If anyone is using Vista give WASAPI in Foobar a go results are excellent
Jul 11, 2008 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

Mikeb

100+ Head-Fier
I have just downloaded the latest Foobar along with various addons from the site including WASAPI, and after a suggestion on this forum I set up my foobar under preferences to use the WASAPI plugin for playback (I normally use ASIO for playback with my RME 9632 soundcard) I found using WASAPI for playback gave excellent sound quality with more extended bass and treble plus a smoother sound, unfortunately I did suffer a couple of crashes with Foobar using WASAPI (I think this plugin is still under some development) I have used it at various resolutions and found the 24bit and 96khz sampling to be the best combination sound wise for my setup. I should stress that the WASAPI plugin is only suitable for Vista as XP has a different architecture.

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 83
one of the reasons i miss vista, wasapi with xmplay ? nice stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 83
And i heard ASIO doesnt affect Sound quality on Vista?

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I normally use ASIO for playback with my RME 9632 soundcard) I found using WASAPI for playback gave excellent sound quality with more extended bass and treble plus a smoother sound

Was ASIO not working correctly for you?

How can one bit-perfect playback be better/worse than another bit-perfect playback?!
confused.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 83
Just installed this. Not sure why, but it does sound better than ASIO4ALL output to my USB DAC. ASIO4ALL had increased clarity, but it killed the bass (didn't necessarily feel much tighter, just made it lose most of its impact). This brings increased clarity but the bass still sounds good (tighter, clearer). Does seem more smooth than ASIO4ALL as well (which sounded really harsh to my ears).

I had actually removed the ASIO plugin because it sounded bad. This is much better.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 83
IMO it sounds worse than ASIO4ALL. More bass but it's bloated. ASIO as what everyone says, is smoother.

The most noticeable difference I can hear from the two is there's less detail with WASAPI and the highs are very obviously clipped/rolled off with WASAPI.

I'm sticking with ASIO4ALL
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO it sounds worse than ASIO4ALL. More bass but it's bloated. ASIO as what everyone says, is smoother.

The most noticeable difference I can hear from the two is there's less detail with WASAPI and the highs are very obviously clipped/rolled off with WASAPI.

I'm sticking with ASIO4ALL
biggrin.gif

Are you using bassboost or anything? Also, you're certain you chose WASAPI in the output dropdown box and didn't change any other settings? You might want to go and look at the Windows options for that device, and make sure that all the extra stuff is turned off there as well.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can one bit-perfect playback be better/worse than another bit-perfect playback?!
confused.gif

It's called 'placebo'.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using bassboost or anything? Also, you're certain you chose WASAPI in the output dropdown box and didn't change any other settings? You might want to go and look at the Windows options for that device, and make sure that all the extra stuff is turned off there as well.

As a big fan of neutrality. I would not make such mistakes thank you very much.
mad.gif

I still can't believe you can't hear the highs being clipped/rolled off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called 'placebo'.

Either placebo or that the person who came up with that software just stated it does bit-perfect but it actually isn't..
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either placebo or that the person who came up with that software just stated it does bit-perfect but it actually isn't..
wink.gif

Achieving bit perfection is extremely trivial in software. You have millions of bits travelling through your CPU, RAM, various caches, through the system bus and graphics bus, etc, right now, all bit-perfect. Nothing special about it, and it's nothing to boast about. People using this new API are simply hearing what they want to hear.

Jul 13, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #15 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Achieving bit perfection is extremely trivial in software. You have millions of bits travelling through your CPU, RAM, various caches, through the system bus and graphics bus, etc, right now, all bit-perfect. Nothing special about it, and it's nothing to boast about. People using this new API are simply hearing what they want to hear.

Agreed. I'd say, in standard terms, ASIO4ALL is neutral whereas WASAPI is warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back