IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Dec 11, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #556 of 2,837
I mean thats for that specific IEM only and who can guarantee that when you get yours, it will have the same distance from the drivers to your eardrums (which is most likely where you get the sound differences) as everybody else.

And how would this differ from well made custom tips? If there are more parts of the IEM touching your ear, I would imagine you would get a better feeling of bass?

Sorry if I'm crapping on your thread InEarz. I'm just trying to see the pros and cons of this thing clearly

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #557 of 2,837
Well, it's a risk I am willing to take. I have UM56 sleeves for the UM3X, and they improved the sound. If the reshelled Trips have a little more bass, fine with me. I guess that's why I am keeping two pair.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #558 of 2,837
I see. Please do a quick review on the differences between the custom, the universal and the custom tip (I'm assuming they fit?) triple fis.

Also, sorry for OT, but how much did the UM56 run you?

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #560 of 2,837
Well I sent off my triple.fi's to fisher hearing yesterday in what was a surprisingly shorter amount of time than I expected. crappy photos courtesy of my iPhone.

got my triple.fi 10vi's from amazonia on tuesday...

4176749632_07b4c76baa.jpg

called around on wednesday and made an appt with the audiologist for thursday morning. this was their fancy schmancy office...

4175989509_bd95d0a6f3.jpg

and this was their giant xmas tree. much bigger than my non-existent one at home...

4175989027_cc8a77e938.jpg

took 10 minutes and $30 to get these impressions. they were gooey and made me feel cold inside...

4176748448_33fef8240d.jpg

clear UE custom cable was delivered yesterday as well. they're faaaar superior in quality/construction to the stock 10vi cable. so glad i got them, but UE could easily have designed the triple.fi's with these. I guess that's the perks of the custom UEs, comfort. got it all ready to go...

4175990289_4f33ef2725.jpg

decided to go with the slightly lighter translucent purple shells...

4176748172_a6fb08b4bc.jpg

Sent it all priority mail (2 day) via usps yesterday. should be in sunny FL by monday. hopefully it'll be done by the end of next week and I'll get it early the following week. excited!
beerchug.gif
now i just have to sit and wait.
popcorn.gif

i made a playlist and listened to those few songs repeatedly for the 2 1/2 days I had my triple.fi 10s. I'll relisten to the playlist a few times and post a short review and note any differences I hear when I get them back from Fisher.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #562 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by ravissimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

decided to go with the slightly lighter translucent purple shells...

Do post the pics when you receive them. I'm also very interested in that color, may be trans dark purple. I hate anything that looks bright or light
smile_phones.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #563 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by ravissimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
called around on wednesday and made an appt with the audiologist for thursday morning. this was their fancy schmancy office...

4175989509_bd95d0a6f3.jpg

Can you please let me know the office location? I work in Camrbidge.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #564 of 2,837
An update on my status. I was told that my reshelled TF10's will be shipped on Monday, so I am expecting them by Wednesday or Thursday. The folks at Fisher have promised a picture as soon as they are finished and before they are packed away and I will post it here when I get it. I'm really excited to see how they look and especially how they sound.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #565 of 2,837
my apologies, I received a PM about this too. I'm not currently in Cambridge. I'm temporarily in San Antonio, TX and I figured I'd get the ear impressions here because it's a bit easier to get around here. No car in Cambridge.

I contacted InEarZ for some audiologist recommendations though. I suggest asking her or searching online. Also, when you call around, be sure to indicate that you only want the ear impressions, i.e. just the silicone material in the ear. you don't want actual ear "molds". otherwise they'll want $100+. just the impressions should not run you more than $50 hopefully, even in Boston.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please let me know the office location? I work in Camrbidge.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #566 of 2,837
Alright, after reading through this entire forum, it seems to me that most, if not all, the people who re-shelled their Shure SE530's are pretty happy with the results. On my 530's the left ear-bud strain relief ended up coming loose, and can now move freely about the cable (has no effect on SQ whatsoever, but does become a nuisance). I figure I'd try to fix it with glue (but really who wants to take glue to a pair of really nice IEMs?), but then I stumble across the option to do some custom-reshelling. I'd say I'm pretty much on the verge of sending my 530's in to get re-shelled.

So for those of you that did send your 530's in for re-shelling, are you guys happy with your decisions (worth it?)

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #567 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. Please do a quick review on the differences between the custom, the universal and the custom tip (I'm assuming they fit?) triple fis.

Also, sorry for OT, but how much did the UM56 run you?

I'm basically in the same situation atm, trying to decide whether I should fully reshell or just get custom tips for my Westone 3 or TF10 pro.

I'd reshell the Westone 3 just for the detachable cable...

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #568 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm basically in the same situation atm, trying to decide whether I should fully reshell or just get custom tips for my Westone 3 or TF10 pro.

If you know what Sound Sig you like and have found it in the IEM, then custom is a good direction to consider. If you are the type of person who constantly changes IEM then maybe going for custom tips or just leaving it alone is wiser.

Full custom is more convenient, easier to pop in and out of your ears, no worry about foam tips, same isolation every time, very comfortable, replaceable/upgradable cable, aesthetic in that it blends into your ear. Now if you customize an IEM you don't really enjoy, then you probably just wasted $.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #570 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you know is the um56 is the only choice for custom tips?

EDIT: Just remembered ACS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back