IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Feb 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #2,402 of 2,837

Quote:
Insert the cable and post that picture. so I can see the difference. Also everyones ears are different and that other pic was definitely a nondetachable cable.

It just feels like its really sticking out there

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2,403 of 2,837

Quote:
Quote:
Insert the cable and post that picture. so I can see the difference. Also everyones ears are different and that other pic was definitely a nondetachable cable.

It just feels like its really sticking out there

that looks about right, only the top is sticking out a bit because of the room needed for the cabling/easily routing the cable over your ears, the rest looks flush to me

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #2,404 of 2,837
So, after a few days with my reshelled Triple.Fi 10s, I can definitely say that I love them.  Right off the bat, the fit is perfect. After 15 minutes or so, it almost feels like I'm not wearing anything in my ears. My ears definitely needed a few hours to get accustomed to wearing customs, because they did feel a little odd at first, but now they feel totally natural. The only IEMs I have that are even remotely as comfortable are my Ety HF3s, and that's just because they're so incredibly tiny. 

As far as the cosmetics, I think they look great. There's one SMALL area on the right earpiece where the acrylic looks a tad "rough" but aside from that, there are almost no visible air bubbles that I can see. The colors came out exactly like I wanted, and they nailed the artwork, based on what I sent them. The placement and size are perfect, and it's totally sharp (I did, of course, send a very hi-res JPG). I had originally requested a clear cable, but mentioned a black would be my second choice if they were out of stock, and I did end up getting the black. Looking at it now, I think I like the black better than most clear ones I've seen.

I really can't say enough good things about this. The sound sig from the TF10s is still there, but more...clear, and pronounced. The bass is tighter and has more direct impact, and the mids are a bit more clear than before. I can only assume it's because of a perfect fit with acrylic, vs the fit I had with my comply tips before. They probably caused some muffling. These things really just sound brand new. Like stock, but better.

Bottom line - worth EVERY penny. Plus, Kaysen was nice enough to refund my rush fee (without being asked!) and throw in free Saturday delivery for me when it was taking longer than I expected. Killer service. I actually just gave away a pair of turbines, and sold off my SE425s because I just don't want other headphones after these. I think I'm only keeping my HF3s, and my Gold Turbines to supplement these. Everything else is useless to me now.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #2,405 of 2,837
I have Fisher custom triple Fi pro 10's

Just about to pack up my Phonak PFE's for shipping and custom fitting.

Anyone had the PFE converted?

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #2,406 of 2,837
Hi All,

Well consider me another very happy guy to have found this community. I have owned my Triple-fi 10's for about a year now, and despite loving the sound quality of the phones, have been very dissapointed with the fit of them - no matter what I did I could never get them to stay in my ears ( I think my ears canals are two narrow). So after finding this wonderful site, the many success stories, and contacting Kaysen; I made an appointment with my local Audiologist to have the impressions made.

I printed out the instruction form and took it with me for the appointment today. As the Dr. introduced herself and I commented on what a beautiful view she had from her window, I noticed that she was getting foam ear dams out and so I politely mentioned the instruction sheet. She took quick glance at the sheet and said "oh yeah, you're right it does say to use the cotton wool one's. Don't worry though; I've been doing this for years and know what I'm doing."

Since she was about to start messing with my most prized sensing equipment, I was not about to start an argument over who know's best with my ears in her hands (so to speak). So in she went with the foam pads. I almost lept out of the chair it hurt so bad. it felt like she was pushing that thing so far down that it was touching my damn ear drum. I yelped and am embarassed to admit my right eye started to leak (please note: I was not crying - there is a difference :) - she asked if I was ok and I said no, and that it really hurt. She said that she couldn't get it down far enough and needed it to go further. I couldn't help but think of the movie Fletch with Chevy Chase. Any of you that have seen that movie will recall his classic line "Geez, you got the whole fist in there doc?".

The left one was painful too but seemed to go in better. The when I thought the worst was over, she injected the putty (not sure what the technical name for it is). If I thought stage one had been painful, stage two was about to take it to another level. Again more wincing with pain and tearing of the eyes (not crying), and then onto the final and most painful stage of all - the removal of the impressions from my ears.

Now, I will never have the opportunity to directly experience the pain of childbirth, but having watched my wife deliver 6 short months ago this did not seem far off. When she took those things out of my ears I jumped out of that seat and though I was going to hit the ceiling tiles! She checked my ears afterwards with the scope thingy and said "hmm, there appears to be a little bit of bleeding". I'm like "d'ya think doc?" So they send me down the hall to the nurse who popped some ear drops in to prevent infection.

As of 2.30pm, 3 1/2 hours since the procedure there is still a little discomfort, but I am no longer tasting blood at the back of my throat as I was for the first couple of hours.

