If anyone is using Vista give WASAPI in Foobar a go results are excellent
Sep 15, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recently upgraded from XP to Vista and googled how to get bitperfect sound again

the WASAPI plugin for foobar works great with my Trends UD-10 (usb transport)

bitperfect confirmed through DTS wave files

How in the world did you get this to work?!
confused_face_2.gif

This is the same setup I have (i.e. Foobar to Trends), but I can't find a way to get it to work without stuttering, since the Trends seems to be limited to 44.1 kHz sampling rate, while the WASAPI plugin defaults at 48 kHz... and I can't find a way to change it in Foobar! And no, resamplers don't work either.

Did you do something special, you little fiend?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybride /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cplay works excellent in Vista, no prob. When loaded a cue file all songs are loaded in the player. At earlier point i had troubles with different file types, so i recoded all my music to FLAC now
smile.gif

Do you know a way to go back to your Flac files and create .cue sheets for groups of Flac's? I hate that cPlay will only load one song at a time or one .cue sheet at a time, but I didn't create .cue sheets when I ripped my CD's.

It does sound great playing Flac; I imagine many people will find it to sound significantly better than foobar 0.9x/ASIO (non-Otachan) or Winamp/Asio.

I haven't decided if I prefer it to my Foobar 0.8.3/Otachan ASIO setup. It may be "different" but not better/worse deal. There may not be too many who will understand, but Foobar 0.8.3/Otachan is akin to Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plate when cPlay is like Sylvania 7025
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

This is the same setup I have (i.e. Foobar to Trends), but I can't find a way to get it to work without stuttering, since the Trends seems to be limited to 44.1 kHz sampling rate, while the WASAPI plugin defaults at 48 kHz... and I can't find a way to change it in Foobar! And no, resamplers don't work either.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Same with me, I get studdering!

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #49 of 83
Try reducing the Buffer size if you are having problem with WASAPI. I get studdering only if my buffer is over 1000ms.

Cant really tell if this improves audio quality or not but for some reason my Vista box just have choppy Directsound audio when other apps are launching or accessing the drive.

Using WASAPI or ASIO4ALL does not have this choppy problem

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same with me, I get studdering!

i'd love to share any tricks, but i didn't need any to get it working!
confused_face(1).gif

it was as simple as can be!

Vista Ultimate 32bit (SP1 + fully updated)
latest foobar + latest wasapi plugin
the Trends UD10 was plug and play!

then i tested various special WAVE files (AC3 and DTS wave files available for free on the internet) and they playback perfectly on my receiver! no stuttering at all!

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #51 of 83
Wow thanks! When I had stuttering/static/popping noise on my foobar with WASAPI, I totally I needed to increase the buffer. Of course, that failed so I spend hours trying to configure settings on my foobar with no sucess. Now with the buffer set at 250ms I get crystal clear music. It was such a simple solution that I didn't think of (always thought I needed a larger buffer as suggested by some people).

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #52 of 83
As you can see with my low post numbers I am a newbe, But I try to be quiet and read, I am currently using itunes to download my cds and have vista. But use emusic for new music. What advantage will I get using foobar, I down loaded the latest version, but have not tried it yet.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #53 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try reducing the Buffer size if you are having problem with WASAPI. I get studdering only if my buffer is over 1000ms.

Cant really tell if this improves audio quality or not but for some reason my Vista box just have choppy Directsound audio when other apps are launching or accessing the drive.

Using WASAPI or ASIO4ALL does not have this choppy problem

You Da Man!

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #54 of 83
Ok, so here is the big question. For those of us who are hearing a difference, what is the easiest way to test for bit-perfect output so we can figure out which program is working and which is not? WASAPI sounds way rolled off and bloated.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #55 of 83
Aww... When I tried to play 24 bit 96khz music, all i hear is lound staticy music. Anything past 48khz does this. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Or could be it possible that my laptop doesn't support spdif out past the sampling rate of 48khz since I never tried before since today.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so here is the big question. For those of us who are hearing a difference, what is the easiest way to test for bit-perfect output so we can figure out which program is working and which is not? WASAPI sounds way rolled off and bloated.

There was a DTS test signal floating around on here somewhere.

A quick Google turned up some links that might prove helpful:
Link

PlasticChicken, that would seem to be the culprit (can't output higher than 48kHz).

I'm not sure what the difference between WASAPI and ASIO4ALL is, but I definitely heard it with Foobar. I seem to remember finding a chart that might help explain things. A quick search didn't find it. I'm curious if the speaker type setting might have something to do with it. I didn't really play around with that aspect, and while it seems like it should bypass the difference in processing for different types of speakers, I do recall people finding that changing that setting with a certain sound card (via its drivers, not Windows) did impact the sound even when they turned everything else off, so it might be worth a try at least.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #58 of 83
Never bothered with ASIO ever since I ditched my EMU1212M, for I know for USB dac's its nothing more than glorified wrapper for directsound output.
WASAPI sounds great to me, and if we assume they sound same/similar, it makes tons more sense to me to get rid of a cluncky piece of software and go with a nice, tidy plug-in. Then of course I don't feel like installing ASIO on mine, so I will keep coming back to this thread to see if anyone could shed a light to this puzzle. If there is a convincing reason they should sound different, then maybe I could give it a shot on my secondary machine... oh well.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #59 of 83
I got XMOD .. Sad news..it doesnt work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back