If not Grado's then what?
Nov 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

KneelJung

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been listening to Grado's almost exclusively for almost a year. Started out with a pair of SR60's because after reading several threads and posts here on head fi, discerned they were great entry level phones and also quite possibly the best brand for rock. I've had other Grado's that have came and went over the course of the past year and for whater reason always seem to come to the conclusion that the SR60's, all things considered are more than adequate. Although I may get a pair of used 225's at some point in the future.

What am I missing out on though by buying into the Grado hype that seems to suggest they are the best phone for rock. Any suggestions other than Denon's, the recessed mids drove me nuts

My musical tastes are mostly classic rock and bluesy jam band sort of stuff like the Allman Brothers or Government Mule but not limited to that. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think I'm looking for an all arounder that's good at a lot of stuff but not necessarily great at anything.

Also I think I prefer open to closed, something like the Beyer 990 maybe?

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 53

Quote:
If you like Grado's sound signature, why not just stick with Grado?

Because some people are picky with their headphone form factors and don't like on ear headphones - I'm not suggesting this guy is....but speaking for myself I would go for some Grado's but the only reason I don't is because I much prefer over the ear types. 

I do half agree with your statement though, if you already have a particular Grado and you're quite happy with it then why not stick, save and be happy ? But on the other hand it's that curiosity which is precisely what drives this hobby and the search can sometimes be the fun part. Or an uphill struggle. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 53
If not Grados then AD1000's/AD2000's. They sound good from a soundcard, but get a solid state amp with low output impedance (ideally with bass boost like the M3) and a very transparent source for them and they'll shine. CD3000's are also a good (the only good) closed option.

Anyway, no beyers, no AKG's, no Sennheisers except HD25-1 that people say they're like a closed Grado (a closed Grado isn't a Grado IMO, but the HD25-1's have some of that tight and energetic sound).

And you, with your SR60, have many Grado steps to grow ... there's the SR80 step, the SR225 step, the tube amp long-jump, the SR325 step, the RS1 step, the HF2 side-step, the PS1000 leap. :)

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 53
You would have the same issue with the Beyer mids as you did with the Denon.

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 53

Quote:
Quote:
If you like Grado's sound signature, why not just stick with Grado?

Because some people are picky with their headphone form factors and don't like on ear headphones - I'm not suggesting this guy is....but speaking for myself I would go for some Grado's but the only reason I don't is because I much prefer over the ear types. 

I do half agree with your statement though, if you already have a particular Grado and you're quite happy with it then why not stick, save and be happy ? But on the other hand it's that curiosity which is precisely what drives this hobby and the search can sometimes be the fun part. Or an uphill struggle. 

Quote:

And you, with your SR60, have many Grado steps to grow ... there's the SR80 step, the SR225 step, the tube amp long-jump, the SR325 step, the RS1 step, the HF2 side-step, the PS1000 leap. :)

Actually I've taken the 225 step, the MS2 step and currently on the HF2 side step. The SR60's are keepers and I may or may not end up with 225's again. My conundrum is the only house sound I'm really familiar with is Grado. I wasnt particularly enamoured with the d2000's the short time I had them. So I'm just sort of fishing for alternatives. I guess what I'm wondering is what do people that dont own Grado's have as their main can and why do you like it? 

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 53
I have the Beyer DT 990 Pro....what I like about it is the soundstage and detail, also the highs and bass are pretty good to me. Soundstage is incredible though. I am however having problems at the minute getting used to the headband. I usually don't like on ear headphones as I have had some painful ones before (literally painful) from Sennheiser. But the Koss Porta Pro I still have is the total opposite in terms of comfort that is very comfortable on my ears. Still not keen on the design though still prefer over ears. How would you rate the Grado brand in the on ear comfort department ?

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 53
Ultrasone PRO2500.  I always felt that the Ultrasones were everything that the Grado SR series aspire to be, and more.  The Ultrasones offer that nice forwardness of the Grados, but also provide the bass and dimensionality which are lacking in the Grados.  : )

Funny.  You and others mention the Denons' "recessed mids".  That was never a problem for me, with either the D2000 or D5000.  I found the mids clean, expressive and fairly well balanced with the treble and bass.  The Grado SR series headphones don't offer deep bass, IMHO (I've owned/tried them all in the SR line).  Theirs is a "fun", jumpy bass, but it lacks depth and articulation. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 53

Quote:
Quote:
You would have the same issue with the Beyer mids as you did with the Denon.

Does this hold true for all three pairs (990,880, and 770)?

I own the DT880/600.  IMHO, these headphones offer a crystal clear and well-balanced/well-integrated midrange, albeit a trifle lean.  Bass reach is there, but bass umph is lacking.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 53
There is a certain amount of discomfort with the Grado's from time to time. I hardly experience any discomfort issues with the 60. pretty light can and the comfies dont cause the same issues the bowls do. I had Senn pads on the MS2's, two pairs actually. regular Senn pads and a pair with the silver dollar mod. Occasoionally I would experience some discomfort around the ears with those but surprisingly the lighter 225 with the bowls at times caused more discomfort than the heavier MS2. I havent really experienced any discomfort with the HF2's yet but they have bowls too, so I'm sure if had a real extended listening session I would experience some discomfort. For me anyway the discomfort issue was more prominent in the bowls and only after wearing them for a while.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 53

Quote:
Ultrasone PRO2500.  I always felt that the Ultrasones were everything that the Grado SR series aspire to be, and more.  The Ultrasones offer that nice forwardness of the Grados, but also provide the bass and dimensionality which are lacking in the Grados.  : )

Funny.  You and others mention the Denons' "recessed mids".  That was never a problem for me, with either the D2000 or D5000.  I found the mids clean, expressive and fairly well balanced with the treble and bass.  The Grado SR series headphones don't offer deep bass, IMHO (I've owned/tried them all in the SR line).  Theirs is a "fun", jumpy bass, but it lacks depth and articulation. 

x2

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 53
I think it is because Ultrasones have even more recessed mids...When I had my Denon D7000 and my Ultrasone Pro900, the recessed mids of the Pro 900 is even more obvious when compared side to side. Placing an Audio Technica W5000 and Sony CD900ST side to side with the Denon D7000, it's obvious the mids of the Denon is laid back too. V-shape FR is not bad though.  It a perfectly fine sound preference

Quote:

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 53

Quote:
I've been listening to Grado's almost exclusively for almost a year. Started out with a pair of SR60's because after reading several threads and posts here on head fi, discerned they were great entry level phones and also quite possibly the best brand for rock. I've had other Grado's that have came and went over the course of the past year and for whater reason always seem to come to the conclusion that the SR60's, all things considered are more than adequate. Although I may get a pair of used 225's at some point in the future.

What am I missing out on though by buying into the Grado hype that seems to suggest they are the best phone for rock. Any suggestions other than Denon's, the recessed mids drove me nuts

My musical tastes are mostly classic rock and bluesy jam band sort of stuff like the Allman Brothers or Government Mule but not limited to that. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think I'm looking for an all arounder that's good at a lot of stuff but not necessarily great at anything.

Also I think I prefer open to closed, something like the Beyer 990 maybe?

You know what, man?  I'm rocking my SR60s right now, bro.  Been listening to them for almost 6 years.  They never sounded better than they do right now.  I LOVE these cans.  These are the cans that started it for me, man.  Never looked back.  Ever.  Headphones will come and go in my castle, but the SR60s will be on my ears when they put me 6 feet under.  One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back