IEMs for ~$170 for acoustical recordings. Help needed! (Vsonic GR07? UE Triplefi 10?)
Oct 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

treecko2694

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new set of IEMs. They would be powered with my Sansa Clip+. I mostly listen to acoustical recordings (Diana Krall, Sinatra, Liebert, Tallest Man on Earth, Fatou Diawara, and similar), so I want something that really shines with this kind of music.

My other IEMs are the Klipsch S4, which I've owned for 2 years now. I don't really enjoy their sound signature, since it's a bit too dark for my taste. I'd love to have a sound signature as close to Audio Technicas AD900's.

My two candidates, for now, are the Vsonic GR07 and the Triplefi. 10. To be honest, I haven't done a lot of research this time around, so I'm open for suggestions.

Thank you head-fiers!

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Audeo PFE122s sound good for acoustic as well. The GR07s you mentioned are great for that stuff as well. Would advise against the TF10s in this case, better for more electronic stuff, the timbre lacks against the other choices you have.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 19
I own GR07 MK2, EX600, Triple-fi 10.

EX600 are not on par with either GR07 MK2 or TF10. They lack vivid detail in mids and highs, timbre is less then natural when GR07 MK2 is concerned. I have owned all three for several months now, where EX600 shine is soundtage width and imaging. Don't get me wrong, they're a nice IEM which do acoustics well but when put up against something like GR07 MK2 you can clearly hear the lack in sound quality, clarity, bite, detail and separation. After testing each several times back and forth I stand by that solidly.

They're a purchase I regret buying and I'm kinda stuck with them because they won't move on the for sale section here. You can easily purchase EX600 it will sound good I'll give them that, Or, you can also purchase GR07 MK2 and be blown away.

Without beating around the bush GR07 MK2 are the pick for your genres over Triple-fi 10 unless you want to sacrifice that excellent naturalness for separation and obvious micro detailing TF10 present better, but the timbre's off for acoustics. Overall for the natural timbre you want GR07 can't be beaten. Just saying it how I see it on the threads everyday and being an owner for several months.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 19
Thank you both! I've read that before, seems like the GR07 are a pretty amazing choice. And I got my soundstage needs covered with the AD900, so no problem there.

Do they need to be amped? I see the impedance on the GR07 is 50 ohms, and 44.5 for the MK2. Remember my source is a Clip+.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Thank you both! I've read that before, seems like the GR07 are a pretty amazing choice. And I got my soundstage needs covered with the AD900, so no problem there.

Do they need to be amped? I see the impedance on the GR07 is 50 ohms, and 44.5 for the MK2. Remember my source is a Clip+.

No you won't need an amp for them with Clip+. They would sound even better with something like Cowon C2 though. :wink:

Goodluck.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
No you won't need an amp for them with Clip+. They would sound even better with something like Cowon C2 though.
wink.gif

Goodluck.

But I love Rockbox SO MUCH! haha

Thank you H20, it seems like the Vsonics are the ones.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 19
Hi. Are there anything as good as GR07 but with a laidback projection? I am interested to get a pair for almost the same reason, solely for acoustic fingerstyle guitar and I like a more distanced projection or imaging depth in soundstage (wide is also good too). I find it makes the acoustic more 3D and also a little more 'relaxed' with a little 'hall effect' sitting a few rows back from stage. I prefer this signature than having the acoustic guitar played almost next to my ears (too forward and unpleasant).

I got a few good leads from good guys here : ) and I'm considering on UE700, maybe the 1964EARS's V3, Westone 4 (it's a bit more expensive). Would you know how does the GR07 compare to them?

Thanks in advance : )

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 19
Hi. Are there anything as good as GR07 but with a laidback projection? I am interested to get a pair for almost the same reason, solely for acoustic fingerstyle guitar and I like a more distanced projection or imaging depth in soundstage (wide is also good too). I find it makes the acoustic more 3D and also a little more 'relaxed' with a little 'hall effect' sitting a few rows back from stage. I prefer this signature than having the acoustic guitar played almost next to my ears (too forward and unpleasant).
I got a few good leads from good guys here : ) and I'm considering on UE700, maybe the 1964EARS's V3, Westone 4 (it's a bit more expensive). Would you know how does the GR07 compare to them?

Sorry I haven't heard the others you mentioned to compare. If you haven't already leave a post and ask ljokerl in this thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-257-iems-compared-hisoundaudio-wooduo-2-added-10-10-12

Hopefully he has some suggestions for you.

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 19
Also check out the Fischer audio DBA-02 MKII

Regards

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

ertai, check out the Sennheiser IE8 (not 80). I listened to a live Freddie Mercury performance, and it was the best at reproducing the atmosphere. If that's not an option, look into the Aurisonics ASG-1.2

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 19
I own GR07 MK2, EX600, Triple-fi 10.
EX600 are not on par with either GR07 MK2 or TF10. They lack vivid detail in mids and highs, timbre is less then natural when GR07 MK2 is concerned. I have owned all three for several months now, where EX600 shine is soundtage width and imaging. Don't get me wrong, they're a nice IEM which do acoustics well but when put up against something like GR07 MK2 you can clearly hear the lack in sound quality, clarity, bite, detail and separation. After testing each several times back and forth I stand by that solidly.
They're a purchase I regret buying and I'm kinda stuck with them because they won't move on the for sale section here. You can easily purchase EX600 it will sound good I'll give them that, Or, you can also purchase GR07 MK2 and be blown away.
Without beating around the bush GR07 MK2 are the pick for your genres over Triple-fi 10 unless you want to sacrifice that excellent naturalness for separation and obvious micro detailing TF10 present better, but the timbre's off for acoustics. Overall for the natural timbre you want GR07 can't be beaten. Just saying it how I see it on the threads everyday and being an owner for several months.

Just want to clarify that H2O is in the minority about the EX600s. For instance, James puts them on par with the flagship FX700, and most of us, including Joker, agree that they're only a tiny step down from the EX1000.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #15 of 19
Just want to clarify that H2O is in the minority about the EX600s. For instance, James puts them on par with the flagship FX700, and most of us, including Joker, agree that they're only a tiny step down from the EX1000.

Yep that I may be, but I stand solidly on my opinion about them. Yes, they're good, but they aren't better, especially when compared to GR07 MK2.

We'll have to leave it that I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back