IEM's to fall asleep with
Apr 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

h8uthemost

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a good pair of IEM's that are comfortable to sleep in. Like, when I"m laying on my side my ear is directly on the pillow. I'm wanting something that are comfortable for that. I was looking at the Shure SE215's, but I read someone saying that they were disappointed by the sound quality of them, so that kind of turned me off. But I'll look into them again if others are happy with the sound quality.

Things I'm looking for are:

- All around comfort(also comfortable to sleep with them in)
 - Great sound quality(of course)
 - I would like to have a detachable cord, but it's not a must
 - Something in the one hundred to one hundred fifty dollar or less range

What are something good for what I'm wanting? Please also keep in my mind that my most listened to(and pretty much only) genre of music is jazz.

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 53
Good luck, man. I sleep on my side and have never come across across a solution to accommodate this. Even if the housing doesn't protrude from the ear, the pillow usually finds its way in. IMO, any pressure added to an IEM is uncomfortable.

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 53
Yeah, I kinda figured there wouldn't be a good pair of IEM's to sleep with. What I use now to fall asleep to are the stock ear buds that came with my Cowon D2+. Is the sound quality good? Well, they're stock earbuds. Are they comfortable to sleep with? Very, since they don't actually go into your ear.

Guess I'll probably be out of luck.

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 53
Wow, now those qjays look to be what I'm looking for. Nothing at all appears to be sticking out of the ear. However, I checked them out on Amazon and it's looks like they're $250. More than what I want to spend. Here's the item url:

http://www.amazon.com/JAYS-q-JAYS-Armature-Earphones-Black/dp/B001068T5Q

And thanks for the recommendation, Reckless. Again, the Westone 2's are more than what I want to spend. But I DEFINITELY want to get a pair of those(or the 3's) sometime in the near future. Probably won't be good for me to sleep in as it appears they stick out a bit, but I'm sure they sound fantastic.

What about the Shure SE215's? Or even 315's? Anyone sleep in these?

Apr 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 53

I am able to sleep in my soundmagic pl50's and phonak PFE 012's (same design as the 112's) I had the se215's and they are comfortable enough to sleep in.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 53

Quote:
I can sleep in my Westone 2's.  They are small enough to let me lay on my side.  However the cable isn't detachable, although absence of microphonics is wonderful. 

+1 for westones . I haven't used many different IEM's but my westone 1's are great for sleeping in

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 53
Out of all IEMs I've tried, qjays is best for this purpose.

+1 They fit even deeper with my ears. They are incredibly tiny, think smaller than those tiny jelly beans. Easily the most comfortable iem I have owned, no problem sleeping with them. For something so tiny they also pack quite a punch with their punchy bass.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 53
Westone 1's were the first thing to come to mind, since they pretty much disappear into your ears (no problems for side sleepers). If you wanted to spend a little more for good sound quality when you're not sleeping, get some Triple.fi 10s and have them reshelled into customs. Customs will be your best bet for comfort, and this is the least expensive option.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 53
My Etymotic ER4S's go really deep and leave very little profile outside the ear. Just make sure you amp them well to experience them at their best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back