IEM's in an odd situation
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Justin US

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am looking for my first set of in-ear monitors, but they are to be used in a somewhat peculiar situation, so here we go.

I work in a physics/materials science laboratory, and there is a constant medium-loud drone from turbo pumps (ultra-high vacuum system). I would like to listen to music as I work (hopefully it will decrease ear fatigue from the steady drone) but I would like to be able to hear if the droning of the motors suddenly changes or decreases in volume. I don't know much but it seems as though there's no such thing as an "open back" IEM(?), but I'd like recommendations for any IEM's that won't isolate me.

I just ordered a Xuelin 780 that will be used with whatever listening solution I come up with. For reference, I currently listen to vinyl/everything else with a pair of Shure SRH440's, which I love. I've used those for the last 6 years. Whatever I buy will probably be what I use for a long time- I'm pretty happy at the lower-end audiophile range and tend not to upgrade.

Mostly Jazz, Blues, Indie, Alt, Songwriter type stuff. Rap. Some rock. I love that flat studio monitor style with a little something added to keep things from getting cold and sharp.

I guess this breaks my lurker status, huh?

(thanks to whoever reads my rambling)

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 10
I think you should look into a Dunu Titan 1. Its design allows for a kind of half-in quality that will allow you to hear some of what is going on around you while still hearing your music. You can also always play with the tips to optimize your experience appropriately. You might read about it and see what you think. It could work for you. Around $90 on amazon, so not too bad.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Actually, funny you mention that, I was reminded of something I saw before. Westone has this IEM for stage performers which basically "leaks" a certain amount of ambient noise into the headphone. Maybe this is what your looking for? Model is AM Pro 10 though it's a bit out of your price range at $190... Worth a look at least?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 10
Hello all,

I am looking for my first set of in-ear monitors, but they are to be used in a somewhat peculiar situation, so here we go.

I work in a physics/materials science laboratory, and there is a constant medium-loud drone from turbo pumps (ultra-high vacuum system). I would like to listen to music as I work (hopefully it will decrease ear fatigue from the steady drone) but I would like to be able to hear if the droning of the motors suddenly changes or decreases in volume. I don't know much but it seems as though there's no such thing as an "open back" IEM(?), but I'd like recommendations for any IEM's that won't isolate me.

You can get a custom in-ear monitor with an ambient port. Vocalists use it so they can hear the crowd without having to point their mics at them, allowing them to banter with them.

I'm thinking of somewhere around $70-> not too much more than $100, flexible. If it takes more money, I'm happy to sit on it for a while.

You're gonna have to spend a lot more for that though.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Hmmmm....
Yeah, I'm a graduate student haha. I don't think I would feel comfortable even saving up $300+ dollars for iem. Maybe certain other audio equipment, but not iem.

So am I. Spent that much on an IEM too but for a different reason: something easily visible in my ears so people would either not bother me or if they have to, they'd know to get my attention other than just by saying so from across the room.

The problem with the CIEM ambient ports though is that if you can find one for not a lot more than $300,chances are it's not a good single driver IEM (note that there are a few good single driver designs otherwise). You'd have to blow around $500++ for a decent dual driver with an ambient port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back