IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Feb 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,386 of 2,837
Just got mine back from fisher its my first custom iem. Felt weird at first like having a q-tip in your ear but it gradually goes away. Heres 2 things that i noticed:

1. I completely lose all bass when i tilt my head up. Bass is fine if i look straight forward or facing down.
2. I tried jogging with them on and bass would constantly drop in and out as my feet hit the ground.

Is suppose to be like this? I dont think its a bad mold cuz the seal is fine if i just sit in 1 spot and listen on my iem without moving my head much and not looking up at the ceiling. It sounds great actually, even better than stock. But that kinda defeats the whole point of getting iem for portability. BTW, when i did the impressions, my audiologist did have me open and close my jaw. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2,387 of 2,837
i have the exact problem. Your muscles move when u turn ur head in any direction. the IEM is a solid thing so it wont bend with ur ear. I also took mine running and i find it impossible to run with. I constantly hear every step i take and its loud!

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,388 of 2,837

i have the exact problem. Your muscles move when u turn ur head in any direction. the IEM is a solid thing so it wont bend with ur ear. I also took mine running and i find it impossible to run with. I constantly hear every step i take and its loud!

I'm kinda bummed out that I can't use these customs to workout which was what I wanted to use them for in the first place.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #2,389 of 2,837
i think you might be able to if u make the fit tighter. I didnt bother because i felt bad for sending it back twice already. But they are very nice people and will work to get the fit right.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2,390 of 2,837

Quote:

I'm kinda bummed out that I can't use these customs to workout which was what I wanted to use them for in the first place.

Thats too bad. I use mine to work out everyday. Well almost every day. I always start on a spinner bike and then head off to the weights. Then finish with about 45min to 1hr of ab/back work on the mats and roman chair. Thet work flawlessly for me. I dont do any running though.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2,391 of 2,837

Quote:
Thats too bad. I use mine to work out everyday. Well almost every day. I always start on a spinner bike and then head off to the weights. Then finish with about 45min to 1hr of ab/back work on the mats and roman chair. Thet work flawlessly for me. I dont do any running though.

It will work fine if i keep my head steady but thats not really possible while running. Like Uruha's issue, i could hear every step when i run but also lose bass (i listen to EDM* only). I will have to switch back to universals now with foam tips. 
frown.gif
 Monster turbine copper? Westone 4? ...my quest for the perfect iem never ends

* Electronic Dance Music - trance, house, etc.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2,393 of 2,837

Quote:
Quote:

It will work fine if i keep my head steady but thats not really possible while running. Like Uruha's issue, i could hear every step when i run but also lose bass (i listen to EDM* only). I will have to switch back to universals now with foam tips. 
frown.gif
 Monster turbine copper? Westone 4? ...my quest for the perfect iem never ends

* Electronic Dance Music - trance, house, etc.

sounds like you're having fitment issues, movement of the head/neck and eating shouldn't affect the fit

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #2,394 of 2,837

Quote:
sounds like you're having fitment issues, movement of the head/neck and eating shouldn't affect the fit

As i mention this is my first custom iem..how do i know if the "fit" is perfect? When i have them on, i can still clearly hear ambient noise and people talking around me..just at a lower volume. It surely does not feel completely sealed off like how i use to have using the comply foam tips on my triplefi stock.

@Uhura do u use your westone 3 to workout?

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2,395 of 2,837
If both of your ears are getting the same amount of "seal" then that's a good sign.
When you put your finger on your monitor and push upwards, that should break the seal which will result in a small "pop" just like when you pull silicone tips out of your ears.
My customs seal more than any other headphones I have ever owned and are on par or maybe a little better than the triple flanges that come with etymotic headphones.  It is possible to get a good seal but not a lot of isolation though.  I have read some reviews on UM customs that say they don't isolate too much because the nozzle is shorter or something like that even though the fit is very good.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #2,396 of 2,837

Quote:
If both of your ears are getting the same amount of "seal" then that's a good sign.
When you put your finger on your monitor and push upwards, that should break the seal which will result in a small "pop" just like when you pull silicone tips out of your ears.
My customs seal more than any other headphones I have ever owned and are on par or maybe a little better than the triple flanges that come with etymotic headphones.  It is possible to get a good seal but not a lot of isolation though.  I have read some reviews on UM customs that say they don't isolate too much because the nozzle is shorter or something like that even though the fit is very good.

Both ears do have the same amount of seal...however when i push upwards, it doesn't POP like you mention. Although if i push "inward" i get a complete seal similar to my comply foams...maybe i just need to get these adjusted to fit tighter? Does fisher sand down the molds cause it looks like it from the bore ends.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #2,397 of 2,837

Quote:
Quote:

Both ears do have the same amount of seal...however when i push upwards, it doesn't POP like you mention. Although if i push "inward" i get a complete seal similar to my comply foams...maybe i just need to get these adjusted to fit tighter? Does fisher sand down the molds cause it looks like it from the bore ends.

You probably just need to do the clear nail polish trick. Just put some on in the areas you think need to thicken up and if you guess wrong wipe it off and try again. Once you get a nice seal just call fisher and you should know exactly what parts need to be made thicker. This technique was actually suggested in a thread by sleek audio by the IEM makers themselves.

What I did to check the seal might not be the best way and other suggestions may come in but I put them in my ears and turned on my stereo to a radio station that did not come in so basically all I got was loud static. Then I adjusted the volume so I could barely hear the static if not at all. Then I moved my head and jaw around. I knew immediately I had a bad seal because when I opened my mouth I could hear the static get significantly louder. It was quite obvious. At this point add the polish and try again until you get a good seal no matter what you do with your jaw or head. Again, once you get it perfect call fisher, they may or may not want you to just leave the polish on so they can see the areas that need build up.

Good luck to you, and remember, this is a very tricky thing, they are making a very exact piece that is custom to just you and its hard to get it perfect without adjustments. Just try to be patient because once you get it solved it will fit perfect and will be worth all the waiting. But I still think the microphonics wont allow you to run with them.

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #2,399 of 2,837
is it suppose to stick out this much when you wear them?

I was hoping it would fit more like this:

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2,400 of 2,837
I think they make it as low profile as possible. Do realize that they also need room for the jack and cable to come out of the monitors so it doesnt hurt ur ears. Perhaps if the cable was inside the monitor , they would be able to make it a little slimmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back