IEM's to fall asleep with
Apr 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #31 of 53
Well, there are plenty of earbud reviews on Head-Fi. The Sennheiser MX580 is pretty terrific sound quality wise. I would be willing to sell you my unused pair or my Yuin PK3 (also terrific for sleeping) for a darn good price.

Quote:
Nice recommendation, theleonlion! I forgot that Sennheiser makes a small line of ear buds. And on Amazon the MX580's aren't expensive at all(about $30). 

As for the PL50's, those look like they might not be all that comfortable to sleep in. And where in the US are the 9Wave's sold? I can't find them or a price.

By the way, how is the sound quality of the MX580's? They gotta be a step up from stock ear buds, right(eventhough I think my stock Cowon buds sound way better than stock iPod buds)?

EDIT: Oh wait, what am I thinking? I have a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-II's that I thought sounded absolutely fantastic for the price. But I accidentally through them in a candle, and one side got doused with wax and no longer work. And since I don't have the receipt anymore(bought them in a store a couple years ago) I can't get them replaced. I'll pop those in and lay down and see how they fell. They don't portrude out of the ear really none at all. So as long as those feel ok then maybe I'll get another pair off of Amazon.

Anyone have any experience with the CX300-B's? They're only $30.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #33 of 53
Thanks for the offer, theleonlion. I've never heard of those though. So let me read up on them a bit and see how people seem to like them. I know I can't expect much from them, but I'm just wanting something comfortable with reasonable sound quality(hopefully they sound great with jazz).

As long as reviews and people's impressions are positive, and the price is right, then I'll definitely get them. And which ones do you prefer? The MX580's or the PK3's?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Oh wait, you said you'd be willing to sell your unused pair OR your PK3's. I thought you meant an unused pair of PK3's. So yeah, which do you prefer out of the two? You can give me a pm to tell me about them and give prices, if you like.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #34 of 53
I really think you should give the PL50 a chance - I can lay down with them in all day and not feel any discomfort.  The problem with earbuds is that they tend to fall out really easily, so if you shuffle around at all when you're trying to fall asleep they might fall out.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #35 of 53
Oh I know. My Cowon stock's fall out sometimes when I'm sleeping. But it really doesn't bother me as I only listen to music once I really fall asleep for the night. If I wake up later on I usually take my ear buds out and turn the player off, I usually don't listen to music all night through.

And I really wouldn't mind trying the PL50's. But...the MX580's are cheaper(I don't want to pay too much for something that I'm going to be laying on, think one of the monitors in my stocks are starting to get a little worn from me constantly wearing them while sleeping) and they're ear buds instead of IEM's. I'm not sure how the PL50's are going to feel while I'm laying on my side since they actually go into my ear canal and the MX580's don't.

But like I said, I still wouldn't mind trying them as they seem to be pretty well received by most here. So I definitely have a decision to make.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 53
Well, if you want to go for something cheaper, there's the PL30, but I'm not sure how that feels to lay on since I don't have a pair to try out. soundmagic also just announced new in-ear headphones that look pretty similar to the PL30 but without the bass boost knob...but they don't appear to be out yet. (they said april some time)

Also, the PL50 doesn't stick into the ear very far, so while it may not be as isolating as some, it's definitely more comfortable.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #37 of 53
Well, maybe if I can find someone on here selling the PL-50's cheap enough, then I'll get those along with the MX580's(or the PK3's). I wouldn't mind having two pair of "sleeping earphones", one as a back up. And I'd rather go that route then getting both MX580's and the PK3's. I really want to try the Soundmagic's out.

So I'll take a look around the F/S board and see what I can find.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #38 of 53
+1 more for the pl-50. their fit and low profile are 2 more reasons to seriously consider them. i still feel as tho i will get tangled up in the night,but it hasnt happened yet. i used to wear the digifi operas(kleer wireless technology) to sleep. would  secure my locks in a stocking cap then tuck the receiver in the back. those were good for that purpiose also

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #39 of 53
Thanks for the info, will. I'm definitely considering them. I'm trying to find them around $40(or less) but having a hard time doing so. Maybe I'll place a WTB ad in the F/S forums. If I can find them at around that price then I will definitely get them along with a pair of ear buds.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #40 of 53
I realize they're a lot more pricey, but how do custom IEMs fare on the comfort-for-sleeping scale? I could see it as good, because some are flush, or I could see it as bad, because they're so deep.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #42 of 53
Out of all IEMs I've tried, qjays is best for this purpose.

+1 They fit even deeper with my ears. They are incredibly tiny, think smaller than those tiny jelly beans. Easily the most comfortable iem I have owned, no problem sleeping with them. For something so tiny they also pack quite a punch with their punchy bass.

+1 They are quite simply the some of the best earphones to sleep in at this price point. I never had any issues with sound, comfort or durability after using them for almost 2 years with 3-4 nights of use a week. Plus they pump out some pretty awesome sound as well!

If you look around you should be able to find them going for a lot less..I remember seeing them for about 70 GBP a couple of weeks back.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #43 of 53
Oddly enough, SM3's with olive tips fit like a glove have been my choice, and I've been using them as my go to "sleep" IEM's.  Pretty comfortable, even when on the side and such... of course, ymmv.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #44 of 53
You know what? I think I may just go with the Shure SE215's. I've wanted a pair of these ever since I learned about them, but I decided to go for a pair of M50's  since I kind of prefer cans.

But like I said, I've wanted these pretty badly for a little while now. They're supposed to be comfortable, great sound quality for the price, detachable cable, and a 2 year warranty. And according to this review(with pics):

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se215-review.html

They're supposed to be great IEM's to sleep in. I was thinking of going for the PL50's or the qJays just because now I want a decent pair of IEM's that I can switch to if I get tired of wearing a pair of cans for whatever reason. And I figure for a few more bucks I can get these instead of the PL50's or qJays. And with a 2 year warranty, I'll be covered for a while.

So what do you guys think? Decent choice for all around use(not just to sleep in)?

EDIT: Oh wow, for some reason I thought those qJays were like eighty bucks. Forget those than, I'm not willing to pay $220 for IEM's right yet.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #45 of 53

So did you buy the M50s for sleeping?

Aren't they big for sleeping?
Quote:
You know what? I think I may just go with the Shure SE215's. I've wanted a pair of these ever since I learned about them, but I decided to go for a pair of M50's  since I kind of prefer cans.

But like I said, I've wanted these pretty badly for a little while now. They're supposed to be comfortable, great sound quality for the price, detachable cable, and a 2 year warranty. And according to this review(with pics):

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se215-review.html

They're supposed to be great IEM's to sleep in. I was thinking of going for the PL50's or the qJays just because now I want a decent pair of IEM's that I can switch to if I get tired of wearing a pair of cans for whatever reason. And I figure for a few more bucks I can get these instead of the PL50's or qJays. And with a 2 year warranty, I'll be covered for a while.

So what do you guys think? Decent choice for all around use(not just to sleep in)?

EDIT: Oh wow, for some reason I thought those qJays were like eighty bucks. Forget those than, I'm not willing to pay $220 for IEM's right yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back