If I can't power the DT880's for gaming and movies through the Mixamp what next?
Dec 12, 2010 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I got the DT880/600 and thought it would be an acceptable medium, but I think I enjoyed the TB PC21's better, because they got louder and the bass was criper. With the mixamp maxed out it certainly gets loud enough, but the bass gets muddy and distorted and not as enjoyable as I was expecting for my games as far as detail, bass, etc. What would be a better headphone for the job? Maybe the Audio Technica A900's?  I would like a step above the AD700's, but if they are going to be a better match, then I guess I shouldn't overlook them, but I want something as good as I can get in the < $250 range.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 29
Add an amp in between the Mixamp and the 880s.

Enjoy. Just trust me. I dunno why you ever thought the Mixamp alone would bring out the 880s potential. Better off getting the 32ohm version for that.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 29
The problem isn't going to be solved by buying headphones.  Most $250 headphones are going to need an amp, or they are all going to sound bad like the dt880 you currently have.  Instead of new headphones you need to look for an amp.  

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 29
Seriously. While 600ohm Beyers are usable with the Mixamp alone, they are pretty unrefined without an amp to juice them. The 880/600 is probably one of the most versatile headphone in their price range, and not giving them an amp to give them the juice they need is just a rookie mistake.

Here's what I do with my 990s and the difference is very obvious vs mixamp alone (I'm not talking about volume, but quality).

Mixamp --> 3.5mm male/male --> Fiio E9 (line in) --> DT990/600.

Sure its adding more stuff, but this is a surefire way of giving the 880s what it's missing.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 29
I mean I knew that from the get go, but just reading some peoples opinions on them I thought they were going to be doable, but not like this. I've got some knowledge with headphones and have had some pretty nice setups back in the day, but this was just disappointing. I didn't want to go with the lower ohm ones, because the high treble spikes and lack of smoothness from what I read would not be a good idea for me and my listening. With the purchase of the mixamp, new tv, headphones, and some other things my funds are tapped for this audio setup otherwise I would just buy an amp. I'd rather not spend any more at the moment, but just out of curiosity what would be the cheapest acceptable amp that could somewhat get the job done?

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 29
The E9 is 130 dollars and a neutral amp and has a crapload of power. You won't even hit 50% volume.

I think people here blow things way out of proportion. I have friends who have owned various ohm versions of the 880s at the same time. One owned the 32ohm and 600ohm. He couldn't tell a noticeable difference in sound. The other owned a 250ohm and 600ohm. He also couldn't tell a difference. All that was different was volume levels.

I myself owned the 32ohm 880, and the treble is nowhere near as aggressive as my 990/600.

But we all hear differently. All I know is that people buy stuff out of fear for unjustified reasons. I myself wish I'd have bought the 250ohm when I got my 990s as it was 40 dollars cheaper, and the one person I asked who tried both couldn't tell them apart sound wise.

Placebo effect, and buyer's remorse is all I see when people go straight for the 600ohm. At least it makes sense with the 770s as they are undoubtedly different, even with the same ohms, they have varying versions.

And the 32ohm 880 was awesome with the Mixamp, though I still felt that it needed an amp.

You bought the 600ohm because you heard it was better. Ironically, this was while they were tested with equipment that drives them to a higher degree than the Mixamp. For your use, you made any benefits of having the 600ohm obsolete, and would have probably gotten a better boost in sq with the lower ohm 880s as they need less juice. So even with the mindset that the 600ohm is better, you weren't going to gain those particular benefits (if any) with your setup.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 29

Quote:
The E9 is 130 dollars and a neutral amp and has a crapload of power. You won't even hit 50% volume.

I think people here blow things way out of proportion. I have friends who have owned various ohm versions of the 880s at the same time. One owned the 32ohm and 600ohm. He couldn't tell a noticeable difference in sound. The other owned a 250ohm and 600ohm. He also couldn't tell a difference. All that was different was volume levels.

I myself owned the 32ohm 880, and the treble is nowhere near as aggressive as my 990/600.

But we all hear differently. All I know is that people buy stuff out of fear for unjustified reasons. I myself wish I'd have bought the 250ohm when I got my 990s as it was 40 dollars cheaper, and the one person I asked who tried both couldn't tell them apart sound wise.

Placebo effect, and buyer's remorse is all I see when people go straight for the 600ohm. At least it makes sense with the 770s as they are undoubtedly different, even with the same ohms, they have varying versions.

And the 32ohm 880 was awesome with the Mixamp, though I still felt that it needed an amp.

You bought the 600ohm because you heard it was better. Ironically, this was while they were tested with equipment that drives them to a higher degree than the Mixamp. For your use, you made any benefits of having the 600ohm obsolete, and would have probably gotten a better boost in sq with the lower ohm 880s as they need less juice. So even with the mindset that the 600ohm is better, you weren't going to gain those particular benefits (if any) with your setup.

I understand what you are saying, but like I mentioned I took some reviews from people who used the 600ohm version with the mixamp. Like I said, it's not terrible, but having a pretty good ear, it leaves more to be desired especially when I know better sound can be achieved for the price. If I can't find a cheap amp good enough < $150-200, then I'll just sell and go for the PC360's I guess... they have had pretty good reviews. Aye ye ye... I promised I wasn't going to do this again, lol.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 29
Dude, the E9. Thing is literally trumping amps worth 3 times the price. For $130, I seriously doubt you won't be impressed at just how powerful, clean, and sexy the E9 is.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 29

Quote:
Dude, the E9. Thing is literally trumping amps worth 3 times the price. For $130, I seriously doubt you won't be impressed at just how powerful, clean, and sexy the E9 is.

Thanks for the recommendation. I might just go for that amp. I played some more today and its actually not that bad. I had the bass boost on last night when testing it out and that was excessive. I can be happy with the setup as of now. With the bass boost off I don't have to max it out and the sound is definitely loud enough and detailed. It's just missing more of a push of the detail and clarity perhaps, not that that's bad either... Like I said I didnt really spend too much time with them. I think I am going to keep them and go with the E9, more than likely. Where can I buy that at that price?

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I might just go for that amp. I played some more today and its actually not that bad. I had the bass boost on last night when testing it out and that was excessive. I can be happy with the setup as of now. With the bass boost off I don't have to max it out and the sound is definitely loud enough and detailed. It's just missing more of a push of the detail and clarity perhaps, not that that's bad either... Like I said I didnt really spend too much time with them. I think I am going to keep them and go with the E9, more than likely. Where can I buy that at that price?

Here, me thinks:
http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-desktop-headphone-amplifier-black-p-42.html?osCsid=d791cc7637d5ed9ef1dcd961cc27b177

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
Quote:

Nvm the last question, see that's normal price Ebay through me off.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 29
Ok, the E9 has been bought. Thanks for the recommendation. Seems like it should definitely get the job done based on the little research I
ve done.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 29
In my oppinion the mixamp CAN power your beyers for gaming and movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back