If price were no object would you rather get Studio Beats or ATH m50s?
Feb 23, 2011 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Jaygat

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I know there are several comparisons already on the site and I have read them all but I couldn't really find comparisons on overall sound quality without value being taken into account.  Value is definitely important to me but in all honesty I'm posting this out of a selfish desire to show friends that they wasted money on their beats.  I know its childish but there is something about the way people keep bragging about them that makes me want to kick headphone ass prove them wrong.  Maybe I feel that because they claim to have bought them for audio quality I feel some kind of strange irrational need to show them being an audiophile is much more than buying whatever they suggest at best buy.  

Don't get the wrong idea though, I definitely do care about sound quality and I was already in the market for closed headphones that I could listen to on the bus or on my way to classes due to the fact that my Grados leak too much noise.  I'm sure you all can in some way understand my strange and unhealthy desire to show them up so I was wondering that, if compared side by side, would the m50s sound noticeably better than the beats?

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 31

Quote:
Hi there,

I know there are several comparisons already on the site and I have read them all but I couldn't really find comparisons on overall sound quality without value being taken into account.  Value is definitely important to me but in all honesty I'm posting this out of a selfish desire to show friends that they wasted money on their beats.  I know its childish but there is something about the way people keep bragging about them that makes me want to kick headphone ass prove them wrong.  Maybe I feel that because they claim to have bought them for audio quality I feel some kind of strange irrational need to show them being an audiophile is much more than buying whatever they suggest at best buy.  

Don't get the wrong idea though, I definitely do care about sound quality and I was already in the market for closed headphones that I could listen to on the bus or on my way to classes due to the fact that my Grados leak too much noise.  I'm sure you all can in some way understand my strange and unhealthy desire to show them up so I was wondering that, if compared side by side, would the m50s sound noticeably better than the beats?

Depends on what's important to you.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 31
I tend to value clarity and the ability to separate elements of the music. My musical tastes are all over the place, ranging from mostly hip hop to indie and acoustic.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 31
50's.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 31
If you have no problem possibly getting a modest headphone amp, I would definitely get the M-50.  They're a better all rounder, but to be their best, a modest amp does wonders with them.  Something like a NuForce μDAC-2 works great with the M-50s.  The Beats have their own amp built in, so they don't benefit from an external amp. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 31
I have,

- Sennheiser PXC450
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 60ohm
- Monster Dr Dre Studio
- Monster Dr Dre Studio Pro

And Monster headphones are just garbage, especially at the comfort level it's not very usable.
 Monster Studio Pro is very heavy, you won't be able to wear it no more than 5 minutes.  Same for Studio version.

For me, a "good" headphone consists of 1. comfort level and 2. sound quality.

My suggestion, don't get Monster Dr Dre, it's expensive and it's just a trend/hype.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the responses!  I'll definitely look into an amp.  Is there an amp <100 that anyone would reccommend?

Is your source a computer?

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 31
PA2v2.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 31
M50 is my 2nd full-size phones after MS2is.  I'd pick them over the Beats Studio anytime.  On the other hand, I also tried the Beats Pro which has noticeable smoother but less comfortable.  I might consider changing to the Beats Pro if price is lower.

My 2 cents.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
My source would be my computer but an ipod on the go

If using a computer as source, it's hard to beat the μDAC-2 from NuForce.  I works particularly well driving the M-50s.  The DAC is great, the headamp is great for the ~$100 price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back