IEMS for Galaxy S3 (Mic/Volume Controls) £100 Budget
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DramatikBeats

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for some IEMS for my Galaxy S3 (Android) that have a mic. I have the Sony MH1C's but the heavy remote and the J-cord are annoying me, can't wear them for more than 5 minutes in the street without an earbud falling out. Wasn't a fan of the Klipsch Image S4's either since they didn't sound as good as my M2's. I am a fan of bass but it doesn't need to be overkill. I generally listen to Hip Hop/RnB/Dubstep

My maximum budget is £100 (MAYBE £120). Thanks!

Edit: I've had a glance at some earphones that have a mic. Any recommendations out of this group?

Meelectronics A161P - I've been told these have a different sound signature compared to the M2's. I'm fine with that as long as they still have decent bass
Phonak Audeo 122
Monster Turbines - I hear these aren't much of an upgrade
Meelectronics CC51p
Brainwavz M5
Phonak Audeo 022

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 14
Bumpity Bump

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 14
Bump.............

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 14
I can really only say anything about the Klipsch X10s and the Monster Turbine Pro Golds. I own the mic-less version of the Klipsch X10s and I absolutely love them, they are amazing for most any genre, the bass booms where you need it to and the treble soars where its wanted. As for the Pro Golds (I hope those are the Turbines you are talking about?) the bass is VERY boomy, but still tight and controlled, I used a pair that my friend owned for my dubstep music and really like them. Unfortunately at the time I didnt listen to any treble heavy music so I have no clue what they sound like on treble. Only thing I dont like about the Turbine Pro Golds is how large and heavy they are, vs. the X10s that are almost non-existent once you put them in your ears. 

One bit of bad news is that I dont know if the controls will even work on an S3. I know for a fact that they are both 3-Button orientated, to be used with iDevices. In my experience, which is limited to the 3-Button wire that came with my V-Moda LP2s, even with an app the center button does not work, nor did the volume controls. Im under the impression (anyone please correct me if Im wrong) that if the controls, or at least the center button, do not work then the mic will not work either.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for your reply, I was actually talking about the standard turbines, simply because the pro golds are a good £200 (£80 OVER my budget) Looks like thats the X10i off the list as well then, saw an earlier thread where someone bought them and the mic didn't work. thanks for your input :)

So my options are now limited to 

Meelectronics A161P - Love the look of these
Phonak Audeo 122
Etymotic HF2 - I hear these are lacking in the bass department though
Meelectronics CC51p
Brainwavz M5
Phonak Audeo 022

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 14
The X10i on Amazon UK is only £132, a mere £12 more than you mention, personally I would happily pay that much, they are deffinately worth it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 14
I'm fairly sure the x10i's are NOT android compatible, but double check that.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I'm fairly sure the x10i's are NOT android compatible, but double check that.

Im positive they wont be, anything that has 3 buttons most likely will not work with an Android platform, the middle button will work if youre lucky, but only to play and pause. The volume buttons and mic most likely will not work.

Honestly you would have better luck buying some on/over ear headphones with a removable cable, then  buying one of V-Modas single button cables.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the replies guys. A shame that the X10i's don't work. I'll dig around a bit to see if at least the mic/middle button works, not too bothered about the volume controls. I've noticed that Meelectronics do a lot of P series iems that are android compatible but whether they sound a lot better than M2's I can't really tell. The A161P's do 100% work with android, but I've been told their sound signature is a lot different to the M2's, which I wouldn't mind if I knew how heavy/light they are in the bass department. On ears are cool for when I'm at home but much prefer IEMS when I'm on the street. Looks like I've got some hunting to do.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 14
I'm waiting for a pair of Dual Driver phones from Degauss Labs (aka Yet Another New Swedish Headphone Brand). They have the good taste to make their phones with an Android option, but it remains to be seen if they are more than a pretty phone accessory. They should show up soon.

I've been looking for IEM headsets without "Made for iPhone" plastered over them as well, and the options are few. Etymotic HF2 is an Android option to HF5/HF3, but they would stretch your budget and I don't think they would suit your taste in music at all.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 14
i have the pfe 022, and the button works perfectly with my galaxy nexus. its only one button, one press for pause and play, double press for forward track, triple for backward.
the mic works, not sure how good, but people on the other side of the call havent had any problems understanding me haha

it comes with the green filters, titled perfect bass and the bass is really good for a ba driver, maybe not enough for bassheads but definitely good enough for the music to sound good (i have dubstep too and the wob wob wobs come out very sexily... sorry not that much of an audiophile yet so not sure how to describe)
however after a week i decided to try and buy the grey filters, and now the sound is alot less muddy, more clear, less bass but it is nice and tight

so i guess if you would sacrifice some clarity for more bass you would go for the pfe 022, if not the pfe 122 which comes with grey and black filteres (haven't tried black though)

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
i have the pfe 022, and the button works perfectly with my galaxy nexus. its only one button, one press for pause and play, double press for forward track, triple for backward.
the mic works, not sure how good, but people on the other side of the call havent had any problems understanding me haha

it comes with the green filters, titled perfect bass and the bass is really good for a ba driver, maybe not enough for bassheads but definitely good enough for the music to sound good (i have dubstep too and the wob wob wobs come out very sexily... sorry not that much of an audiophile yet so not sure how to describe)
however after a week i decided to try and buy the grey filters, and now the sound is alot less muddy, more clear, less bass but it is nice and tight

so i guess if you would sacrifice some clarity for more bass you would go for the pfe 022, if not the pfe 122 which comes with grey and black filteres (haven't tried black though)

Quote:
^
also, their the most comfortable iem i have tried

The PFE's do sound like a good option although someone else said they wouldn't suit my tastes but you say they have enough bass, and they do have tuneable filters. I can get these for £80 or the Klipsch X10i's for £132.............are the klipsch images really worth that much more? I can also get the MEElectronics A161P's for £90. I am starting to swerve towards the PFE series now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back