So after all my jibber-jabber (thanks Mr. T for such a great term) - I'm writing this as I wonder if anyone else experienced pain during this process. Is it possible that my ears are just exteremely sensitive today having just recently recovered from a Sinus Infection? If that is what caused my discomfort I wanted to get this out there to warn others not to get their impressions done so soon after recovering from such a thing.

I should probably add that this is not my first rodeo either. As a proffessional musician and music producer, I have been using custom in-ears for about 10 years now, but don't recall the process being so painful last time.

Again my thanks to this community and Fisher for providing a much needed, and much appreciated service to triple-fi owners everywhere.

Andy

(p.s. Accidentally posted this as a new thread while trying to post it inline with this discussion - anyone know how to remove it? Thanks.)

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,407 of 2,837
Do the customs sit far enough inside the ear that u can lay down on ur side with them in? This is really the only problem i have with my TF10s 

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #2,409 of 2,837
Before buying customs from JH or UE or Westone, I thought I should find out if customs would be something that I would actually like. So, I bundled up my Klipsch Cutom 3's (love the sound, hate the fit and cable) with impressions and off to Fisher they go. Should be arriving at Fisher today. For this first foray into customs, I chose clear with colored tips and a clear cable.  Can't wait.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #2,410 of 2,837

Quote:
Before buying customs from JH or UE or Westone, I thought I should find out if customs would be something that I would actually like. So, I bundled up my Klipsch Cutom 3's (love the sound, hate the fit and cable) with impressions and off to Fisher they go. Should be arriving at Fisher today. For this first foray into customs, I chose clear with colored tips and a clear cable.  Can't wait.

tell me how the custom 3's turn out... was wanting to do a second pair of customs and was leaning toward custom 3's

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2,411 of 2,837
Soo tempted to try this. Only thing stopping me is getting the courage up to get the impressions done.  Got a pair of westone 2's that I use at work every day (got for comfort and isolation).  What would be best, getting tips or getting them completely reshelled?

Cheers.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2,412 of 2,837
I would go for the custom tips instead of a reshell. I used to own the W2 and they are small and very comfortable. Excellent build quality and love the westone braided cables.The bonus with custom tips is that you can use them on iems with similar sized nozzles. Are the W2's still in good shape?

Quote:
Soo tempted to try this. Only thing stopping me is getting the courage up to get the impressions done.  Got a pair of westone 2's that I use at work every day (got for comfort and isolation).  What would be best, getting tips or getting them completely reshelled?

Cheers.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,413 of 2,837
I received my reshelled TF10's a little over a week or so ago.  I have to say that Fisher has done an excellent job at making sure they retain the original sound.  I also believe the mids are a little better in the custom shells.  This may be due to the deeper insertion.  Otherwise they are everything I loved about the universal TF10's.

Unfortunately I will need to send them back in for a minor refit due to two small issues.  Too bad, I really don't want to be without them again.  Anyway I can definitely recommend Fisher's service for reshelling the TF10 and maintaining it's great sound.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2,414 of 2,837
i was wondering if Fisher does triple bore for jh16 remolds?  anyone know?

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2,415 of 2,837

I really wanted to write this review for a while now about my experience with Fisher Hearing and Kaysen, so here it is:

• Fit – your IEMs are only as good as your ear impressions so having them done at the hearing professional is a key to get good iems. I was fortunate to find a very good pro in my area and it only cost me $20 for both ears. The guy even suggested to build me a custom IEMs (westone inserts) but it would cost much more than just doing re-shell at Fisher. So going into re-shell process I knew that at least my impressions should be good, which they were – what resulted a great fit of my IEMs. It took me some time for me to understand how to properly set them in, but after that fit and comfort are top notch! And Fisher are re-shelling them going off your impressions so if you have a fit problem – Fisher Hearing probably has very little to do with it. Good impressions = good IEMs.

• Sound Quality – I was very disappointed at first because sound quality was very different from original UE TF10: mids, highs and overall sound was very recessed and had no spark at all. I tried different music sources and different music – but was not satisfied. Had to contact customer service and talk to them. After all things were resolved – I decided to remove green and red wax protectors (I don’t know if you have to keep them in or remove them). But it SIGNIFICANTLY improved sound. Basically my re-shelled TF10 sound now just like original, but fit is MUCH better.

• Visual Appeal – This is another area where you have to know and be able to explain exactly what you want them to do – they can do many things, but your iems will be only as good as you explain, or even better be able to show them. I would suggest Fisher Hearing to start developing a gallery and have explanation of color, transparency levels, etc. so it is easy for customers to order. I had to contact them to resolve some of the things which was basically misunderstanding but all things were resolved, which leads me to my next point:

• Customer Service – It’s absolutely AMAZING. I had to deal to resolve couple of things and they really met all my expectations. They are really working hard to satisfy a customer which is absolutely great and I will definitely recommend working with them.

Here are a couple of pictures of my re-shelled TF10 in transparent white with pearl effect and transparent cable from Fisher:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back