If I can't power the DT880's for gaming and movies through the Mixamp what next?
Dec 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
In my oppinion the mixamp CAN power your beyers for gaming and movies.

Yea, I take back what I initially said on that. I had them too high and was expecting something a little different. Like I said, I had the bass boost on and that was too much for the headphones... Like I said, it just got too muddy and the detail wasn't like I wanted/expected. Fast forward to the next night, I don't have the mixamp maxed out and I'm rather pleased. I gave a review off an impulse listen. My bad, lol. Things should get that much better with the E9 though. I haven't just checked yet, but I'm hoping I can run the sound from my cable box as well to the headphone amp as well as the mixamp or I will just have to cable switch.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #17 of 29
Dec 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #18 of 29
Ok, my E9 came in and I want to get everything hooked up optimally and if I need to buy some cables get those asap. So far, I'm guessing the wireless function is going to be gone from the Mixamp 5.8, which I don't really mind at all. I was wondering if the E9 should go before or after the Mixamp. I don't think it can go before since It's only got an optical input.

Right now I've got the RX unit headphone out going into the E9 line in (3.5 cable) and just plugged my headphones into the amp. Should I use the -90 or the 0db side? Gain on/off?  I should still be retaining the Surround sound from the Mixamp as well?

On the back of the E9, what can I use the USB in, and the pre-out for? Anything in particular. I'm guessing this is correct, but if there is a better way to hook things up, please inform.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 29
Leave the gain 'up' on high. Yes you retain all DH processing this way. I don't know about the NEW Mixamp, but I output the Mixamp from the headphone out to the line-in on the E9.

-Daniel

PS: You're lucky it came today!

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #20 of 29
Also, the usb is only for use with the Fiio E7 dac, nothing more. -Daniel

There is no 0/-90 side---that just shows the 2 limits of the volume dial. Your Beyers should have a 1/4 jack, so use that on the right jack of the Fiio obviously. The other side is for the smaller 1/8th connection, in case you don't have the 1/4 adapter anymore. There is NO difference in sound from either, and you can still use the gain switch however you want with either jack as well. (You WANT it on high with those Beyers though!) Just test it out, and notice how much more volume you need on the lesser gain lol.

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 29

lol, sending wireless signal to your amp, lol!
Quote:
Ok, my E9 came in and I want to get everything hooked up optimally and if I need to buy some cables get those asap. So far, I'm guessing the wireless function is going to be gone from the Mixamp 5.8, which I don't really mind at all. I was wondering if the E9 should go before or after the Mixamp. I don't think it can go before since It's only got an optical input.

Right now I've got the RX unit headphone out going into the E9 line in (3.5 cable) and just plugged my headphones into the amp. Should I use the -90 or the 0db side? Gain on/off?  I should still be retaining the Surround sound from the Mixamp as well?

On the back of the E9, what can I use the USB in, and the pre-out for? Anything in particular. I'm guessing this is correct, but if there is a better way to hook things up, please inform.

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
Also, the usb is only for use with the Fiio E7 dac, nothing more. -Daniel

There is no 0/-90 side---that just shows the 2 limits of the volume dial. Your Beyers should have a 1/4 jack, so use that on the right jack of the Fiio obviously. The other side is for the smaller 1/8th connection, in case you don't have the 1/4 adapter anymore. There is NO difference in sound from either, and you can still use the gain switch however you want with either jack as well. (You WANT it on high with those Beyers though!) Just test it out, and notice how much more volume you need on the lesser gain lol.

Thank you sir for the help! Yea, it came in right on time. Love USPS... yet to fail me, ok maybe once lol.
Thanks again!

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
lol, sending wireless signal to your amp, lol!
Quote:

What's so funny? I've got the USB connected between the base unit and the RX, not sure if that eliminates any of the wireless transmission, but it sounds just fine to me.

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #24 of 29
Finally an ear to ear smile when I cranked the mixamp up and turn the E9 to about 10 O'clock. couldn't be happier. No more $$$ for now, until I read about too many people loving the LCD 2's... :D

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 29

Quote:
What's so funny? I've got the USB connected between the base unit and the RX, not sure if that eliminates any of the wireless transmission, but it sounds just fine to me.

The mixamp 5.8 only does wireless transmitting which is why it is a piece of crap.  It would be amazing if they gave the ability to do both.  In it's current state you have to rely on wireless which won't give as good a signal as wired, and you can't use it in a lan environment because of interference.  

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #26 of 29

Thankfully, I never had a wired one to notice any sound quality loss and this one is keeping me happy..
Quote:
Quote:

The mixamp 5.8 only does wireless transmitting which is why it is a piece of crap.  It would be amazing if they gave the ability to do both.  In it's current state you have to rely on wireless which won't give as good a signal as wired, and you can't use it in a lan environment because of interference.  

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

That's no fully correct. A few of my friends on Avsforum (who are very fanatical about sound quality with their gaming) own both the wired Mixamp and the wireless 5.8. They all agree that they sound EXACTLY the same. This is with some pretty good headphones like the 880s, K702s, and the like.

I do agree that it won't work out for lan/competitions, but for home use, it's just as capable as the normal one. The fact that it uses a 5.8ghz signal will keep interference to a bare minimum if any. Those who have 5.8 routers simply moved the Rx unit of the Mixamp away from it.

As far as making the wireless useless if you attach an amp to the Rx, that is YMMV. Why? (continued on next post)

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 29
The powered amp attached to the Rx doesn't have to be plugged in to where the Tx and console setup is, so the cables don't have to be ran across the ground in front of you.

For example, in my case I can use a power outlet next to where I sit to power my E9 that is connected to the Rx unit. I would have a side table next to my couch where both my Rx and E9 are, both which ha e absolutely no need to be connected to the console/transmitter area (aside from charging the Rx unit via USB).

Keep on mind that the Mixamp 5.8 doesn't use the usually crappy radio frequencies that typical wireless headsets use. You will get a steady clean signal unless you move very far away from the Tx unit, where it normally be too far for normal setups.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 29
I don't believe I Will be capable of hearing differences between the wired and non-wired one. In fact I am going to buy a wired one now.

What headphones fo you use with your wired mixamp??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back