely subjective here.(and I too heard heard both,many times)

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 31
M50 end of story.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #22 of 31
studio beats, and a receipt dated within 30 days from bestbuy

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #23 of 31
Even without taking price into consideration, the m50's beat the beats in both sound quality and build. However, if your main purpose is to upstage your friends with the beats, the hfi-580's are better suited for it. The thing most people notice about the beats is the muddy bass. The 580's have more bass than the m50's, and does better with mainstream music (electronic, rap, hip hop, and pop). To a normal person, the difference in sound quality between the beats is more noticeable with the 580's than the m50's.

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
Hi there,

I know there are several comparisons already on the site and I have read them all but I couldn't really find comparisons on overall sound quality without value being taken into account.  Value is definitely important to me but in all honesty I'm posting this out of a selfish desire to show friends that they wasted money on their beats.  I know its childish but there is something about the way people keep bragging about them that makes me want to kick headphone ass prove them wrong.  Maybe I feel that because they claim to have bought them for audio quality I feel some kind of strange irrational need to show them being an audiophile is much more than buying whatever they suggest at best buy.  

Don't get the wrong idea though, I definitely do care about sound quality and I was already in the market for closed headphones that I could listen to on the bus or on my way to classes due to the fact that my Grados leak too much noise.  I'm sure you all can in some way understand my strange and unhealthy desire to show them up so I was wondering that, if compared side by side, would the m50s sound noticeably better than the beats?

Are you in high school?

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #25 of 31
I'd like to take a second and thank everyone who responded, I really appreciate it.  I woke up and read this and kinda realized how ridiculous i sounded, I guess thats what I get for posting at 3 am.  I really am just looking for good closed headphones that would complement hip hop music.  Thanks for all the thoughtful responses!  I kinda regret to say that I kinda do wanna feel superior but first and foremost I definitely want good headphones. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #26 of 31
College...
I guess it is childish to want to one up someone but i guess still want to?  Just being honest here.  I always have some fantasy scenario in my head where someone is bragging about their skull candies or beats or whatever and I pull some kind of prove that they don't know what their talking about.  I don't even know what I would say and thinking about it I would probably come off as a dick but I guess its something to indulge.  Maybe i'm just a bad person but I guess it would make me feel some kind of smug satisfaction if they did admit that I got better headphones for cheaper?

Feb 26, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 31
If price were no object for me, I would take the highest level of Beats. Whatever those are.

Then I would sell them and buy M50's and pocket my extra $500.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #29 of 31

Quote:
Even without taking price into consideration, the m50's beat the beats in both sound quality and build. However, if your main purpose is to upstage your friends with the beats, the hfi-580's are better suited for it. The thing most people notice about the beats is the muddy bass. The 580's have more bass than the m50's, and does better with mainstream music (electronic, rap, hip hop, and pop). To a normal person, the difference in sound quality between the beats is more noticeable with the 580's than the m50's.

A wise man indeed. Or if they are in favor of rock, the grado line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back