If anyone is using Vista give WASAPI in Foobar a go results are excellent
Jul 13, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #16 of 83
It's working fine here. Only problem is that it doesn't play single channel (mono) files. The nice thing about this plugin is that it uses Vista's built in bit-perfect low latency sound path so you don't need a sound card with asio support.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #17 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's working fine here. Only problem is that it doesn't play single channel (mono) files.

Use Foobar's "convert mono to stereo" output component, it won't change the sound. You also apparently have to up-sample or pad anything below 44.1KHz / 16 bits.

It works great and is a nice way of ensuring peace of mind wrt bit-perfect output. I use it cos it denies other apps the soundcard, which stops websites made by morons annoying me when I'm listening to music
tongue.gif
- but, it won't improve sound quality. Talk of "more extended bass and treble" etc is just wishful thinking, unless there was something seriously wrong with the alternate set-up, in which case that's no testimony to WASAPI, rather a condemnation of said previous set-up
rolleyes.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #18 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a big fan of neutrality. I would not make such mistakes thank you very much.
mad.gif

I still can't believe you can't hear the highs being clipped/rolled off.

Either placebo or that the person who came up with that software just stated it does bit-perfect but it actually isn't..
wink.gif

No need to get defensive, I was just trying to see if there might be a reason for the difference you were getting.

I re-installed the ASIO4ALL plugin just to compare. Not sure if ASIO was setup correctly before (I'm guessing not, since it sounded completely unnatural before), but the only difference I'm hearing is that ASIO has a little bit less bass impact. This causes WASAPI to sound smoother to me, since every once in a while ASIO can sound hollow. I'm hearing the same reach and definition on both at the high end, and mids sound the same. I'm not going to try to explain it, but that's what I'm hearing with my equipment.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #19 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to get defensive, I was just trying to see if there might be a reason for the difference you were getting.

I re-installed the ASIO4ALL plugin just to compare. Not sure if ASIO was setup correctly before (I'm guessing not, since it sounded completely unnatural before), but the only difference I'm hearing is that ASIO has a little bit less bass impact. This causes WASAPI to sound smoother to me, since every once in a while ASIO can sound hollow. I'm hearing the same reach and definition on both at the high end, and mids sound the same. I'm not going to try to explain it, but that's what I'm hearing with my equipment.

I suppose it all depends in equipment, taste and of course, your ears
redface.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #20 of 83
I can't get WASAPI to work on my version of Foobar. I get an error message saying that it seems like it the component might have been made for a more recent version of Foobar.

This is strange to me, because I have a pretty current version of Foobar2000 that I couldn't have downloaded more than a few months ago. Do I need to update again, or something?

Thoughts? Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way around it without having to download a new version?

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 83
This is the exact error message I receive:
Failed to load DLL: foo_out_wasapi.dll
Reason: Wrong version number; this component appears to have been built with newer version of foobar2000 SDK, please download latest version of foobar2000 in order to use it.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 83
I've tested WASAPI, and it is indeed bit-perfect (tested via a DTS.wav file to my receiver). ASIO4all renders the same results.

There is no difference in bass, smoothness, or any of that stuff. They both output bit-perfect, and to be more blunt, identical outputs.

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #24 of 83
Wow... what a big, fat, frustrating waste of time for me...

I tried downloading the newest version of Foobar, and I had all sorts of problems with my current skin. I had to redownload my skin, new Foobar version, components, etc. multiple times, and in the end... there is no sound difference between WASAPI and ASIO, except for a very quiet intermittent clicking sound with WASAPI!!

I ended up redownloading the older Foobar version I was using to get everything working correctly again, and had to reset all of my configurations. Back to trusty ASIO.

Grrr... couple of hours wasted, and I still can't get Foobar to stop trying to tag to my WAV files (giving me an error message for each track I play!), so in the end, I'm worse off than before...

Lesson learned: if it ain't broke, leave it the *&$% alone!!

Jul 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 83
Update: I found out again how to disable the tagging updates...

So, couple hours wasted, and I'm back where I started.
mad.gif

Oh well, at least I know now!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #26 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and in the end... there is no sound difference between WASAPI and ASIO

Well of course not, why would you think there would be?

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by badmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I suppose because some of us found a difference in sound.
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose because some of us found a difference in sound.
tongue.gif

If there's a difference is sound, one or the other isn't functioning properly. Bit-perfect is bit-perfect, if one sounds different then one or both aren't bit-perfect.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by badmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Because I'm a gullible lemming that will believe things even if they make no sense at all to my mind.
redface.gif

In all seriousness, though, I'm usually open to the idea of various sources of sound change (i.e. cables, electrical outlets, etc.), but I think I should have thought this one through better!

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's a difference is sound, one or the other isn't functioning properly. Bit-perfect is bit-perfect, if one sounds different then one or both aren't bit-perfect.

This I agree, which makes me come to my own personal conclusion. Something's wrong in my system
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back